• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Ice Cream Sandwich Update Delayed Until Fall for Toshiba Thrive and Thrive 7

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MzLynne View Post
    Before Direct deposits, and e-filing, We had to hand write our tax returns, mail them and wait for our tax refund. Yes it took forever, but we got it...

This is how I feel about ICS. I will stop checking...
    I'm laughing my butt off right now. This and the other ICS threads have become nothing but hillarious. The realization that grown adults react this way is nothing short of amusing. MzLynne, you are a bright spot in an otherwise dismal few days. I hope all those who are disappointed to the degree they say, all 30 or so of them out of 15,000+ members, sell their Thrives and move on, the sooner, the better. Maybe I can pick up a cheap 7" to use as a GPS. I am not losing any sleep over this and I expect to use my Thrive for several years, certainly longer than most of these folks will have their next couple of devices. If it's not ICS they are complaining about, it will be JB or whatever comes after that. They raised a ruckus when Fastboot was taken away, so there will always be something they won't be happy about. Some people are just never satisfied, even though they (we) have so much more than so many others.

Okay, soapbox off, I'll go back to laughing and have another beer. :beer:
    danvee, 808Bill, darkron9 and 2 others like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Too bad the forums ban selling.
    If I could pick up another TT on the REAL cheap, it'd make my year (and BOY, could I use use THAT )
    Hey, I'm disappointed. Not by the lack of the update...just the gyrations and excuses that could have easily been avoided.
    I still have to keep mine around until the 3 year warranty runs out (or it gets run over by something...)
    LAWNKILLER likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

Okay, soapbox off, I'll go back to laughing and have another beer. :beer:
    Forum rule #63 Don't drink and post....
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Well, I have been burned twice before by 2 different manufactures/vendors in not supporting their tablets with any major updates. I had hoped that with Toshiba's past support for their laptops, I would see something better from them. I never got any updates for the previous tablets for the next level of OS (Adam & Samsung/T-Mobile). Both of them made the same "promises" that Toshiba has been making for the THRiVE. I certainly didn't expect for Toshiba to support the THRiVE for years, but I at least expected a timely release of ICS (which was released to them in October 2011).

A 1-year delivery after they got the code from Google (and support from NVidia for the hardware drivers) is sounding like an empty promise to me. I cut them some slack, but they appear to be using that extra rope for a hanging. I, for one, bought the THRiVE (in addition to its excellent hardware specs) for the support that Toshiba has been known for over the decades. I now "only" see the hardware specs, no support.

When the Emperor has no clothes, I don't see fine regalia ... and right now, Toshiba is beginning to look pretty naked when it comes to their tablet support.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    So, pray tell, what are you moving to next? So I can avoid it. Sounds like maybe you're a jinx.

I actually bought the Thrive despite the fact that their reputation was already sinking. Maybe that's why a 3-month or so delay doesn't bother me. In fact, for all I care, they can cancel the port and that won't bother me either. There will always be a better product to buy, but I can't afford to buy them all. And, if you buy whichever tablet was first with ICS, that is no guarantee where they'll be with JB.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I've followed these threads for a bit, and aside from a few fruitless attempts to be funny, I've refrained from making any serious comment on this subject, until now. I am not disappointed in this news. I have experienced the full gamut of that emotional roller coaster with my phone. And my experience with going through soak tests is that there is a lot of behind the scenes testing that goes on before a ready to distribute update is completed. So, I take this delay with a grain of salt, shrug my shoulders, and go back to enjoying my tablet. I didn't buy it for ICS. I bought it because it was a killer deal, and if I had to do it over again, I would. And let's be honest, some of us will complain about the lack of a timely Jelly Bean update in a matter of hours after receiving the ICS update. Some people like to complain, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with being patient and enjoying what you have right now.

Aloha.
    pdj and moburnett like this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My prediction: You'll not see Toshiba release ICS for the 10" Thrive.

Toshiba: Why would I buy any of your tablets? Or any of your products going forward now? This is not rocket science, the vast majority of the work to do ICS on the thrive is already done for you.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 808Bill View Post
    Some people like to complain, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    There is when it consumes a site and turns people away because they don't want to be a part of that. Just look at XDA. And it's even worse when the site is infiltrated by a few individuals who make the most noise without contributing a single thing to the site. Just my nickel's worth.
    timokimm likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Can't we get our hands on the excite ROM and port it?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk
    iPrefer Android.

My Toys:

HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROOTED
    3.15.651.16 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Asus Nexus 7 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean

Toshiba THRiVE Android 4.0.4 ICS ROOTED
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times