• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Mobile hotspot + signal booster?

We have no internet at our summer place and weak cell signal at best. I just heard about cell signal amplifiers, do they work? The one I was looking at on Amazon was getting all great reviews. So, I'm due for a cell phone upgrade and if I buy one and use the mobile hotspot function and a cell signal amplifier will it increase the WiFi signal from the phone so I can go online with my Thrive?

2. Ads

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Do you right now have a data plan on you phone and what is your provider.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    I have no knowledge, but I would think an amplifier would only extend an already good signal. For example, if you got a good signal in an upstairs bedroom, but not in a downstairs living room or basement, an amplifier might extend that signal into those rooms. I think what you would really need is something with a better antenna that could pick up weaker signals and make them available to your phone/hotspot throughout the home. I do not know if these hotspot devices have better antennas than phones or if such external antennas are available.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    ... will it increase the WiFi signal from the phone...
    No. WiFi is totally different from cellular in terms of frequency. So, not a snowballs chance in hell of the amplifier boosting the WiFi signal on your phone.

As for the amp itself. If setup correctly, it should boost the signal of the cellular network to provide you with better service. Be advised you will need to know the frequency (or frequencies) your service provider operates at in order to buy the right amplifier. You will also need to make sure you get the right technology version (cdma is not the same as gsm).

Lastly, with the signal amplified, don't expect that to mean the service doesn't still suck. Voice calls will likely be just fine, and drop less often, but any data call will still experience more noticable issues. This is simply due to the data call requiring better signal, with less interference. You may have boosted the signal, but the amp still has to transmit back to the tower, which will still impact the data call. Not anywhere near as bad as originally, but it likely won't be perfect. I'd suspect high latency due to a high amount of retransmits, and thus slower speeds than usual.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    If it were me, the first place I'd check is with my provider to see if they offer anything to help pick up a weak signal. If they do, I wouldn't necessarily get it from them unless the price was right. If they don't, they might be able to advise you on what to look for and where.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Hi dave that good advice.that would be the next thing for them to try.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    129 times
    With this yagi directional antenna,

14 DB 9 Element Dual Band Directional Yagi Antenna [14dB Yagi] - $59.99

Antenna Adapter Cable for GlobeSurfer III [ADPTGS3] - $15.95

Cyfre Direct Connect Signal Amplifier CA-819 Kit [CA-819KIT] - $249.99

connected to a cellular router:

GlobeSurfer III North American Version [GS3] - $229.99

you may get what you need. This is a sim-card router (ATT or t-Mobile),
    if you have another provider you will need a different cellular router.

Talk to this store about your alternatives.

Wireless n' Wi-Fi
    Last edited by BobjGear; 02-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    - BobjGear

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmaston View Post
    Do you right now have a data plan on you phone and what is your provider.
    We are with Sprint and are on their unlimited data plan.

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    I would still call sprint and ask them.i think sprint has a mifi box you can get and I think you can run up to 5 connections off of it.you will have to ask them if the thrive will work.I have read that the verizon will work.do you have the option on your phone to tether.let me know what you find out.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    We have no internet at our summer place and weak cell signal at best. I just heard about cell signal amplifiers, do they work? The one I was looking at on Amazon was getting all great reviews. So, I'm due for a cell phone upgrade and if I buy one and use the mobile hotspot function and a cell signal amplifier will it increase the WiFi signal from the phone so I can go online with my Thrive?
    In answer to the original question, I took a look at Amazon and it seems one of those might help. BUT, they all depend on getting a good signal somewhere in or near the house. So, find out where the cell towers are, get a big ladder, put it on the side of the house facing the towers, and find a signal. If you do, then a booster/amplifier might just push it to other parts of the house enough for a mobile hotspot device from Sprint to work. You might be able to get one from them to test before committing to any contract.

I assume you know there are services like Wild Blue that offer internet services where cable doesn't, but you want to use your current data plan with tethering to avoid more cost for limited use.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

Ads