• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thrive will not connect to AT&T 2WIRE router

My little sister received a cool Toshiba Thrive for Christmas but the thing will not connect to the proprietary router we have. The router isn't the problem because I've been able to connect a Macbook, 2 PCs, a 3DS and a smartphone to it and they all work as needed. When we put in the password for the connection it saying it is 'scanning' and 'connecting' then disconnects and starts going into a scanning loop saying is scanning then stopping then starting again.

I found a similar topic about this but the thread did not answer my question. I followed all of the steps of given solutions to no avail. And the constant suggestion to set the beacon or preamble differently is highly frustrating because the model router I have does not have such settings (I have gone through all the menus about ten times, literally).

I have also heard that the connection security could be a factor but I am not willing to downgrade my WPA 2 (TKIP & AES) to a WPA 1 or WEP, unless its absolutely necessary. I've been googling for hours so I need a solution or unfortunately we will have to return it for a more compatible device, which would suck because we got this for a good price (new).

Our router is a 2WIRE 3800 hgv-b (we have AT&T Uverse, idk if I should specify anything else)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shakefry View Post
    My little sister received a cool Toshiba Thrive for Christmas but the thing will not connect to the proprietary router we have. The router isn't the problem because I've been able to connect a Macbook, 2 PCs, a 3DS and a smartphone to it and they all work as needed. When we put in the password for the connection it saying it is 'scanning' and 'connecting' then disconnects and starts going into a scanning loop saying is scanning then stopping then starting again.

I found a similar topic about this but the thread did not answer my question. I followed all of the steps of given solutions to no avail. And the constant suggestion to set the beacon or preamble differently is highly frustrating because the model router I have does not have such settings (I have gone through all the menus about ten times, literally).

I have also heard that the connection security could be a factor but I am not willing to downgrade my WPA 2 (TKIP & AES) to a WPA 1 or WEP, unless its absolutely necessary. I've been googling for hours so I need a solution or unfortunately we will have to return it for a more compatible device, which would suck because we got this for a good price (new).

Our router is a 2WIRE 3800 hgv-b (we have AT&T Uverse, idk if I should specify anything else)

I am having the same exact problem with mine. I am using the Linksys Router

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    BobJ will get on and help you guys out. He is our router guy. Also, you can expect this thread to be moved to the networking section, so if you cannot find it, look there.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    You could try an app on the market called wifinder, it says it can connect to wpa2 networks.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can the USB cord be used to update the tablet itself and download such an app?

Because the Tablet won't connect in the first place, I mean.
    Last edited by shakefry; 12-25-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: misspelled 'cord'

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also if compatibility is an issue is there a way to hook up a second router without costing anything and without messing up any other configurations? Because we have a spare dual router.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    You could put it on an sd card, I could put it on dropbox

Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't have a SD atm. I would like to see what Bobj has to say configuration-wise before I use the app as well. How do I receive your dropbox file? (I just made one) --Thank you for the suggestion.
    Last edited by shakefry; 12-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Srry, don't have access to my laptop, and I havent figured out public folder links from the thrive itself.

Last edited by Bilgediver; 12-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shakefry View Post

Hi shakefry - Nice to meet you. You are 100 percent right you should not lower your security - WPA2 is the strongest and it does work fine with Thrive. That is what I use.

For some reason the ATT 2-wire routers are the most frustrating, but that is not a problem. We just might have to try a few different things, instead of getting it to connect the first time, so stay with me, OK? big brothers always have to help their little sisters...

----

1. You do not have MAC Filtering enabled,do you? If you do add the Thrive's MAC to the Router's list of permitted devices. Then try connecting.....

2. Not using MAC Filtering, or you added the thrive and still can not connect ......

OK,
    First ... Lets get the info your Windows Laptop has about your router when it connects
    successfully to the 3800HG-B Router via wifi:

On your (Win7?) PC that is successfully connected by wifi to the same network, lets get some wifi settings. Vista - pretty much the same screens, XP a little different looking.

Click on the wifi signal lower right taskbar, open network and sharing center.

click on right side in blue, your network name

Pop up window - click on Details
    the detail window opens ...

IPv4 Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0, if not we need to change it in the router settings.
    This would prevent you from getting to the internet, but with all devices not just thrive.

Copy down IPv4 Default Gateway, and both IPv4 Servers
    (Most routers will not need the actual IPv4 addresses in the devices DNS1 and DNS2, but yours might)

Now (no picture) close the DETAILS window and click on WIRELESS PROPERTIES. click on SECURITY tab, then click on SHOW PASSWORD. DO NOT CHANGE THIS FIELD, YOUR PC WILL DISCONNECT. WHAT YOU SEE IN THIS FIELD IS THE CORRECT PASSWORD TO YOUR NETWORK.

(I just want to be 100 percent sure - this is the password you need to log the thrive on. You are pretty sharp with all this stuff, so you know it is case sensitive, don't mistake a "zero" for the cap letter O, etc.

We will try using these when we set Thrive's wifi settings for your network.

Now please check the following router summary page by logging on to your router.
    Make sure, on the right side it, shows enough DHCP Available, and on that the router
    address is still 192.168.1.254

And on the left, the page is exactly the same as below, none of the blank fields are filled in, right?
    And the top button is still selected ..... 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 (default)

2wire adv netw summ.JPG
    Last edited by bobj; 12-28-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads