• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh ok, I think I see where I've been confused. I've been using my Macbook to access the router (but we do have a PC as well, should I use my PC instead?). Also my interface looks different from that and it says Uverse at the top. MAC filtering is not enabled on our router either.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm still able to see my IP info though, through my "about this mac" menu (including Sub mask, IPv4 server, etc)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Screen shot 2011-12-27 at 12.25.30 AM.jpg
    looks like this

I do see a similar section where my IP is set to default though. It only lacks the current settings box where it shows the total available DHCP.
    Last edited by shakefry; 12-27-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Would it possibly help if i DID enable filtering? then I could just put in all the device's MAC addresses and maybe it'll be more focused or something?

edit: I just found a similar page, the design is slightly different. The router/gateway address is one number above my DHCP range and it says I have 178 available and there are 12 allocated (weird because we only have 10 devices connected to this thing that I know of)
    Last edited by shakefry; 12-27-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: adding more info

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shakefry View Post
    Also if compatibility is an issue is there a way to hook up a second router without costing anything and without messing up any other configurations? Because we have a spare dual router.
    Yes you could do this but better to get you connected on the 2wire preferably.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shakefry View Post
    Would it possibly help if i DID enable filtering? then I could just put in all the device's MAC addresses and maybe it'll be more focused or something?
    No filtering wont "pull in" the devices, through the front door of the router. Filtering will just turn them around and kick them out again if they are not on the "invited to the party" List.

edit: I just found a similar page, the design is slightly different. The router/gateway address is one number above my DHCP range and it says I have 178 available and there are 12 allocated (weird because we only have 10 devices connected to this thing that I know of)
    OK so you have plenty of available IP addresses (DHCP). It is normal to see a couple more than the number of devices you have.

So now you have the info you need to connect the thrive (maybe):

1-Hold the Thrive in portrait mode so the keyboard does not hide the settings

2- Go to Settings >> Wireless and Networks >> Wi-Fi settings >> tap your network name, Tap FORGET

Now when your network name shows up again under wifi settings ....

select WPA2
    Enter password, it is case sensitive.

3- tap the triangle where it says DHCP, select "static"

enter 192.168.1.173. (a nice odd numbered unused ip, away from the auto assigned ones).
    (You are making it an odd number (173) because if you buy, in the future, something like a network drive, or AppleTV, it will probably come with a nice "multiple of five" static number like 150 or 155 or 35

the "CONNECT" is greyed out .... right?

4- enter routers gateway 192.168.1.254
    enter prefix 24
    enter dns1 192.168.1.254

5- the"CONNECT" brightened up again? Tap CONNECT.
    ....... OR ..........
    CONNECT is still greyed out? Enter DNS2 192.168.1.254, tap CONNECT

ARE YOU CONNECTED???

If NO
    1- update the router's firmware - try connecting again
    2- We will give up on the 3800 and add your second router, with different sets of DHCP ranges, and broadcasting on a non-conflicting channels to the 3800's channel ( channels 1, 6, and 11 do not conflict with each other - assign one router to channel one and the other to channel 11, and keep them a couple of feet away from each other.

shakefry, Please Let us know how it goes, which solution worked ... so other forum readers can help their little sisters too ....

we are standing by (actually in my comfy recliner waiting ..)

Thanks, bobj
    aka Bojo, or Obi-Wan, or RouterRooter
    Last edited by bobj; 12-28-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry for the late response. I checked all the information and manually typed in all the info into the Thrive. The Connection still cycles between 'scanning' 'authenticating' 'disconnecting' and seems to quit trying only to start cycling again. I read on another article that the AT&T proprietary routers are different from a router you would buy yourself (both are a 3800 hgv-b router by model) and that certain features are different like accessing the router's SSH.

I'm beginning to believe it's my ISP and not the Thrive, because I just recently had this problem with my PS3 console. It's weird that it's not connecting to those while it's able to connect to a Nintendo Wii/3DS and two other laptops including the 2-3 basic internet cable boxes we have.

So how would I go about updating the firmware? I can't seem to find that option.

Also if that does not work how would I be able to connect a second router to the 2wire router and relay the signal through the 2wire? Or would I have to just set up the router completely separate w/out buying another 'internet line' so to speak (Because with my ISP I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that)?

If these won't work I'm going to contact my ISP and then follow up with how they fixed it or if I had to change ISPs.

Thank you in advance Obi-wan.
    Last edited by shakefry; 12-30-2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: additional info

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    hi shakefry, try two routers next - you said you had another router, right? I just set up another forum member who had a 3800hgv-b this way and it worked first shot.

Yes, I agree there is something different in ATT's router firmware, often I give up on the ATT/2wire router's wifi and I attach another router. I have had ATT/2wire problems with Apple stuff, tivos, and wifi Security Cameras.

Just wire the second router into one of the four PC ports on the 3800 as if it was another wired PC.

Now you have two options:
    1. Turn off wifi in the 3800 and let the second router do the wifi. Let the 3800 continue to do the wired connections.

2a. If you want two wifi networks in the house, (one is yours and the other could be a guest network):
    In the 3800 (see 2wire picture in post #10 above) switch from 192.160.1.0 to 10.0.0.0 in the SETTNGS, Private Network section. also set the channel to "1" (one) not automatic".

2b. Use the 192.168.xx.xx range in the second router. Set the channel to "11" (eleven), not automatic. Channels 1,6,11 are non-overlapping channels in the 2.4ghz band that won't interfere with each other.

Keep the two routers at least a foot apart, especially their antennas.

Shakefry, Please let me know how it goes, also what make and model you use for a second router, so we can help others.
    Last edited by bobj; 12-30-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads