• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why does Wi-Fi Drop? Does Thrive have a Wi-Fi problem?

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times

Question Why does Wi-Fi Drop? Does Thrive have a Wi-Fi problem?

Top Causes of Dropping Wireless Connections on Your THRiVE:

(Caution – a LONG post for geeks, and folks that can not get to sleep – this will do it.)

---Opinions in this post are solely those of member @bobj, based only on helping many people, and do not represent position of the Forum, Toshiba, or some Router Manufacturers.

Credit to Linksys KB Article ID: 22110, Information below has been made generic in order to apply to all router Brands, and has been supplemented to focus on THRiVE Wi-Fi Networking, by bobj. ….-01/17/2012[/h]

There have been a number of forum members asking in posts and PMs if Toshiba is working on the Generic Wi-Fi Problem, and has it been solved yet? I am of the opinion there is no Toshiba Wi-Fi Problem With the THRiVE, for these reasons: The vast majority of Thrivers connect just fine, and every day, I help connect folks having problems with their wireless networks, with Thrives, and many other devices. Except for the occasional “You got a Lemon – return it for another” response that I hate to give, the problems are usually Router based. Thrive by design, as are all Tablets, are a little different than PC's in that they are to a greater extent designed to conserve power. Also, all the technology is in one “case” stuffed in together with the wi-fi's antennas. Laptops have all the hardware below the keyboard, out of the way of interfering with (blocking) the signal from the wifi antennas which are behind the Laptop's screen. In addition, most of the tablets on the market all use the exact same wifi hardware technology and driver as the Thrive – a low power Broadcomm4329 wifi chip. So, if there was a Generic Android Tablet wifi problem, there would be a sea of complaints, like when the iPhone's signal failed because owners “held it wrong”.

While I think there is no Generic Issue, I think Tablets are more sensitive to a router's wifi settings than Laptops.
    While most THRiVE owners have no problems with their Wi-Fi Connection, here are nine key reasons why the wireless connection between your Router

1. Remember Y2K? It's baaack ….....in your Router!

Remember how computer storage was expensive, so programmers just captured the last two digits of “year”. And then when we realized year 2000 was approaching, we knew computers were going to choke? Well, in your Old Router, is not “year”, but it is MAC Address that router programmers decided to “clip” to save storage space. Example: MAC 00:247:12:34:56. The first two digits have always been “00”, so when assigning IP addressess, Firmware developers dropped the “00”. TheDynamic Host Configuration Protocol(DHCP) is a network configuration protocol for devices on Internet Protocol(IP) networks. Your computers that are connected to IP networks must be configured before they can communicate on your wifi network. The most essential information needed is an IP address, and a default route and routing prefix. DHCP eliminates the manual task by a network administrator. It also creates a central database of devices' MAC addresses, plus their assigned IP, that are connected to the network, and keeps these IN ROUTER MEMORY/STORAGE. The Older Router assumes 00 and adds it back.

If you look at All your wifi MAC's, your Laptops probably all start with “00”. Your Tablet (THRiVE, ASUS, Acer, XOOM) probably starts with “E0”. Your smartphone's wifi also probably does not start with 00.
    CHOKE!!! Y2K deja vu!!
    Some router manufacturers have issued Firmware Updates, adding space in memory for the first two digits. Other older routers - Time to get a new router.

2. Low Signal Quality Received from your Wireless Router
    The location where your wireless router and Thrive are placed affects the performance of your wireless network. To boost the wireless signal, it is ideal to place the wireless router either in the central part of your house or in a location free from any obstructions that may block its range.
    NOTE: To determine the signal quality received from your wireless router, you must connect to the wireless network first, using a wifi app like WiFi Analyzer, on your Thrive.
    Once connected, check the signal strength received by your wireless adapter.

3. Adjusting the MTU Size, Preamble, Beacon Interval
    Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) specifies the largest packet size permitted for Internet transmission. Determining the proper MTU size is important so you'd get the most efficient throughput for the network. If you have adjusted this setting, you could have degraded your wifi's performance. Also changing Preamble, and Beacon Interval can improve or impair your Thrive's performance.

4. Frequency Interference from Other Wireless Devices
    The frequency used by your router’s wireless network can be set to 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or Mixed. Interference happens if there is conflict with some wireless devices that are also using the same frequency within your network. The most common examples are cordless phones, microwave ovens, and baby monitors. To determine if this is the cause, power OFF the device that is possibly causing the interference. Another wireless network which operates in the same frequency as yours may also be a factor for wireless interferences. Typically these devices operate on the 2.4 GHz band. If you have conflict with one of these devices, it is advisable to replace the device with one that operates in the 5GHz band. Another solution is to change the current wireless network channel which is set in your router’s settings. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are considered to be non overlapping channels. If your router's Channel selection is set to “Automatic”,

5. Router’s Firmware Needs Upgrade
    If you are still having a problem with dropping wireless connection and you have confirmed that the previous causes are irrelevant, then you may have to upgrade your Router’s firmware. There are wide discrepancies in the quality of various firmwares released by router manufacturers. There are always issues in router forums concerning DPHC logic going awry, USB shares not accessible. All router manufacturers have their “good releases” and “bad releases”. All major routers are good devices in general. But like us, the manufacturers have their “bad days”, too. Also see “Y2K is baaack ...” below, another reason to upgrade your firmware, or get a newer router.

