• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New Tool to Import Bookmarks to Thrive

I've spent the last 2 days trying just about every type of tool for importing bookmarks to the Thrive (Google Chrome sync, XMarks, various Market Apps, etc). Nothing seems to work the way it should. None of them seem to sync right or have full folder support. So I hacked up a way of my own that I hope can help others.

The first thing needed is the free Bookmark Sort & Backup app:

https://market.android.com/details?i...Jvb2ttYXJrcyJd

This app almost got it right and maybe they will in the future...but if you try to import your default IE/Firefox bookmarks, the folders won't make it and everything ends up in one folder...yuck!

Next you need to export your IE or Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file.

Firefox instructions are here:

Backing up and restoring bookmarks | How to | Firefox Help

Internet Explorer instructions are here:

How to import and export the Internet Explorer Favorites folder to a 32-bit version of Windows

Please make sure if you're using Windows Vista or 7 that you can view your file extensions. See a tutorial here if needed:

How to Show File Extension in Windows 7

Next you need to open your bookmarks in a text editor and copy them all.
    I wrote a tool to convert the IE and Firefox formats to the Android format. It's hosted on my Aunt's dog website for the time being . Access it here:

http://www.kdtsgermanshorthairedpoin.../bookmarks.php

Save the output from the tool to a new .html file of your choosing. Copy that .html file to your external SD card or internal storage.

Finally, open the Bookmark Sort & Backup app. Go into the settings and make sure the app points to the directory where you put the .html file (I used my external SD card and the path was /mnt/sdcard2). Then run a "Restore" and choose your .html file. I had about 800 bookmarks that took 60-90 seconds or so to import. After the stock Android browser got all my bookmarks, I was able to export to Dolphin. I haven't tried any other browsers. Hopefully others will.

The Bookmark Sort & Backup app is a little finicky. If you try a 2nd import and the app or the Android browser wasn't fully closed, it might not work. I had to kill a bunch of tasks every time I tested different bookmarks from IE and Firefox. Try rebooting if all else fails.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by quicky2g; 12-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads