• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By deadbuzzard

Thread: Easy Theming Tip

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times

Easy Theming Tip

Here is a simple way to change some of the icons or pictures in some of the Themes or some Apps with existing ones from other Themes.
    (This is mainly for .png images as they are not as complicated as .9.png images)

Tools:
    7-zip
    Images that you want ( I will not go into how to edit images, to do so requires a photo editing software)

In this example I will be using the ICS_Blue_softkeys (posted by t1nk) and the Stock_Battery Mod (posted by unikorn) thanks guys!

1) First download what you want to change

2)
    Next Extract the zip file contain the images you want.

3)
    Most Likely You will See the following folders

4) Go into the system folder and the fallowing folders will be shown (usually)

5) In this example we want to go into the app folder to edit the systemUI.apk and extract the systemUI.apk (this will apply to any apk that you want to edit)

6) Images are contained in the res folder. Ones that are normally replaced are the softkeys (in this example) or battery, wifi or other icons.
    So in the drawable-mdpi are found the softkeys images and the drawable-sw600dp-mdpi are where battery images are located

7) Copy the images that you want to move over to the other apk

8) So now you need to go back to the other zip that you want to add or change the images and open up the apk in 7-zip (you don't need to extract it).

Basically you just need to double click on the zip folder and into the folder containing the apk. Then double click on the apk to open it in 7-zip. Follow the folder tree as seen above when we extracted the other one earlier to get to the correct location where we want to place the the new images in. In this example the drawable-mdpi folder. Next drag the images over into the folder and you will get a warning message, just click yes.

9) Flash the new zip containing your new images. So in this example we will have the Blue Softkeys with the Stock 1% battery mod. Hopefully this will help some of you out!

Notes:

Phones contain other folders than tablets due to their size.

As always make a backup before flashing your new theme!
    Last edited by deadbuzzard; 09-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    t1nk, JiveTurkee, batfish and 5 others like this.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
    Liked
    67 times
    Thanks for all your help, deadbuzzard. You ARE da man!!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    good tutorial. This is how I changed a lot of my icons out. Very easy to do.
    Check out my custom ROM: Favum ICS Version 2.0
    If you're feeling generous, I'm taking
    donations.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Awesome post, thanks deadbuzzard! You've helped to demystify the process of theming. Can't wait for the chance to try this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I must agree that this helps take some of the mystery out of how theming works ... to be honest i dident know one could open a .apk file in such a manner .... this makes some of the ideas i had for customizing my thrive seem a bit less unlikely now
    16GB Thrive AT100 running DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ICS 4.0.4 with Turboprop Mod and the ported Red Cobalt theme by "t1nk"
    I accidentally let my mind wander and it never came back! O.=.o
    Charizard terminator avatar pic by angelonero on deviantart.com

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    I'm glad it helped! I feel this will allow users to theme their own thrive to their own taste and feel

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    4ptiv4
    So I'm guessing our beloved Thrive is mdpi?
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive 10.1" (CM10 thanks tybar, pio, and jbettcher)
    Phone: Cricket GS3 AOKP 4/15/13 @ 1.89GHz / Retired & Working LG Optimus C (CM7.2 - BobZhome) & Motorola Droid X (CM9 on .621 OTA)

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    yes I think most tablets are, however many of the images from other phone roms could work if they are the same size.

Remove Ads

Ads