6. Physical Obstruction
    It would be best if the router is within the line of sight of the computer. This will ensure a stable wireless connection between the devices. The lesser the walls between the computer and the router are, the stronger and more stable the connection would be.

7. Mismatched Router and Adapter Settings
    For best results, Wireless-N routers should be paired with Wireless-N adapters and Wireless-G routers should be paired with Wireless-G adapters. Should there be a mix of Wireless-G and Wireless-N adapters connecting to the network, it would be best to set the router mode to Mixed. This will allow Wireless-G devices to have a stable connection to the network and will force the Wireless-N device to to still connect to the network as it is backward compatible, although throughput would be based on the Wireless-G connection.
    QUICK TIP: For Wireless-N Dual Band-Routers, it is best to use 20 MHz when in a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz populated area to avoid wireless interference. For less crowded networks, you can use 40 MHz on a 5 GHz to your advantage. If you're unsure, you may leave channel width at Auto. This will automatically adjust the settings to 20 or 40 MHz, depending on which best fits your network.

8. Thrive's Adapter’s Driver Needs to be Upgraded
    Some users have found the switch to the new Wireless-N routers to be cumbersome, reporting a significant lowered connectivity compared to using previous Wireless-B or Wireless-G routers. The reason this happens is because the Wireless-N is a different technology altogether compared to older wireless technologies and the computer you are using may have an adapter that is not optimized to work with Wireless-N devices.
    To ensure optimum wireless performance, make sure that the driver of your Thrive's wireless adapter is up to date. The Thrive is a Wireless-N Tablet. There has been one update to the drivers, that early Thrive owners received through the service station. Newer Thrives probably come with this update incorporated. If you need to apply an Update it will be in the service station as an app to install. After installing it you run it once. It appears not to have done anything, but it has updated the wifi drivers. The app can then be uninstalled.

9. You got a Lemon – Return it for another.
    There are always a few of any brand that don't work and need to be exchanged.
    I would worry more about remanufactured ones than new ones falling into this category.

Hope this helps. Any errors? Please let me know.
    Regards,
    bobj
    Last edited by bobj; 01-07-2012 at 07:11 PM.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Good Article

And i didn't doze off once. :-)
    jorge505 likes this.
    John

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Excellent Post! Now I'm off to watch NY Giants whup some Falcon butt all the way back to Atlanta! Go G-Men
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    my thrive has better connectivity than both of my laptops!
    jorge505 likes this.

rae
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

my wifi drop more specific

With my thrive, I do not have issues with my general wifi connection, rather mine specifically drops the connection within the gmail app and the android market app that is associated with my gmail account. I can surf the web and show all bars lit for a wifi connection, but my gmail app will give me a no connection error (as will my android market). This happens two or three times a day and makes me crazy. I can be locked out for 20 minutes to 2 hours and then my wifi will come back and everything is good again. Sometimes I can turn the device off and then turn it back on and get my connection back on gmail. Additionally, I've not been able to upload files to google docs or youtube from my device. These site say uploading, but then the upload bar never progresses past 0%.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    @rae,
    Could you post your router model and firmware version, whether you know how to get into administration of the router and what is its IP? It'll help people help you.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rae View Post
    With my thrive, I do not have issues with my general wifi connection, rather mine specifically drops the connection within the gmail app and the android market app that is associated with my gmail account. I can surf the web and show all bars lit for a wifi connection, but my gmail app will give me a no connection error (as will my android market). This happens two or three times a day and makes me crazy. I can be locked out for 20 minutes to 2 hours and then my wifi will come back and everything is good again. Sometimes I can turn the device off and then turn it back on and get my connection back on gmail. Additionally, I've not been able to upload files to google docs or youtube from my device. These site say uploading, but then the upload bar never progresses past 0%.

Do you have any suggestions for me?
    Others have had a similar problem and solved it by updating the Android Market app
    Click on this Link: #8

rae
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    @rae,
    Could you post your router model and firmware version, whether you know how to get into administration of the router and what is its IP? It'll help people help you.
    i have a d-link router (dir-655) and a Motorola wifi modem (2210-02-1022)
    my IP is 192.168.1.254
    firmware version 1.02

rae
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    also, i am the administrator ( not that I know what i am doing)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rae View Post
    i have a d-link router (dir-655) and a Motorola wifi modem (2210-02-1022)
    my IP is 192.168.1.254
    firmware version 1.02
    Hi rae,

Can you also verify the hardware version of your DIR-655, it is also on the label on the bottom of the router.

And can you also re-check the firmware version again? We want to know the firmware running in the router,
    not the one it shipped with, OK? "1.02" does not sound right.

Also re your IP of 192.168.1.254, - what is that the IP of? I am asking because this is an unusual number for this router,
    did you make configuration changes to the router, regarding the DHCP ranges, or router's gateway address?

Thanks, bob
    Last edited by bobj; 01-24-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads