• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mgaddict
  • 1 Post By mgaddict
  • 1 Post By mgaddict

Thread: Intermittent Internet no matter where I am (SOLVED)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Intermittent Internet no matter where I am (SOLVED)

Okay, so I see tons of posts on here and I read the sticky. However, I do have internet. If I go to the web browser, I have to hit refresh a random number of times before the page loads. If I'm in an app, the same thing. This really causes a problem with trying to do things like register my e-mail address I just get no connection 3 times and then I have to reenter the information. So here's a list of my troubleshooting....
    1. delete and recreate connection on tablet.
    2. Try connecting someplace besides home. I've tried multiple locations and multiple routers. No change.
    3. ensure I have all the software updated. Not an easy task due to the problem but I'm pretty sure I have all the latest updates.
    3. Factory reset entire device.
    4. root the device and try different images. Really this shouldn't help, but at this point I'm figuring this thing is done and so it doesn't really matter what I try now.
    5. Get really pissed, hold a screw driver in one hand and threaten the tablet that I'm going to throw it across the room. (Believe it or not, threatening electronics while holding tools sometimes does the trick. Like kicking the side of your dryer. Actually throwing the electronic however typically causes more problems. And I've never seen it fix it.)
    Just some background, this tablet actually belongs to my mother. I usually fix everybodys computers when I'm home visiting. My mother quit using this tablet a year ago because of the problem. She got it in 2011 or something so the warranty is long over.
    My next thought is to physically take this thing apart until I can find the antenna and check for any physical damage I can repair. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by danvee; 06-19-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    rosalie likes this.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    I would root, do a clean wipe and freshly install a ROM. Any ROM should do, and dalepl's ICS has the advantage of doing a clean wipe and being virtually identical to stock. Wipe and reinstall ("format and restore") is like taking off and nuking the site from orbit: it's the only way to be sure.

[ROM] DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

If that doesn't help, then it has to be a hardware issue. It could be the antenna, or it could be the circuitry itself. This video of breaking down a Thrive might help you.

[HOW TO] Teardown, Rebuild & Replace A Toshiba Thrive Screen - YouTube
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    The wireless card, as you can see in the http://www.techrepublic.com/pictures...Bsiu-container
    Is a plugin and easily replaced.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I would root, do a clean wipe and freshly install a ROM. Any ROM should do, and dalepl's ICS has the advantage of doing a clean wipe and being virtually identical to stock. Wipe and reinstall ("format and restore") is like taking off and nuking the site from orbit: it's the only way to be sure.

[ROM] DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

If that doesn't help, then it has to be a hardware issue. It could be the antenna, or it could be the circuitry itself. This video of breaking down a Thrive might help you.

[HOW TO] Teardown, Rebuild & Replace A Toshiba Thrive Screen - YouTube
    I'm currently running that ROM. I say install images, I know they are called ROMs for these devices but at work I image computers and while they aren't exactly the same thing, the end result is the same so to correct my earlier post, I installed different ROMs.
    So basically I'm correct in assuming it's probably a hardware issue. That's fine, I just wanted a second opinion before I took it apart. Thanks for the video link, I'll watch it before I get started.
    The wireless card, as you can see in the http://www.techrepublic.com/pictures...Bsiu-container
    Is a plugin and easily replaced.
    That's very useful. I haven't started tearing this down yet. I've replaced cell phone screens and replaced many laptop internal components. So this looks like it'll be pretty easy.

Thank both of you for your help although I was hoping it would have been some type of simple software fix. O well.
    rosalie likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Okay, so here is the update....
    I did discover one of the 2 antennas did not appear to be connected completely. So I plugged it back in and mostly put the tablet back together. I've now noticed something I'm sure if it was happening before or not.
    All the Google apps, gmail, maps, play, etc. as well as going to Google and conducting a search works first time and perfectly. When I use any other apps or try to go to any other web pages, I have to refresh 5, 10, sometimes 20 times before it connects. That seams really odd that I can connect to google's services with no hickups but nothing else. I've tried different DSNs, both the free ones by google and the one provided by FIOS with no change.
    Even more strange, when the tablet is connected to my home network, all my systems running linux have connection issues. Windows doesn't seem to have any problem but all 3 of my systems running linux are now spotty.
    I'm going to take the tablet someplace I can try to connect to a public wifi and see what happens, but this just seems odd. I would hope it's not some type of virus although it does appear that way. I've rooted the device and reset it completely. I've not heard of a virus being that stuborn to survive that.
    This problem may have existed before but I hadn't used it enough to notice.
    Any suggestions?
    sheasmom likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I took the tablet out in public and it worked great. At my house, however, my FiOS router firmware was currupt. Verizon had no idea how it could have happened. I'm thinking this tablet had some type of virus or something on it because I had no problems at my house until I was trying to use this tablet. I'm pretty sure I've got everything cleared up. After Verizon replaced their router everything went back to working. I talked to my parents about it and they told their FiOS router had had issues around the same time this tablet quit working so that solidifies for me it was some piece of software on this thing. I'm not 100% sure what caused the problem but i feel like I was being promiscuous with an STD having tried to connect this thing to other WiFi networks while I was trouble shooting.
    Long story short, all is well. The tablet works great and so do the rest of the systems on my home network.

P.S. How do I mark this as solved?
    Last edited by mgaddict; 06-19-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Not likely, and I've not heard of a tablet infecting a router, but....

So long as it works now.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Marked as "solved".
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Glad you got it sorted
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    I too have never heard of a tablet transmitting malware to a router, but every so often there are reports of a particular router brand having a newly discovered vulnerability. Do you and your parents have the same brand? But I'm more inclined to think they're just cheapo stuff Verizon gives out. Malware that infects routers is typically a bandwidth hog (as it scans for other victims), not something destructive that can't replicate itself.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Remove Ads

Ads