• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the quick answer.

The DHCP setup/config is great for most situations when on travel, to connect to new networks etc. I will also use that in most cases.

However, when Iím at home and want to login to my private home router, I need a private IP-address i.e. 10.10.xxx (static IP). I have several PCs and other IP-devices in my network and donít run with DHCP at home.

Also the router does not allow a Wifi connection to login (security reason), I need a cable. This for sure is of no importance, because I used a regular PC or a notebook for years to login to the router, no problem. I was just wondering if I could give up on that in the future and use the Thrive for that (which would require the configuration of IP-adresses).

Have a nice day
    Robu

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robu View Post
    Thanks for the quick answer.

The DHCP setup/config is great for most situations when on travel, to connect to new networks etc. I will also use that in most cases.

However, when I’m at home and want to login to my private home router, I need a private IP-address i.e. 10.10.xxx (static IP). I have several PCs and other IP-devices in my network and don’t run with DHCP at home.

Also the router does not allow a Wifi connection to login (security reason), I need a cable. This for sure is of no importance, because I used a regular PC or a notebook for years to login to the router, no problem. I was just wondering if I could give up on that in the future and use the Thrive for that (which would require the configuration of IP-adresses).

Have a nice day
    Robu
    Just configure your static IP for your thrive at the router. the router needs the Device's MAC address, and you assign that to a static IP.
    On the thrive end, you leave it on DHCP, but it will always get the same static IP assigned to the usb-rj45 adapter by the router.
    I did not see any way to configure a hardwired static IP within the thrive.

And if you are concerned about security go one step further and enable MAC address filtering.
    Last edited by bobj; 02-02-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Setting a static IP is a must for me. I plan on using mine in the field for copier repairs and having the USB to Ethernet directly to the copier means no DHCP for me. And since most networks have different IPs I would need to set the Thrive static.

tz1
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    It doesn't work for me. If I have airplane mode on I can then check wifi but it will connect via wifi. I see the activity LED come on but it isn't DHCPing.
    Is your iPad battery low? Here, just plug it into my Thrive...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Received adaptor in link above today its not working. Not sure what's up? Will not give up hope till I try it while out of town. Port # on router lights up and red light was blinking on adaptor but no connection. I really don't want to screw with anything as everything else works well.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
    It doesn't work for me. If I have airplane mode on I can then check wifi but it will connect via wifi. I see the activity LED come on but it isn't DHCPing.
    hi tz1

Is the model number on what you received (from ebay) the same model number on my Guide SY-ADA24005 (and as advertised on ebay?) For @zrx1200 ebay was advertising the correct adapter SY-ADA24005, but they sent him model SY-ADA24001, which does NOT work with the thrive. A good reason to buy from Amazon.

bobj
    Last edited by bobj; 02-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just now tried with both unchecked no go. Not a huge deal pretty inexpensive. Maybe a newer version? Still plan to try on a hotel Ethernet cable. Who knows? I'll check that app.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobj View Post
    hi tz1

Have you tried it with airplane mode not checked, and wifi not checked? Also i have a blue light on that adaptor, not a red one. what color is yours?

I just made a video of it working and will upload it. Also have you tried the app WIFI STATIC? I have it.

Also are you rooted, I am. I assume you don't have to be rooted for these adapters to work.

bobj

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx1200 View Post
    Just now tried with both unchecked no go. Not a huge deal pretty inexpensive. Maybe a newer version? Still plan to try on a hotel Ethernet cable. Who knows? I'll check that app.
    Sent you a PM, pls check your mail.

Also - are you rooted?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    pm replied

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx1200 View Post
    pm replied
    Thanks. For others benefit, the ebay vendor was advertising the same item as in my guide - which does work with the thrive (SY-ADA24005), but delivering a different one (SY-ADA24001), which does not work with the thrive.

I suggest forum members get these adapters from Amazon or another reputable supply where you can return them if they do not deliver what they advertise.

Regards,
    bobj

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads