• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times

New To Forum, Not Yet A Thrive Owner

Hi,

As the title says I don't yet own a Thrive. However, I am pretty sure I will be purchasing one soon, certainly before Christmas. I looked at the Thrive today at Best Buy. I also looked at the Galaxy, Xoom, and iPad2. I can already say my wife and I both liked the Thrive better than the rest. We felt it was easier to hold than the iPad2 even though it's heavier, the rubberized backing making it feel that way. I will be returning to Best Buy soon to look deeper, but I thought I might get quicker and more accurate answers here. So, the asnwers to the following quesions willl help me make up my mind. I appreciate any responses.

1. Battery life - I've read a number of Thrive reviews and they seem divided on just how long the battery will last. CNet says 5.5 hrs in their test (vs 10 for the iPad2), many others say about 6 hrs and at least one says he gets 11 hrs on a charge. My main uses will be email, browsing, downloading photos from my Olympus dSLR (E-510) and then loading them to my blog, checkbook management along with some spreadsheet maintenance, etc. I don't currently do a lot of You Tube or viewing of TV episodes, but I expect to in the future, including connecting to a TV via HDMI.

2. Spreadsheet - Will I be able to find a spreadsheet app similar to Excel?

3. Browser - Does the browser support https sites so I can access my bank accounts? Does it allow bypassing invalid certificates like IE and Firefox do? I use dodlodging.com a lot and its certificates always give errors when trying to log in. TriCare Online does the same thing.

4. Email - I have a Droid and the email app lets me access my Cox email accounts to download emails and avoid the slow Cox Netmail. Will the Thrive email app do the same?

5. Tether Support - Will I be able to tether the Thrive to my Droid for 3G access? And/Or can it use a Verizon mobile access dongle like my sister uses on her Dell laptop?

6. Printing - Does the Thrive allow me to print webpages, emails, and documents to a wireless printer connected to my home network?

7. NetFlix - What is the current status of support for things services like NetFlix and Amazon streaming?

8. Audio Volume - I have a set of headphones with a volume control. Does that help with the volume level at all? Is this issue a hardware limitation or might it be firxed in firmware at some point?

9. Screen - My Droid uses Gorilla Glass which avoids scrathes. Does the Thrive use a similar glass and is it resistant to scratches? I've seen pros and cons to needing to use a screen protector.

10. External HDD - Will I still need to reformat my external HDDs to exFAT32 in order to use them? I have a MYBook with external power and a WD with USB power. Will either or both work with the Thrive?

I'm sure I've got, or will have, more, but that's a start. The thing is I know the iPad2 doesn't satisfy all my concerns either, so my decision will depend on the answers to some of the more important ones. Again, thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 10-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Hi,

As the title says I don't yet own a Thrive. However, I am pretty sure I will be purchasing one soon, certainly before Christmas. I looked at the Thrive today at Best Buy. I also looked at the Galaxy, Xoom, and iPad2. I can already say my wife and I both liked the Thrive better than the rest. We felt it was easier to hold than the iPad2 even though it's heavier, the rubberized backing making it feel that way. I will be returning to Best Buy soon to look deeper, but I thought I might get quicker and more accurate answers here. So, the asnwers to the following quesions willl help me make up my mind. I appreciate any responses.

1. Battery life - I've read a number of Thrive reviews and they seem divided on just how long the battery will last. CNet says 5.5 hrs in their test (vs 10 for the iPad2), many others say about 6 hrs and at least one says he gets 11 hrs on a charge. My main uses will be email, browsing, downloading photos from my Olympus dSLR (E-510) and then loading them to my blog, checkbook management along with some spreadsheet maintenance, etc. I don't currently do a lot of You Tube or viewing of TV episodes, but I expect to in the future, including connecting to a TV via HDMI.

2. Spreadsheet - Will I be able to find a spreadsheet app similar to Excel?

3. Browser - Does the browser support https sites so I can access my bank accounts? Does it allow bypassing invalid certificates like IE and Firefox do? I use dodlodging.com a lot and its certificates always give errors when trying to log in. TriCare Online does the same thing.

4. Email - I have a Droid and the email app lets me access my Cox email accounts to download emails and avoid the slow Cox Netmail. Will the Thrive email app do the same?

5. Tether Support - Will I be able to tether the Thrive to my Droid for 3G access? And/Or can it use a Verizon mobile access dongle like my sister uses on her Dell laptop?

6. Printing - Does the Thrive allow me to print webpages, emails, and documents to a wireless printer connected to my home network?

7. NetFlix - What is the current status of support for things services like NetFlix and Amazon streaming?

8. Audio Volume - I have a set of headphones with a volume control. Does that help with the volume level at all? Is this issue a hardware limitation or might it be firxed in firmware at some point?

9. Screen - My Droid uses RhinoGlass which avoids scrathes. Does the Thrive use a similar glass and is it resistant to scratches? I've seen pros and cons to needing to use a screen protector.

10. External HDD - Will I still need to reformat my external HDDs to exFAT32 in order to use them? I have a MYBook with external power and a WD with USB power. Will either or both work with the Thrive?

I'm sure I've got, or will have, more, but that's a start. The thing is I know the iPad2 doesn't satisfy all my concerns either, so my decision will depend on the answers to some of the more important ones. Again, thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Dave
    Welcome to the forum. I will try to answer most of your questions. I am sure someone else will be able to answer the rest.

1. What you have seen on battery life is correct as you have seen it. It really depends on what you are doing. Heavy use you should be able to get at least 5-6 hours on a charge. Lite use and it can go much longer. The one big plus about the Thrive is that it can recharge from a fully dead battery in about 2 hours. Try that on any of the others.
    2. There are apps available (I use Docs2Go), but if you use complex formulas or plugins, you may have an issue.
    3. I can tell you for sure you can access HTTPS sites with no issue. I do not use the stock browser, but use Dolphin Pad and can access my bank account just fine. As for expired certificates, I do not know. Never tried a site, but since you mentioned Tricare, I guess I can try my account and see.
    4. I use the stock Email program to access my ComCast Email, so yes, this is no issue.
    5. Well, if your Droid only supports adhoc, then you will need to root the Thrive to get adhoc support. As for dongles, no there is no support for them. You could get the Verizon HotSpot device and connect via WiFi. The HotSpot device does support infrastructure mode (which is what the Thrive supports).
    6. Printing depends on your printer and the availability of an Android wireless print agent, but there is also commercial apps that will allow you to print to networked printers, so this is also a yes.
    7. NetFlix requires the Thrive to be rooted, so stock it does not have NetFlix support. As for Amazon streaming, I have not tried it, so I do not know.
    8. Audio volume has been an issue for some people and they have found apps to help boost the volume. The volume switch on headphones cannot amplify the sound, so they do not help.
    9. The Thrive does not have Gorilla Glass, but it is quite capable to stand up to scratches. I do use a screen protector, but mainly for fingerprints.
    10. External HDDs work fine formatted to extFat and they must be no larger than 1TB. I use a WD Passport 1TB drive and it works fine. There is NTFS support if you root.

Hope that helps you out. Enjoy the Forum and beleive me, you will enjoy the Thrive when you get it.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Welcome!

Dang, dale beat me to it. What he said :-D

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Welcome ,

point 1 to 10 Love IT or Leave IT

any other Tablet will make U unhappy

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought my Thrive from Newegg, and they bundled a second battery for free. That said, I haven't needed to switch batteries except on a 16hr plane ride...
    The full size USB is particularly handy for external hard drives, however I imagine a converter cable would work on other devices? I'm not sure though, if the mini-usb can be used both directions (ie. as a host port, like the full sized port on the Thrive).
    I've left on the screen protector it came with once I realized the white text just rubbed off, and I've personally been happy with just that. Of course, I'm quite careful not to let anything impact the screen, and I have a double thick soft case on the screen side when I put it in my bag. I don't really know how strong that guerrilla glass stuff is... I'd probably do the same for it.

It's just as Dale said.
    IMO, you definitely need to root the device to get the most out of it.
    ----=zR]|[Gz=----
    Toshiba Thrive 32G rooted Android 3.2 + Lexar 128GB SDXC & Backup Battery
    HTC Magic G2 + 16GB microSD
    IBM Thinkpad 12" X60 1.6GhzCore2Duo 2G DDR2 128GB SSD
    Data Mules: 1TB 3.5" External drive & 500GB 2.5" External

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    The mini USB cannot be used for devices, only to connect to your PC.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    While Corning's Gorilla Glass is used in several products, Toshiba has stated it's using something else. Want more info? Check out the FAQ link in my signature.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I will try to answer most of your questions. I am sure someone else will be able to answer the rest.

1. What you have seen on battery life is correct as you have seen it. It really depends on what you are doing. Heavy use you should be able to get at least 5-6 hours on a charge. Lite use and it can go much longer. The one big plus about the Thrive is that it can recharge from a fully dead battery in about 2 hours. Try that on any of the others.
    2. There are apps available (I use Docs2Go), but if you use complex formulas or plugins, you may have an issue.
    3. I can tell you for sure you can access HTTPS sites with no issue. I do not use the stock browser, but use Dolphin Pad and can access my bank account just fine. As for expired certificates, I do not know. Never tried a site, but since you mentioned Tricare, I guess I can try my account and see.
    4. I use the stock Email program to access my ComCast Email, so yes, this is no issue.
    5. Well, if your Droid only supports adhoc, then you will need to root the Thrive to get adhoc support. As for dongles, no there is no support for them. You could get the Verizon HotSpot device and connect via WiFi. The HotSpot device does support infrastructure mode (which is what the Thrive supports).
    6. Printing depends on your printer and the availability of an Android wireless print agent, but there is also commercial apps that will allow you to print to networked printers, so this is also a yes.
    7. NetFlix requires the Thrive to be rooted, so stock it does not have NetFlix support. As for Amazon streaming, I have not tried it, so I do not know.
    8. Audio volume has been an issue for some people and they have found apps to help boost the volume. The volume switch on headphones cannot amplify the sound, so they do not help.
    9. The Thrive does not have Gorilla Glass, but it is quite capable to stand up to scratches. I do use a screen protector, but mainly for fingerprints.
    10. External HDDs work fine formatted to extFat and they must be no larger than 1TB. I use a WD Passport 1TB drive and it works fine. There is NTFS support if you root.

Hope that helps you out. Enjoy the Forum and beleive me, you will enjoy the Thrive when you get it.
    Thanks for all the answers, exactly what I was looking for. I know it looks like I might be expecting a bit too much, but my goal is to significantly reduce my dependency on our laptops to the point where I can leave them home for our 103 month road trips. I'm actually convinced we can do all we need to do with the Thrive, even if it means converting my data/work habits to new apps, etc. Your comments prompted me to check the Marketplace and I see there are apps to do a lot of what I need, I should have checked before I posted.

1. I use an AC adapter in the van while traveling, so I'm not overly concerned about battery life, just wanted to know more about user experience since reviews are so scattered.
    2. I do not use anything complex, though I do use the Excel feature to reference data in other sheets. I assume that won't work, but that's not a deal-breaker.
    3. I should have testede with my Droid first. Since I can access these site on my Droid, I assume I'll be able to access them on the Thrive.
    4. Good.
    5. I'll have to look into the HotSpot, but we will still have the Droid and we stop at a lot of places with free WiFi, so not a big deal either, just wondering.
    6. I see there are several apps available.
    7 & 8. Also just wondering.
    9. I probably will too, but we are pretty careful.
    10. I think the 32G will work okay to hold my photos while traveling, but it's nice to know my WD Passport drive will work.

Again, thanks for the response, it has really been helpful.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I'm fairly careful with my phone, but I do carry it in my pocket with keys, etc. The gorilla glass has kept it scratch-free.

I forgot about NewEgg, but I'll check them to see what kind of a deal they have.

I haven't rooted my Droid, so I have no experience with rooting. I don't do a lot on it, so I've have no need. I might play with rooting the Thrive though if I find I can't do something natively. The worst that can happen is I'd need to do a factory reset, right?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Thanks, I have no devices that use mini USB to connect. My camera goes from mini USB to full USB to connect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads