• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Help with Tethering!

I would like to get internet access on my Thrive when there is no WiFi service available. I guess the best thing to do would be to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, but I was told I can't do that without rooting my phone. So, I got, "PdaNet for Tablet" and installed it on my Motorola Droid A855 phone and my Toshiba Thrive Tablet. It works fine for browsing the internet and going to websites, but if I try to use an application that accesses the internet or try to watch a YouTube video, etc. it disconnects me from the internet. PdaNet for Tablet is connecting via Blutooth. Is there a way I can fix this problem, or is there a better way to connect my tablet to my phone without these kinds of issues? Thanks so much for all your help and time! ...Steve

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help with tethering!

Can you explain how you were able to make it work with pdanet for tablet? I'm able to pair them but it says "Paired but not connected".
    The internet doesn't work. I have a mytouch 4g. I dropped the phone one time and the wifi no longer works. The USB tethering still works and so is the bluetooth.

Please help!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, all you have to do is follow the instructions step by step and it should work. There is a few issues doing it this way though. The first is blutooth is really slow at transfering data and the second is that PDANet for Tablet will only allow internet access for a few things, like email and your internet browser, it won't work with any apps that require internet access. So, if you just want to do those 2 things it's fine.

The best thing to do is Root your phone and install an app that turns your phone into a WiFi hotspot. Like Open Garden WiFi Tether, the same app is also called a bunch of different names. This app also is supposed to allow you to connect either via Blutooth or WiFi but I haven't been able to figure out how to get that to work yet with blutooth, but I have no problems getting to work with the WiFi on my friends phone since he has a newer phone. If you have a newer phone it will work with no problem, because it will work in Infrustructure Mode, but older phones is a problem because they will only work in Ad-Hoc Mode, and the tablet can't see Ad-Hoc networks unless you root the tablet and change some files, one is called WPA something, but I don't think that's available for the Thrive yet because it's so new. If you have a newer phone you don't have to worry about it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope that was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by thriving View Post
    Can you explain how you were able to make it work with pdanet for tablet? I'm able to pair them but it says "Paired but not connected".
    The internet doesn't work. I have a mytouch 4g. I dropped the phone one time and the wifi no longer works. The USB tethering still works and so is the bluetooth.

Please help!
    Last edited by Apota; 08-28-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Apota View Post
    I would like to get internet access on my Thrive when there is no WiFi service available. I guess the best thing to do would be to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, but I was told I can't do that without rooting my phone. So, I got, "PdaNet for Tablet" and installed it on my Motorola Droid A855 phone and my Toshiba Thrive Tablet. It works fine for browsing the internet and going to websites, but if I try to use an application that accesses the internet or try to watch a YouTube video, etc. it disconnects me from the internet. PdaNet for Tablet is connecting via Blutooth. Is there a way I can fix this problem, or is there a better way to connect my tablet to my phone without these kinds of issues? Thanks so much for all your help and time! ...Steve
    I am using Miui (android 2.3.5) on my Vibrant and can connect them together and use it that way when no wifi is around. I think I USB-ed it once I can not recall if it was on Miui or CM7 anyways very easy to do IF you are using Miui on your phone.
    THRIVE3.1 16GB - HMJ37.01.5.0032, CWM 4.0.1.4 ThriveEdition (Aug 2011)
    T-Mobile Vibrant (Jul 2010), NookColor (Nov 2010), T-mobileG1 (OCT 2008)
    Use Ubuntu 11.04, i7-960 CPU, 24GB RAM, & Win7 in VM for Odin

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, because you probably have a newer phone that works in Infrastructure mode. I looked into it and changing my phone to a different ROM won't make a difference, it will still run in Ad-Hoc mode which the tablet can't see. It must be a hardware limitation on older phones. If I had a newer phone I'd have no problems or when I can Root the Thrive and allow it to see Ad-Hoc networks it should work too, or I'll just have to purchase a newer phone and Root it when the Rooting is available for whatever new phone I get.

Quote Originally Posted by heredavid View Post
    I am using Miui (android 2.3.5) on my Vibrant and can connect them together and use it that way when no wifi is around. I think I USB-ed it once I can not recall if it was on Miui or CM7 anyways very easy to do IF you are using Miui on your phone.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Hi Apota,

Most carriers enable tethering on your smartphone for an extra monthly charge. You can also use a WiFi Mobile Hotspot, all the carriers have them, here is a link to Verizon's Verizon Wireless - Explore They offer monthly and pay as you go options. Sprint offers un limited data on their 4G, I think. I use Verizon's MiFi, and it also serves as a back-up when my broadband cable goes down. Also in the Android market there is the Easy Tether app, it works on some carriers, but not on my Verizon smartphone.

-bobj

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Nevermind, there is now custom ROMs available for the Thirve Tablet. This should fix my issue. One of the ROMs adds Root priviledges and also fixes the Ad-Hoc issue among other things, so I'll try that and see what happens.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Good luck Apota, if you have any problems or need help, don't hesitate to ask those of us who live in the Development sub-forum
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Bilgediver, I'm actually going to try and do it right now. It looks pretty easy if you follow the step by step instructions. The only question I have is how do the Toshiba updates work after I install the Custom ROM? AM I still going to get update notifications about Toshiba Thrive Updates, and what do I do if I get them, just ignore them, or do I do the updates as I get them? Thanks for your help and time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Good luck Apota, if you have any problems or need help, don't hesitate to ask those of us who live in the Development sub-forum

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Apota View Post
    Thanks Bilgediver, I'm actually going to try and do it right now. It looks pretty easy if you follow the step by step instructions. The only question I have is how do the Toshiba updates work after I install the Custom ROM? AM I still going to get update notifications about Toshiba Thrive Updates, and what do I do if I get them, just ignore them, or do I do the updates as I get them? Thanks for your help and time!
    I wait until they root the new release. It's a lot easier than unrooting and rooting again.

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads