• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcarver2000
  • 1 Post By panda
  • 1 Post By rich

Thread: Thrive and File Manager HD

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Thrive and File Manager HD

Shortly after acquiring my AT100 several years ago, I installed File Manager HD. I configured it's Network connection so that I could access files on my desktop PC running Windows XP. All was good. Sometime last year the access to my PC quit working. I checked the PC's IP address by running ipconfig in a cmd window. File Manger HD had the correct IP address. I was using "anonymous" for the connection rather than specifying a username and password.

I've since upgraded the PC OS to Windows 7 hoping this would fix the problem. It did not. In the Control Panel | Network and Internet | HomeGroup settings I have Pictures, Music, etc. checked for Sharing. I also have "Stream my pictures..." checked.

I've double-checked the PC's IP address. However, I cannot "ping" this address from a laptop on my home network. I've tried entering my PC username and password in File Manger HD but this doesn't work either. Anyone have a suggestion?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    The fact that the PC is not ping'able from your network should be clue.... Is it possible that you have more than 1 device on your network sharing the same IP address?

Install Fing - Network Tools on your tablet and see if you can see the PC showing up on the network? Also check for duplicate IP's on the network.
    rosalie likes this.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Since you can't ping the PC, definitely follow mcarver's advice. Also check Windows Firewall in case it's blocking pings. I regularly use File Manager (the regular version without the sidebar) and ES File Explorer to play music and video off our main home PC. On that PC I share directories a little differently, setting up something like D:\Music with a shared name Music. In FM or ESFE, once I tap on the main PC's static IP address, I can see the names of all shared folders.

This shouldn't make a difference with your setup, but I set our main PC to require a login for access to the shared folders. WPA2 and AES should be pretty good on a home router, but you never know if there's a new vulnerability. Requiring a username and password on home PCs means they'll stay mostly safe even if someone gets into the router.
    rosalie likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks, all. Have installed Fing and will do some sleuthing.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    rosalie likes this.

Remove Ads

Ads