• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Android process media stopped working (again and again)

Hi folks! I have been researching this problem, and it's been a great annoyance.

Randomly, I have been getting the android.process.media stopped working messages. As per to forums' advice, I went to the settings and cleared the data and cache for the media.

This is a dilemma, because the error occurs again whenever I insert an sd card with pictures and video files. I have a feeling that this media process is trying to grab some thumbnails and other info from the new media file, but some video files are simply not playable in the thrive (e.g. 1080p video from a digital camera). As such I think the process is creating corrupted thumbnails or other information that is causing it to crash.

In all honesty, is there a way to make this error stop? The Thrive is not rooted and I plan not to do so. Hopefully, rooting won't be a necessary to fix this problem.

Thank you!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    Whenever you insert an SD card or USB drive, the system scans for media files. If you have a corrupted file causing a problem, one recourse is to:

copy them to a PC
    erase the card
    test it in the Thrive (reformat if needed)
    copy them back to the card a few at a time
    retest in Thrive
    repeat until you find the offending file(s)
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What about a file that the Thrive cannot read, not because it's corrupt but because of the file's structure? e.g. 1080p video file.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdkyo View Post
    What about a file that the Thrive cannot read, not because it's corrupt but because of the file's structure? e.g. 1080p video file.
    Sorry, I don't know enough about that, but if you have those, you might try copying/deleting them first to see if that's the problem.
    Cheers, Dave

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1951 times
    What file extension is on the 1080p files. They should play on the Thrive. If the stock video player does not support them I do think Mobo or MX player will. You should not get process errors even if the file is not supported.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    Put an empty file named '.nomedia' in the directory you don't want Media Scan to read the files.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much guys! Reformatting the card did help for the sd card that had some movies in it. No more error messages!

Just in case (because I use a different photo gallery app anyway), I will put that nomedia file into all of my sd cards.

Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    Put an empty file named '.nomedia' in the directory you don't want Media Scan to read the files.
    Ok, that kind of works. However, if you try to "play" a media file, that seems to initiate the scan and the selected file starts/stops, etc., until the scan completes. The files then play flawlessly once the scan is done. I wonder how many folks complaining about their movies not playing smoothly are experiencing this because of the media scan. I wonder if a way around this would be to put movies in individual folders with a .nomedia file? Guess I found something to play with today.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    briandickert
    I'm getting this same message (over and over again). I cleared the app data for media, and it seemed to stop for a day or two, & now it occurs just after start up.

I googled this error message about a month ago and didn't see anything on Thrive Forums.

I just put in an empty SD card and still got the error message.

I posted a message today in the CWM instruction thread b/c that is hanging. TB is also hanging (always on the Google Currents app), and when I look at the Settings > Storage the system never calculates the sizes, everything keeps saying Calculating...

I'm at the point where I think I need to re-load the ROM, but I can't seem to make a Backup from CWM or TB.

I can access my files with the USB cable on the computer, so which files should I save?

Edit:
    I will also add, I am getting errors with media files starting for a few seconds and then they stop and a message says this type of file cannot be played.
    Last edited by BrianD; 02-01-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I used to get the same error message before (android.process.media stopped working). The message went away after I "cleaned up" Google Currents App.

It turned out Google Currents app has been downloading a lot of files and got bloated to 3-4GB with a lot of small files and directories. It takes a long time for media scan to scan those files. It took me 20 minutes just to delete those files under Google Currents.

Check this thread:

Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications --> Computing... takes a long time

Hope it helps.

-William
    Last edited by wklam; 02-01-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Ads