• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need Help

I finally did the Toshiba update and ever since my Tablet has been acting erratic and has gotten steadily slower and slower so I started searching here for possible solutions.I have read many of these posts here on this site but as I'm a 75 yr old duffer that is pretty much computer illiterate. I thought I'd etter inquire about a specific solution. From what I have been able to gather from this site, here's what I've got. My about tablet says this:
    Model At100
    Android version 4.0.4
    Kernal version:
    2.6.39.4-g2388484
    Android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1
    SMP Preempt Mon jul 23 11:22:12IST2012
    Build number
    IMM76D.01.000072314

Based on the above is there a way to do this root thing that I've read so much about here on this forum? Can I possibly do same without destroying the complete system?
    Again, I'm pretty much a dummy

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Hi doublest,

Have you tried a factory reset? This will wipe all your files, photos, documents, music, videos and installed apps on your tablet, though, and take it back to a hopefully clean install of ICS 4.0.4.

Otherwise, yes, there is a way to get root and install Dapel's ICS ROM, but you do have to be careful when doing it. Do you have files on the tablet that you don't want to lose?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks much for the response
    No, I have not tried the reset. To be honest, I don't really know how to do same. As mentioned, I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to these electronic gizmos.
    I don't have any user files that I'm aware of. I do have some apps that I would like to retain.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    If your apps where installed through Google Play Store or Amazon App store, they can easily be reinstalled. However, after a factory reset, all data for the apps will be lost. One can use Helium to back up most apps and data. Just make sure to save backups to either the external sdcard, the cloud our some other external storage, as a factory reset erases all internal storage.

Might want to try clearing the system cache before doing a full factory reset.

Wipe Cache (safe)

Go into Recovery (after powering down, hold the Volume + and Power Button -- Use Volume rocker to navigate & Power button to select)

Select the large icon with the open box and arrow (don't panic when you see the Andy Android down for the count)

Wipe/clear cache partition

Reboot

Factory Reset (wipes device clean erasing all installed apps & data)

Follow the above steps but select Factory Reset/Restore.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    After some further thought, I realize that there is some user data I need to retain. I went to my settings menu and found the backup/restore. They are both checked. Is there a way to determine if they work or not. I tried to do a Toshiba backup using the Toshiba file manager. It no longer works as it did when I first set up my Thrive. Is there any other way to back up? Sorry to ask so many questions bt as I mentioned I'm a real dummy and don't want to screw this thing up any more than it already is.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    I'd expect that the Toshiba backup no longer works, since Toshiba provides such little support for the Thrive. Android does allow you to back up things like contacts and which apps are installed (which Android starts downloading and installing once you wipe the device and sign into your Google account), but the backing up doesn't include app data.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Use Helium to back up what Google doesn't.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I really want to thank everyone who has contributed recommendations to solving my dilemma. I followed the suggestion that I use Helium as a backup app. One problem. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to computers. I downloaded the app an then when it came to installing the requested drivers, I couldn't figure out how, so I came back to this forum and found a link and you tube video on how to proceed. I thought I was on the trail to success. WRONG! I followed the link only to find that it was no longer available. [Account suspended]. Does anyone have an answer that even a complete idiot can follow. I have watched you tube vids out the ying-yang and have followed every link I can find on Google on installing the darn thing but have found nothing I can understand. Sorry to be such a dumb a$$.
    P.S. Per prior posts after a factory reset what would be the recommended pathway to pursue?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Hi Doublest,

This should help you out:

my thrive is very slow !!! (pg 4; for Helium instructions)
    my thrive is very slow !!! (pg 2; for ADB drivers)

Kind Regards,
    The Meddling Monk

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks much Monk! Boy I must have a black cloud hovering overhead. I tried following the above suggestions to no avail. e.g. I installed the usb drivers for the Thrive per the DalePl's tutorial. I installed Helium on my Thrive as well . When I connect via usb cable, I get no results. Helium doesn't recognize my tablet. When I go to windows explorer, my thrive shows up as another drive as AT100 in addition to the other drives and I can expand its contents. On the Helium troubleshooting page they suggest cable could be the problem, I get the same results with 3 different usb cables. With each of the different cables, windows explorer shows AT100 as a distinct drive. Per Helium support First step troubleshooting page: Check your Windows device manager to ensure that there are no driver issues. If there is a yellow triangle by your device, then there is a driver issue that you need to address. Checked and no flag. I'm contacted clockwork for ideas but no reply yet other than acknowledgement of my query.I'm getting more confused by the day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads