• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Only trick with that is, if the manufacturer changes the chipset to an equivalent one in future production, subsequent ones won't work.
    We've had that happen quite a few times where a product was reported to work, then a month later the same model # wouldn't work, as the manufacturer changed sources.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Re: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Quote Originally Posted by ajsbonneville View Post
    Just for info the D-link dub-e100 has worked consistently on all of the roms including Pio's great black bean. Very handy when in various hotels.

Cheers
    Yeah I picked up a cheapy one for 5 bucks, just in case, turns out it works for my thrive and my n7, its a trend net tu2-etg, gigabit even.

Sent from my Thrive - U6 Linaro
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Nexus 7 on a LAN is awesome. Now how do I use it as a wireless router

Hi,

I am off abroad and the Hotel only has free LAN so I bought the adapter and an OTG cable so I am good to go with the Nexus 7 on the LAN.

I would like to save on Roaming charges and connect my iPhone to the Nexus 7 whilst in the room so I can use the networked apps.

I am trying to use FoxFi but I am not quite there yet - maybe I need PDANet aswell.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or for alternatives? Most requests are for the other way around!!

My iPhone is JB'ed but the Nexus is not rooted.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    True, it's common to tether a tablet to a smartphone, but I've never heard of the reverse. I would think that FoxFi wouldn't care which device order you're using. When you say you're "not quite there yet," what exactly do you mean?
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response.

I have installed FoxFi and can start up the WiFi server which can be seen by my PC and my iPhone.

However the PC connects as a Public network and so doesn't give me internet access.

The iPhone sits there with the spinning dial.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    You might also find our sister site http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/forum.php

of some help...
    ~Dan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    You might also find our sister site Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 Forum

of some help...
    I have registered and started a thread called "Nexus 7 as Wifi Router"

Thanks for the suggestion, though I came here first as the site is for Thrive, which is what the adapter is designed for.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Actually it was designed for the Thrive initially, but works perfectly on pretty much any tab I've tried. Only difference is that some require an OTG cable (like the N7) and others like the Thrive do not.
    The real key is the chipset and how Android has the support already 'baked in'.

Should be able to get some good info over on the N7/N10 site. :thumbup:
    ~Dan

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I realise this thread hasn't had any replies for over 18 months, but I thought this might interest users.

I have been able to set a static IP address on my AT100 using a terminal emulator (Terminal IDE). My tablet is running Dalepl's Rooted ICS 4.0.4 ROM and the USB to Ethernet adapter is a generic (no brand name) with the ASIX AX88772A chipset.

I let the tablet boot and log in, then disabled WiFi and connected the adapter. Running Terminal IDE and typing ifconfig showed that the device had been detected as eth0. I decided to try setting a static IP (must be root for this) using the following command:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0 up

I was able to ping my PC and connect to the Internet both using a dynamic IP and the static IP.

Hope that's useful to someone.
    panda likes this.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Remove Ads

Ads