• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fcs001fcs View Post
    Thanks for the offer to provide a 10/100 Adapter but I bought the Gigabit Adapter so I can use it for other PCs or Laptops if needed along with use for the Thrive. I think I will wait until ICS is out to see if this solves the Thrive compatibility with this type Chipset (AX88178).
    The problem is not the AX88178 chip.
    There are gigabit adapters using the AX88178 chip that work on Thrive 3.2 and above Today.
    It is not really a "set" of AX88178 chips, in that adapter.

Manufacturers mix and match different chips with the AX88178, without regard to whether the end product will work with Android.
    If it works with Windows, then they make it. That is why my TU2-ETG works and yours does not. Both have the AX88178 chip.

This is an oversimplification, but the adapter has to be made with all "android compatible" chips.
    - BobjGear

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Last edited by nirzala73; 07-18-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: wfghyg

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Hey BobjGear, I just bought one of your adapters on Amazon, hope to get it soon. I saw a few reviews on Amazon, one in particular, that the adapter works with an OTG cable on their Android phone. I see in your selling description that you say it does NOT work with Android phones. I assume that if the phone has built-in drivers that it would indeed work with it? I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. One reviewer said the adapter worked with their Nexus, but just curious as to whether you know it will or not.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Ugh... USPS lost the shipment. Showed delivered on the tracking but never received. I doubt someone stole the adapter from my mailbox... Luckily Amazon refunded me and I just placed an order for another one.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times

Re: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

Is anyone on cm 10 using one of these adapters? I want to get one but would like conformation it works.

life is better with root and all the awesome thrive devs.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7143 View Post
    Hey BobjGear, I just bought one of your adapters on Amazon, hope to get it soon. I saw a few reviews on Amazon, one in particular, that the adapter works with an OTG cable on their Android phone. I see in your selling description that you say it does NOT work with Android phones. I assume that if the phone has built-in drivers that it would indeed work with it? I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. One reviewer said the adapter worked with their Nexus, but just curious as to whether you know it will or not.
    Sorry about not getting your adapter the first time around, but I can confirn that the bobj adapter DOES work with the Google Galaxy Nexus (it's rooted but don't know if it's needed since I didn't have to run an app like stickmount). I connected the OTG adapter to the ethernet adapter and attached the CAT5. Turned off wifi on the phone (turned off mobile data, too) and connected the OTG adapter to the phone. I never turned off the phone. It works great! Even more for the $$$. I'm considering buying a Nexus 7 after the new roll-outs and am hopeful the set-up will work with it, also.
    the ORIGINAL thrive running dalepl ICS
    Google Galaxy Nexus rooted stock--oops, cracked screen but running 4.2.2
    Google Nexus 7 rooted, stock 4.2.2
    Google Nexus 4 rooted, stock 4.2.2

uva
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a Nexus 7 tablet with Android 4.2.1. I wish to have an internet connection on my android via Ethernet. I looked on your list of working adapters and chose the 12th adapter "PI Manufacturing - Gigabit" since you indicated "seems a little faster than other adapters". You purchased the adapter on Amazon, but I decided to purchase this adapter directly from PI manufacturing website. When I followed your instructions and connected the Ethernet adapter to my tablet, the two blue lights on the Ethernet adapter turned on. However, I do not have an Internet connection on my tablet. My Wifi is off and when I click on "Advanced" settings in Wifi, I see a MAC address but not an IP address. What suggestions could you provide me? Should I try rooting my Nexus 7, should I try installing Ethernet drivers on my tablet or should I try purchasing a different Ethernet adapter? Thanks.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: Guide to USB-to-RJ45 Adapters - Thrive Networking by Ethernet Cable - 2/12/2012

About the only thing that I can say for sure is that my BobjGear USB/Ethernet adapter works perfectly on both my Thrive and N7 running 4.2.1
    http://www.amazon.com/BobjGear-Ether...generic&sr=1-7
    Rooting is not necessary, and the drivers (for the proper chipset) are already cooked into Android.
    The problem is that there's really just one chipset that's supported, and, other than the BobjGear adapter, no company will guarantee that their item has the one that you need.
    Unlike Windows, where you can install a driver for unrecognized hardware, Android doesn't over that option per se.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Further support can be added into kernels, but you'll need to contact one of the many kernel devs for the n7 to see what they think about it.

Also, turn on airplane mode. Sometimes just shutting off WiFi doesn't trigger the switch for some reason. I've never tried Ethernet on my n7 so I'm not real familiar with it. Guess I need to make an otg cable.

Sent from my Thrive - U6 Linaro
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Just for info the D-link dub-e100 has worked consistently on all of the roms including Pio's great black bean. Very handy when in various hotels.

Cheers

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads