• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Twitter
    LAWNKILLER1

Best Battery practice

What is the best Battery Practice for the TT?

I know with my Phone (Moto Cliq XT) its says not to run it past 63% or so, not to store it on the charger and never let it run completly dead. I know with my Lith batt powered tools they say not to store batts on the charger, not to run them completly dead and not to charge them for 20-30min after use.

I guess what I am looking for is; do many of you leave your TT plugged in all day/night when not in use? typically at what level do you charge it? 70% 50% or less? Do you shut it off if not going to be used for x amount of hrs?

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I charge it when I get the Low notification and sometimes I use it for hours while plugged in. I have left it On and plugged in overnight several times, but I never leave it Off and plugged in. I've gotten as low as 6+ hr's and as high as 13+ hr's on a single charge depending on what I'm doing, but it's not something I check very often or worry about.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The user guide says to run the battery all the way down before recharging it (I believe - I don't have it in front of me, don't quote me).

Which, doesn't make sense to me, b/c I was unaware that LiOn batteries had issues like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackmars2 View Post
    The user guide says to run the battery all the way down before recharging it (I believe - I don't have it in front of me, don't quote me).

Which, doesn't make sense to me, b/c I was unaware that LiOn batteries had issues like this.
    I just reread that whole part and the only time it references fully discharging the battery is to make the battery usage data more accurate. The only other useful caveat was to not leave it plugged in and turned off for more than a few hours. I found nothing that said anything about waiting until any point to charge it.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    i use mine on battery until about 20% or so, then plug it in, charge til 'charged', then unplug and wait til 20% again.
    i also charged it out of box until 'charged' ro make sure its battery 'memory' was full. not sure if 'memory' applies to lithium bats, but no harm in doing that.
    ni-cads needed to be drained and charged, but i understand lithiums can be refreshed without harm.
    people who use laptops and their batteries are kapoot early is becuz they use it plugged in alot, over charging.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    I just reread that whole part and the only time it references fully discharging the battery is to make the battery usage data more accurate. The only other useful caveat was to not leave it plugged in and turned off for more than a few hours. I found nothing that said anything about waiting until any point to charge it.
    That's probably what I was thinking off. While reading the guide I must have jumbled the "do this, don't do that" tips

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackmars2 View Post
    That's probably what I was thinking off. While reading the guide I must have jumbled the "do this, don't do that" tips
    No problem. There is so much info floating around out there on batteries, we're all confused.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    When I was working with Li-po and Li-ion batteries, best practice was to keep the battery at 50% for storage. The battery used in the thrive should have minimal leakage and sit on a shelf for years like that. There is no memory like those old ni-cads. When it is charged, it errodes the annode side of the battery, and when it is low it errodes the cathode side. Charging is nothing like those rechargable batteries of the past as they use pulse width modulation and thermal sensoring to force the charge and the battery is constantly sensed when the charge circuit is activated. You should never have a problem keeping your thrive plugged in 100% of the time unless there is an issue with this charge circuit. And if you abuse your battery into a short life, luckily we can just replace it.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Other than smart topping-off charging, the only real optimization is done by keeping the display turned down, GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth off when not needed, no live wallpaper, and checking for battery hungry apps via Settings - Battery. The apps basically tie these into the app and through in other goodies to make them stand out from the crowd.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Remove Ads

Ads