• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wi-Fi / WPA2 Connection Issue

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wi-Fi / WPA2 Connection Issue

Very disappointing. Bought as a Christmas present for my wife and spent over 6 hours trying
    different router configurations and googling for a solution to get the wi-fi to connect,
    what a waste of time on Christmas day! For more than 2 weeks I researched and compared all
    of the 10" tablets before deciding to purchase the Thrive, it was my first choice.
    One would think a 'cutting edge' 'top of the line product' such as the Thrive made by Toshiba
    would have no problem connecting to wi-fi 'out of the box'. I refuse to LOWER my network
    security for the Thrive to 'STAY' connected to my network! If I remove my network security
    the Thrive connects to my wi-fi immediately. I have tried several network security
    configurations and NOTHING WORKS except OPEN, this is totally unacceptable. I have 2 android
    HTC Evo phones that connect to my network just fine.

Please help me with a solution or point me to a thread on this forum that will fix my problem, thanks.

I really do not want to return the Thrive for a refund.

Security settings
    ------------------
    Wireless: 2.4GHz
    Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal
    WPA Encryption: AES
    MAC Address: 20:CF:30:B8:0BA

Router
    -------
    Make: ASUS
    Model: RT-N56U
    Serial: B21AK300xxxx
    MAC Address: 20:CF:30:B8:0BA
    Firmware Version: 1.0.1.7f
    Firmware Date: 2011.11.21
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download RT-N56U (Windows 7 64bit)

Thrive
    -------
    AT105-T1032
    P/N: PDA01U-OO501F
    S/N: 6B241915R

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    MAC Address: 20 CF 30 B8 0B DA

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    My Thrive connected fine straight out of the box. It did so to, so far, about 4 different routers all using WPA2 key.
    Perhaps you've got MAC filtering on and forgot to add Thrive's MAC address?
    Or maybe you're mistyped the WPA2 key?
    Or maybe, just maybe, your router doesn't like Thrive's IPv6 (though my old routers accept Thrive's traffic just fine).

Something not correct in the data you posted. The router and the Thrive can't possibly have the same MAC address.

EDIT: According to
    https://db.uga.edu/network/public/ve...0vendor%20info
    the MAC address you posted is just your router's
    20CF30 ASUSTek COMPUTER INC. IEEE Registration Authority
    Last edited by ttmoo; 12-26-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    My Thrive connected fine straight out of the box. It did so to, so far, about 4 different routers all using WPA2 key.
    Perhaps you've got MAC filtering on and forgot to add Thrive's MAC address?
    Or maybe you're mistyped the WPA2 key?
    Or maybe, just maybe, your router doesn't like Thrive's IPv6 (though my old routers accept Thrive's traffic just fine).

Something not correct in the data you posted. The router and the Thrive can't possibly have the same MAC address.

EDIT: According to
    https://db.uga.edu/network/public/ve...up vendor info
    the MAC address you posted is just your router's
    20CF30 ASUSTek COMPUTER INC. IEEE Registration Authority
    Congratulations on getting yours to work straight out of the box.
    MAC Filter Mode: Disabled
    WPA2 key was not mistyped
    My router and Thrive do NOT have the same MAC address

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Ok, I misinterpreted some of your data, sorry.

If you're still stuck -
    Any chance that in your router you don't permit it to issue a sufficient number of IPs? it's unlikely since it works without security in place (yikes!) but I thought I should mention it.

I noticed that one thing the resident expert, bobj, recommends is to start over. In the Thrive settings, find your network name and select FORGET it. Then retry your important entries (WPA2 key) and all that other stuff.

If that doesn't work, see if the more elaborate thing in post#3 here would help:
    http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/to...html#post57137
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you very much ttmoo for your suggestions and willingness to help.

I had been entering my WPA2 key in all LOWERcase when in fact it should have been all UPPERcase.
    I would have bet money my key consisted of all lowercase characters. I stand corrected.
    Just for fun (after trying everything else) I thought I would try all UPPERCASE. CONNECTED!!!
    My bad. Best part I get to keep my Thrive! I hope by posting my mistake it might help someone else.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Frank, congratulations on WPA2 and thanks for the feedback.

You had it easy with all uppercase. I have numbers, lower case, upper case, all 20 of them, nearly impossible to do correctly from this on-screen keyboard

Enjoy your Thrive, it's a nice gadget.
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Congratulations on solving your problem. My router requires that I enter my key with upper-case letters, also, regardless of how I enter it during configuration. However, my previous router worked with lower case.
    HTC One X - 4.0.4 ICS
    Toshiba Thrive - CM10 Convoluted Crocodile-U3

My addiction to technology is limited only by my lack of time for pursuit.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    Frank, congratulations on WPA2 and thanks for the feedback.

You had it easy with all uppercase. I have numbers, lower case, upper case, all 20 of them, nearly impossible to do correctly from this on-screen keyboard

Enjoy your Thrive, it's a nice gadget.
    Actually my key consists of a mixture of 41 UPPERCASE letters and 22 numbers, all scattered about, for a total of 63. It's a miracle I ever got it entered correctly. Best part my wife is happy!

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frank. View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you very much ttmoo for your suggestions and willingness to help.

I had been entering my WPA2 key in all LOWERcase when in fact it should have been all UPPERcase.
    I would have bet money my key consisted of all lowercase characters. I stand corrected.
    Just for fun (after trying everything else) I thought I would try all UPPERCASE. CONNECTED!!!
    My bad. Best part I get to keep my Thrive! I hope by posting my mistake it might help someone else.

Let me add my thanks to ttmoo. You are always jumping in to help with these network problems, and you are good at it too.
    You are enthusiastic, knowledgable, and most importantly you relate to the OP's problems and temperment. It is so nice to have you as a forum partner.
    DoubleDAZ and Walking_Corpse like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads