• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: [Editorial] Now That Samsung Was Found Liable, What are the Potential Ramifications?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well apple may dominate the industry now but eventually their days are numbered,
    just remember steve jobs is not here no more(may he rest in peace) but there could be only one steve jobs and he was the creator of mostly everything he put out there, so eventually apple will run out of ideas someday and won't be at the top forever like they are now. Me personally don't see any big deal in owning any apple device now when mostly everything has to come from the itunes store so in other words apple is locked up when android is free and there maybe apple hacks out there but wouldn't be as free as android, to me apple is greedy for money and would do everything they could to stay on top but the will fall one day. I love the fact of having control over my devices that apple owners can't.

Running Dale's ICS rooted

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I have an iPhone, iMac, had two iPod Touches. I like Apple products, it is simple and easy. I also like my Thrive, and androids. It may be a little tough to transition from one OS to another, but over time its worth the confusion of getting to know the OS/device. I will keep my language clean, but it will not fully express my opinion. I think Apple is immature, and a bug nuisance with the stupid patent accusations. The company almost died in the 90's, and now it is a very successful company. Just play the game fair, its an open market for all companies to compete. And I'm not sure how true it is, but I keep hearing that Apple patents stupid things and it's like a trap for other companies to fall into. If that's true Apple is truly a big baby. I understand if Apple patents a new technology that's worth another company to to copy, just pay royalties or whatever the term is called. But to accuse other companies of similar designs or ideas is just plain dumb. I was debating on whether to keep my iPhone 4 or upgrade to the galaxy s3. I might as well upgrade lol.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Apple is worth $600B, equivalent to DOW 40,000. So, they must be doing something right and I don't think it's all from protecting their patents. My problem is with the US Patent Office who grants these patents in the first place. How many of us have sat around the table when someone offers an idea and said we were just thinking the same thing? There is no way someone in any office thinks of these things in a vacuum while no one somewhere else isn't thinking up the same thing. It's like patenting the idea of putting 4 wheels on something to make a wagon. If Apple had existed back then, you can bet they'd have the patent.
    ttmoo, rosalie, Lion and 1 others like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Scrolling and multi-touch zoom included
    More here
    Apple Emerges Victorious In Patent Trial Against Samsung : The Two-Way : NPR
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Here's a post of mine @ another forum August 21......

I'm reading the paper this morning and see where apple's stock surge's to $621 billion dollars.Beating the market capitalization by Microsoft corp during the internet boom.Apples stock hit new highs recently because of the optimism around impending launch of iPhone 5 and a smaller cheap tablet.. Is just me an idiot seeing no --cents-- in this at all or is all these people just the smart ones..I just don't get it I try and rap my mind around apple and it just can't figuare it out.. I guess my hats off to Jobs and the crap he ripped off and built apple with Kudo's... My 2 cents........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

Then August 24....
    Add another B....I'm starting to figure this apple thing out sit back and sue .....hehe..
    Last edited by BusyOne; 08-25-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    JB-cm10-Kuroikaze Shinka b-21 Rom & tweaked w/pimp my rom

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Regardless, whatever happens, when these megagiants loose the ability to to work things out outside of the courts, the consumer looses. I think people would be shocked to know how much of the premium they are paying for Apple products is going to enforce bogus patents. My father was a professional photographer. His photographs were continually being used with out his approval. I asked him why he didn't persue those who were using his images. He told me that it did him no good to do so because he would end up with an enemy and a couple of bucks. That is not a good trade. The only thing that matters in business is that you put a quality product in a customers hand that they perceive has a good value. If you can do this the rest will fall into place. Asking your customers to pay for lawsuits in place of product is a recipe for disaster.
    nervad likes this.
    Rooted, Clocked and ready to rock!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Not to stick up for Apple, but are you saying people should be free to steal the work of others? Companies buy other companies all the time for nothing more than the patents they hold and they pay large sums for them. Patents are a commodity just like anything else. If Samsung stole, they should be punished. If the patent is bogus, it should be rescinded. But the test is not whether we like Apple or not. Samsung and others do just as much to protect their property as Apple does, maybe their patents just aren't as valuable. If other companies can't design something useful to me and Apple provides the only product that is, so be it. Plus, Apple doesn't force anyone to buy their products or invest in their stock. The only thing that upsets me about Apple is that I let my bullheadedness keep me from buying Apple stock back in the late 80's.
    abonet likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I'm not saying that theft is OK. I'm saying that when a larger percentage of you business becomes litigation and not producing product, consumers will find another alternative. I think a better choice for apple would have been to take their profits and invested them into making their products better rather then feeding the parasites. meeting your competition with a better product will always trump beating them in court.
    Rooted, Clocked and ready to rock!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I'm not disagreeing, but I think you minimize the impact. Android now outsells the iPhone and Samsung is a big part of that. If Apple prevails, it supports the idea that they do have a better product and were robbed of all those sales. I agree with your argument because that is pretty much what TiVo does these days.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    They wouldn't have lost "all" sales as I wouldn't have bought one of their iPad/iPhone/iAnything .....

I still believe that most of the patents can't stand up as valid when push comes to push. This was just one of many days in court. One of the big ones that Apple won ..... It is interesting to see that many of the same patents were ruled invalid outside the USA courts....

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    I'm not disagreeing, but I think you minimize the impact. Android now outsells the iPhone and Samsung is a big part of that. If Apple prevails, it supports the idea that they do have a better product and were robbed of all those sales. I agree with your argument because that is pretty much what TiVo does these days.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads