• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times

How Do I change Device Name?

When I am tinkering with my router firmware, and I have 4 to 6 android devices all with cryptic device names like android-344564333953945,
    it would be nice to see bobj_thrive instead. So I installed the app "HOSTS", which will change my Thrive's device name. Not a bad solution.
    But the new device name only remains it until I re-boot the Thrive, because the device name is re-generated from device specific firmware data, returning it to the former, cryptic, name.

So I am thinking ... maybe I have two solutions to re-name the Thrive in a more permanent manner? (Win7 and Linux are easy, but I am an Android noob.)
    1 - I could have
    HOSTS run as a startup app automatically when the Thrive boots.
    2 - Put the code "su busybox hostname bobj_thrive" some where in an "init.rc" type of file, (after android-344564333953945 has been re-generated from the booting)

Does this sound right? Can anyone help me with the correct way to do either? Or am I missing option 3 entirely?

Thanks, bobj

Last edited by bobj; 09-13-2011 at 07:37 AM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    Some routers allow you to edit the displayed names, which are then stored in a table, linked to MAC.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Yes, I keep switching test (not even beta yet) versions of the router firmware, switching hardware versions and circuitboards in the routers, and the router backup/restores are not always compatible, so I prefer to make the changes at the device end (PC's and Thrive). Plus this is a fun opportunity for me to learn some Android architecture - I want to graduate out of Android noob - I spent a day digging thru the Android OS trying to find the solution before I gave up and made this post. So I am thinking, for one of our Android experts in the forum here, this is a simple answer. It must have been done many times before?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    Might give the following a try:

Root, install busybox and write a script that calls "busybox hostname [new_device_name]" after it boots up. This method requires root and an app called autostart (root). I'm not sure if there is a better way at this point to set it once and make it permanent without requiring a script to run after booting up.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    You are right on point, mcarver2000. This is kind of my option 2. Rather than add a new app though, I just want to add "su busybox hostname bobj_thrive" at the "right place ???" in an existing boot script, like init.rc but I don't understand enough about Android's boot run levels and call sequences to know where the correct networking initialization scripting is.

In Debian, for example, end-users are encouraged to use 60-*.conf and above," so I would create a file /etc/sysctl.d/60-bobj.conf instead of editing sysctl.conf directly or calling "sysctl -w" from rc.local: This way updates would keep the
    60-*.conf and above changes.

I was hoping someone could point me to the analogous point, in the appropriate network init script, in our Android boot sequence.
    Last edited by bobj; 09-13-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you ever get a good answer to this?

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    no more than you see in this thread.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    It can be done but you'll need a paperclip, metalic bubblegum wrapper, and a Justin Bieber CD
    Toshiba Thrive 10" - CynagenMod 10 "Convoluted Crocodile U3"
    Motorola Atrix 2 (ICS) - Stock
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Retired
    Ubuntu 12.04 32bit
    Kumbuntu 11.11 32bit
    Windows 8 RC 32bit

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    I assume the Bieber CD is to break its resolve to do what Toshiba coded it to do and bend it to your will.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    i'm sure it is a simple boot script change, i just have not had time to figure it out it yet.

I'm using HOST app, it is good enough for now. I'll dig through the boot scripts someday.

Ads