• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcarver2000
  • 1 Post By Ryan327
  • 1 Post By Ryan327

Thread: Wifi Connectivity issues

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Wifi Connectivity issues

So my Thrive has never had any wifi issues before. Went on a vacation with it and it started hanging when using my families wifi network. Pages would load 10-25% and then just stop (according to the loading bar).

Was hoping it would be better when I got back home but it's not. I tried resetting my cable modem, router, forgetting and reconnecting my tablet and lastly I tried to wipe everything except the SD card, still no luck.

The network acts up under any browser, play, and even speed test app. though sometimes it will run and have good speeds, other times it will only run the download side and freeze on the upload test. The network never drops off and signal strength and speed are both very good.

It seems like something is blocking my traffic almost like a malware infection.

Can anyone offer any ideas to get me back up and running???

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    7", 10", HC or ICS, rooted or not?
    What do you mean by "wiping everything except the SD".?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Almost sounds as if your tablet is sharing an IP address with another device or even the router. Get Fing - Network Tools and look at the devices and assigned IP addresses.
    Burrman likes this.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Shared IP

I've got a rooted 10" thrive. When I say wiped everything I mean I wiped all the cache's and formatted everything but the SD card and even changed ROM from Black Bean 7 to Kuroikaze Shinka CM10. None of that did anything to help fix this issue. I checked the IP address and you are dead on, for some reason my tablet is assigned an IP address outside of my DHCP range and it would not release or renew this IP which was static assigned to my QNap (NAS).

I went ahead and manually assigned an IP to the tablet and everything works great again. I then deleted the manual assignment and reconnected the tablet again but it's still assigning the IP address outside of the range it's supposed to...

Really have no clue why it's doing this but at least i'm able to get it working again.

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan327; 07-18-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Is your router (or server) trying to issue your thrive a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address by chance? What specifically is your DHCP trying to pool out to your thrive for an address and what is your thrive hooking up with for an address.
    This is interesting.
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay, after talking to my IT friends, apparently the address I had manually assigned to my Qnap was actually within my DHCP range due to my lack of understanding of the numbering and since I had not actually reserved that IP i had issues. He's not sure why I was having issues on my friends connection other then the same issue possibly with using an already taken IP address. Apparently the tablet doesn't like to release it's IP address either so I had to manually reassign it first before it would finally take a new IP address.

ex. 192.168.1.1 is the router, 192.168.1.2 is my qnap, and i though .100 to .154 would be dhcp, when it doesn't work that way. so now i reserved .2 to .9 for future use and 10 to 154 would be for dhcp. hope i got this right finally.
    danvee likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I saw your other post about routers today, I'm using an Asus RT-N66R and this thing is very fast. Much more so that anything I'm using right now or what my 'slow' hi-speed internet can handle 15/2 Mbps rated, more like 20/3.5 actual.

I had calculated through put speeds when I first got my Qnap and it was very good, but still pretty far below what they rate it as but so far signal strength and speed all over my house has been good. I actually backed the power down after a few days to avoid unecessary range/signal noise for my neighbors.

Remove Ads

Ads