• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By bobj
  • 1 Post By Blamma

Thread: ATT/2wire Wi-Fi -- Cascading Two Routers

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times

ATT/2wire Wi-Fi -- Cascading Two Routers

Sometimes, we just can not get a proprietary Router or combination Router/Modem, like an AT&T/2wire router or Router/Modem to connect it's wifi with Thrive, ps2, xbox, wireless security cameras, etc. ... no matter how many router settings we change. In this case, another solution is available for your Thrive. If you do not have a second modem, I recommend a Belkin N150, or N300, or N600, or N750. It is easy to configure. This is a generic solution, however that can be applied to any brand "A" or brand "B" router.

AT&T/2wire routers and Router/Modems include AT&T Uverse, 2wire3800HGV-B, 2wire2701HG-B

CASCADING is a term used in connecting a router to another router. In this post, the steps on how to cascade different routers will be explained. NOTE: Before you connect a 2wire router/modem to another router, make sure that both have different IP addresses. This is required because both routers may be set to the same IP address out of the box. If both routers have the same IP address, you need to change the IP address of the second router to prevent conflict..

In this post, the 2wire router or Router/Modem will be referred to as router A. Router A will also serve as the main router. The third-party (Belkin?) router will be called router B.

There are two (2) ways to cascade a 2wire router/modem (router A) to another router:

1. LAN to LAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the 2wire router (router A) to one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of another router (router B).

This connection puts the computers connected to both routers on the same Wi-Fi Network. This will allow sharing of resources within the network.

2. LAN to WAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of router A to the Internet port (WAN port) of router B.

This connection isolates the computers on one router from the computers on the other router Thus, computers that are connected to router A will not be able to communicate with router B, and vice versa since they are two different Wi-Fi networks.

METHOD #1 LAN TO LAN = ONE NETWORK:
    Cascading the
    2wire router/modem router to another router (LAN-LAN)

Cascading the routers via LAN to LAN will require further configuration of router A and B. You will need to do the following on router A and B:

• Change the IP address OF ROUTER A TO 192.168.1.1.
    • Change the IP address OF ROUTER B TO 192.168.1.2. It is important to change the last number as it will be used to identify router B for future use.

• Ensure that the DHCP server functionality is ENABLED on router A, from 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254
    • Ensure that the NAT is ENABLED on router A.
    • Ensure that the Wi-Fi Radios are turned off on Router A. Use router A for wired (eth0) PCs
    • Ensure that the DHCP server functionality is DISABLED on router B.
    • Ensure that the NAT is DISABLED on router B.
    • Ensure that the Wi-Fi is ON, in Router B, and security is configured, preferably WPA2-PSK(AES).

NOTE: Refer to each router’s User Manual(User Guide) for detailed instructions.

Once configured, connect a standard Ethernet cable to one of the numbered ethernet PC ports on router A. Then, connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to any numbered PC port on router B.

You should now be able to access the Internet with both routers, bus

METHOD #2 LAN TO WAN = TWO NETWORKS
    NOTE: Before configuring router A or B, ensure that they are not connected to each other using an Ethernet cable.

Cascading the
    2wire router/mode (Router A) to another SECOND router B (LAN-WAN)

With router A acting as the main router, you will need to change its Local IP address.

Configuring router A ...

Connect an Ethernet cable from your computer to any of the numbered ports at the back of router A.

NOTE: The image may vary depending on the computer and router you’re using.
    Step 2:
    Plug in the supplied power adapter to an electrical outlet and into router A.

Configuring the router with LAN-to-Internet Port (WAN) connection

Step 1:
    Access the 2wire router/modem router’s web-based setup page.

Step 2: ON the Left side "Private Network" Change from 192.168.0.1 to 10.0.0.0

NOTE AT&T UVERSE PAGE WILL LOOK SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT

Cascade1.JPG
    Step 3: Enable the Wi-Fi on both routers. Set router A to channel 1 or channel 6, set router B to channel 11. Enable DHCP on router A from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.50,
    enable DHCP on router B from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.254
    Click Save Settings.

Step 4:
    Connect a standard Ethernet cable to one of the numbered ports on router A where the broadband modem is connected. Then, connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the Internet port of router B.

NOTE: To access the web-based setup page of router A, you will need to use the new IP address it has been set to, which is 10.0.0.0.

You should now have two Wi-Fi networks and be able to access the Internet with both routers. But the computers on WiFi-A are isolated from the computers on WiFi-B
    Last edited by bobj; 12-30-2011 at 08:10 AM.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Great tutorial. I am currently running this setup. Just a note though, I was getting conflicts and constant disconnections with my 2wire when using 192.168.1.* with my routers. I had to go to 192.168.2.1 for the cascaded router to work with my ATT 2wire. May not be a problem for all but it was for me. Thats why they set it at 10.0.0.0, which is a arbitrary number. You will also appreciate the range of the router as the 2wire signal is very whimpy. I also recommend when you get a router, find one with changable antennas as some high gain antennae will do wonders for your connections and range.
    bobj likes this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Great.
    I,ve been using two router second setup for couple years now. Linksys and Netgear. Computers hooked to A cannot access those on B, but those on B can see A's client. An edge of security in place here :-)

Bobj, thanks for the channel tip in second setup, point 3. I did it today. Wonderful. Also wonderful is that wifi signal utility. I always dreamed of one like that for windows.

THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by ttmoo; 12-30-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Bob, is the method you describe the same thing as creating an Ethernet bridge? Been reading about that some. I am fairly ccomputer saavy but just barely starting to tinker with networking.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    I see a minor bug in the WiFi Analyzer which is very handy for this sort of configurations.
    https://market.android.com/details?i...analyzer&hl=en
    If you change a channel of one of the routers, one graph, the upside-down parabolas display, from the leftmost button is not updated.
    Other displays are updated correctly.
    Great utility to have
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I've used a 2Wire "modem / router" with a Thrive. It was not with ATT. The 2Wire was configured to enabled the 'bridging mode" when a software PPPoE connection is detected from a LAN port.
    Thrive 10.1 32GB - Stock Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS).4.0.4 - SDXC 64GB

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have this router,WOOT! Where's the thanx button?

Ads