• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Screen stopped working, help!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Screen stopped working, help!

Sad day today. Long story short, my tablet dropped off my desk, but i managed to at least prevent it from hitting the ground with my leg. Sadly, as a result, the screen stopped working. The LED lights still come on, and I'm able to do a hard restart, but no change. I've even taken the battery out, nothing. Any suggestions or ideas before I ship it off to Toshiba?

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1953 times
    There is a ribon cable that attached the digitizer to the motherboard. You might try opening up the device and check the connections. You have one cable for the screen itself and one for the digitizer (touch screen). There is a thread on here that covers disassembly of the Thrive. I am not telling you to disassemble it, just use the steps to find the correct cable connection to check.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I believe there are two batteries in the thrive. If I remember correctly there is a blue one also. I'd wait to see what other members say. You might want to wait but I think its worth a try to remove the second battery maybe it got jarred loose when it fell.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Be sure to leave both batteries out at least 5-15 mins before putting them back in.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk
    Toshiba Thrive 32GB
    Running DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So if one battery is loose, it would cause the screen to stop working? It's still getting power...

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnOfTheDead View Post
    So if one battery is loose, it would cause the screen to stop working? It's still getting power...
    Not really sure, but it never hurts to try all options before giving up.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk
    Toshiba Thrive 32GB
    Running DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I believe there are two batteries in the thrive. If I remember correctly there is a blue one also. I'd wait to see what other members say. You might want to wait but I think its worth a try to remove the second battery maybe it got jarred loose when it fell.
    This is true, there's the main battery(which is the big one you pull out when removing the back cover) and then there's a smaller battery(this one blue, with a short cord attached to it) which is the system battery. You can pull them both by just popping off the back cover.

I found this article to be helpful =)

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    you can try removing both batterys for a few minutes.if that dont work i would do what dalepl said check the ribbon.if thats don't work only choice is send it in.hope its just the ribbon. check all connections while your doing that.
    Last edited by rtmaston; 03-13-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Great thread!
    Yesterday at my mother in law's my Thrive slide off a counter that I had put on some glossy Astronomy magazines that were on a TupperWare container of cookies. Anyway, the display was all ziggy zaggy like I was trying to watch an old TV set with sporadic thin lines of color. Like the OP....not happy.

The touch functions still worked still worked but I had to guess what icon apps I was tapping. I could use my HDMI out to see what I was doing on my TV and the USB still functioned so that I could start pulling files off the Thrive in preparation of saying good bye to it.

After talking with my wife and reading this thread, I gained the confidence to start the dis-assembly of my THRiVE. After carefully removing the back panel, battery and a few small ribbon cables I noticed that there were three wires (white, gray and purple) that were connected to a circuit board that pivot some screw head type connectors. One of the wire connectors was touching the other and must have pivoted/clocked and touched the other and "fuzzied" up the display. So I clocked the wire away so that it no longer touched the other wire and when I put everything back together with much prayer the wonderful THRiVE which I have had since August 2011 worked fantastically.

After saying all this, I am almost positive this was the issue. Thanks to Shawn, Dale and Derek and all you other helpful people!
    toshiba_thrive_teardown_024_wm ind.jpg
    Attached Images
    rosalie likes this.
    Just tap the ball! Tappy tap-tap!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    890 times
    That's great to hear! I know how relieved you must have been

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    GrandPrixChris likes this.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Ads