• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

can thrive connect to old microsoft mn-700 router?

Hi,
    I get the 'obtaining ip address' and eventually it comes back as disabled when trying to connect thrive to wireless router at home.
    I'm using wep encyrption and have entered the key a couple of times.

Toshiba support said if my router is more than a yr old I should buy a new one. Went by best buy and he told me to change the router to 'wga' (i think!) encryption.

I tried going to 192.168.2.1 in ie on the pc that is wired to the router but I don't know the password (had a friend set it up for me years ago).
    I'm hoping he'll tell me the password.

Thanks so much for what you do - I'm clueless!

I'm having bad luck with the refurbished 16gb unit I bought from woot. it never would get a wireless light on it when I received it. It took Toshiba 2 weeks to send me the $25 box to send it in for repair. Got it back and now the ac adaptor cord doesn't work - it ran out of charge pretty quickly - I asked if they could overnight me an ac adaptor but no, now waiting for another mailer box to send it back again. I feel like I made a big mistake buying a refurbished one. thanks for letting me rant!

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    hi newbie,To answer your question, yes, Your Thrive can connect to the mn-700. We can get you connected - no problem.

If you give me a few min I'll look up your settings.

Meanwhile, you can answer a few questions for me please - do you have at least one PC (or device) connected by WIFI now to the MN700, so we know it is working?

Do you know your wifi password?

Do you know your Admin password for the router? ( is this the p/w your don't know, that your friend set up)?

bob
    Last edited by bobj; 01-19-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Smile

wow - BobJ you are awesome and fast!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Bobj,

Yes I have 2 laptops and 2 android phones that are connected wirelessly to the router. I refreshed a browser on a laptop to make sure the connection to the internet was good, then tried to connect again the thrive to wifi.

I know my wifi password if that is the wep key. It's the thing that we have to enter to connect a new device to our wifi.

I don't know my router password when I go to 198.162.1 on the pc that's connected by wire to router. It doesn't prompt me for a login - just a password. This is the one that I emailed my friend to see if he remembers it.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    We can prob get you connected without needing the admin password - you should get it for future needs anyway.

Hold the Thrive in portrait mode so the keyboard does not hide the settings
    Go to Settings >> Wireless and Networks >> Wi-Fi settings >> tap your network name, Tap FORGET
    Now when your network name shows up again under wifi settings ....

Select security type
    Enter password, it is case sensitive.

tap the triangle where it says DHCP, select "static"

Enter 192.168.2.38

the "connect" is greyed out .... right?

Enter gateway 192.168.2.1

RE-ENTER prefix 24 (all the greyed out fields must be re-entered, even if the info is the same)

Enter DNS2 192.168.2.1

Enter DNS2 192.168.2.1

You have no more greyed out fields correct?, and CONNECT brightened up again? Correct?

tap CONNECT you should be connected to the network in-house, (but not be necessarily be able to access the internet).

Only if you are not yet accessing the internet, , power down (UNPLUG) your modem for 20 seconds, and plug it in again, let it re-boot. (do not reset it.)

Everything working now?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks so much Bobj,
    I'm sending the thrive back to toshiba for repair again today so I won't be able to try this til next week. I'll let you know then. I really appreciate your expertise!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Bobj - your instructions worked beautifully!
    The friend doesn't remember my password for my router, so when I do a reset and give it a new password, will all pcs, etc. need to reattach to the network or will they seamlessly connect?

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Thanks Bobj - your instructions worked beautifully!
    The friend doesn't remember my password for my router, so when I do a reset and give it a new password, will all pcs, etc. need to reattach to the network or will they seamlessly connect?
    Before you reset it, try "admin" for the password.

You should only reset it from a PC wired to the MN-700.

What you have to re-set depends on what changes your friend made when he set it up.
    Here is your router's manual, click on the link to download it onto your PC: http://db.tt/wpOBmSeF

It will guide you through the setup process - or the reset process
    Most likely the only things you will need to (re)set are the network name, security type, and your wifi password.
    If you re-enter these three things as they are now, all your pc's, etc should seamlessly connect.

Then you will want to set your new Admin Password.
    Last edited by bobj; 02-02-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Ads