• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times

Lightbulb Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Updated May 20, 2012

The Guide below was developed by bench testing various USB-RJ45 adapters on Android Version 3.2.1 on a Thrive 10.1 AT105.
    The results below are not valid for earlier versions of Android, because Android 3.1 and earlier versions do not contain the required drivers. There are no differences in an unrooted 3.2 vs Dalepl's 3.2 ROMS that would make a difference in these adapters' performance.

Thanks to Forum Members jccampbe, ttmoo, dalepl for discovering and testing this feature............. You can now EASILY connect your Thrive by Ethernet wire to your Router, in three simple steps:

1. Turn off Wi-Fi on the Thrive. Settings >> Wi-Fi >> Un-check Wi-Fi.
    2. Plug the Router-attached Ethernet cable into a USB-to-RJ45 adapter.
    3. Plug the adapter into your full sized USB port. Or alternatively, leave the the adapter plugged into your Docking Station's USB.
    4. With some of these adapters you may need to plug them in only after everything has settled down after login. Ergo: if you turn off the Thrive and back on with the RJ45 cable still connected, some might not work.

THESE ADAPTERS WORK WITH YOUR THRiVE:
    (updated May 20, 2012)

USBRJ45 Works 20120520.jpg
    4note copy.jpg
    2USBworks.jpg

THE FOLLOWING ADAPTERS DO NOT WORK WITH YOUR THRIVE:

4USBdontwork.jpg

Last edited by bobj; 05-20-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    sgthwjack, Carib, ttmoo and 8 others like this.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Beautiful presentation. Beautiful hard work. Thanks.
    Now the big question - what on earth are you going to do with 25 adapters?!

Edit:
    Could we add point 4, something like this: It's important to plug in the Ethernet cable into the already running Thrive, after everything has settled down after login. Ergo: if you turn off the Thrive and back on with the RJ45 cable still connected, it will not work.
    Last edited by ttmoo; 01-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    bobj likes this.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    Beautiful presentation. Beautiful hard work. Thanks.
    Now the big question - what on earth are you going to do with 25 adapters?!
    Send back 24 of them?

Edit:
    Could we add point 4, something like this: It's important to plug in the Ethernet cable into the already running Thrive, after everything has settled down after login. Ergo: if you turn off the Thrive and back on with the RJ45 cable still connected, it will not work.
    Very good idea - will do, Thanks.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Great work BobJ. It is nice to see someone put so much effort into providing the info everyone would like.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    Great work BobJ. It is nice to see someone put so much effort into providing the info everyone would like.
    Thanks, Dalepl,

I still need to devise how to do some valid LAN speed tests. The Gigabit adapters have LED's showing if they negotiated a 10, or 100, or 1000 speed hand-shake with Thrive. Surprise! the LED's are showing the Thrive agrees to a 1000 (1GB) connection! But the reality is, I don't visually see any faster speed than I get on a 74 mbps wifi connection. (ie streaming, or from one LAN device to another).

My internal LAN is set up to be blistering fast, Server to Device, much faster than a consumer (GB) router. So I know the bottleneck is either the USB-RJ45 adapter or the Thrive. I think it is the Thrive- - I think it is basically designed as a 70 to 100 mbps device. But more testing to come, on the adapters. I think I can compile some alternative ASIX drivers and get them working. If not I'll come crying to you that I bricked my Thrive

I also received a 2GB (simultaneous quad band) wi-fi card Friday, which I am going to swap into my Laptop in the next few weeks. The Thrive will get the Intel 6300 wifi card out of my laptop, just to see what happens. I will probably burn up the Thrive's motherboard on that experiment. I need to put three more Thrive's on the shelf before they stop making them. It will be a sad day if this Tablet form factor disappears in favor of "skinnier is better". Owning a Thrive will be like owning a '56 'vette someday.
    tamed likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Yea its kewl the thrive will connect on the 1000Mbs pipe.As you said bottlenecking is the key here as with any lan unit. I remember reading that the SSHD the thrive uses is throttled somewhere between 25-30 Mbs. That in conjunction with the bus and IO constraints will be the deciding factor in total bandwidth speed as is the case with any other network device.
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrman View Post
    Yea its kewl the thrive will connect on the 1000Mbs pipe.As you said bottlenecking is the key here as with any lan unit. I remember reading that the SSHD the thrive uses is throttled somewhere between 25-30 Mbs. That in conjunction with the bus and IO constraints will be the deciding factor in total bandwidth speed as is the case with any other network device.
    Awwww! Time to get out the screwdriver, I think that is a standard mini-PCI-e connector? The only question -- is there enough room to stuff another brand's daughter-card in there? 25-30 Mbps is awful!!!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    FYI: I just tried a Saerent USB-G1000 on my Thrive 32GB. Following the 4 steps, it works. I've also got the TrendNet TU2-ETG working.

I have found that BOTH adapters are getting some pauses now and then. They can be short or long. Is this normal?

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smlunatick View Post
    FYI: I just tried a Saerent USB-G1000 on my Thrive 32GB. Following the 4 steps, it works. I've also got the TrendNet TU2-ETG working.

I have found that BOTH adapters are getting some pauses now and then. They can be short or long. Is this normal?
    Yes I was getting some pauses also - but i did not have the time or methodology to go further and try and measure the actual speeds. Even though those adapters are acknowledging they are connecting at gigabit speed, you are obvously not
    Last edited by bobj; 01-18-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm just looking for a method of being able t o access and change settings of an entertainment wireless network bridge. It has to be do from one of the four Ethernet ports and it is a "tight" squeeze in the home entertainment cabinet.
    bobj likes this.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads