• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kirag
  • 1 Post By epakrat75
  • 1 Post By Exile

Thread: Not-so-tech-savvy, But Willing to Learn!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Not-so-tech-savvy, But Willing to Learn!

Hey, everyone. I'm new here (durr) and I just got my thrive two days ago. It's my second tab (I was unhappy with the performance of my first, a Herotab C8) and I've played around with it a little bit, but I'm running into some issues I wasn't expecting. My main issue is the Netflix thing, plus some apps will install but then refuse to run properly (mainly "local" apps from radio stations, businesses, etc.)

I'm here on the forums because I want to be able to turn this into a lean mean machine, but all in all I'd rather NOT root if I can avoid it...

But that's mainly because I'm terrified I'll end up totally screwing up my apps/settings or (at worst) bricking the friggin thing. If I do decide to root it, I'll probably ask a LOT of questions, so I apologize in advance. I also thank you all in advance, because from what I've seen from reading the forums so far you guys are an awesome support community for techno-illiterates, so props for that!
    Last edited by kirag; 10-12-2011 at 02:25 AM.
    702093 likes this.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Welcome!

1) Netflix is impossible without root until the powers that be at NetFlix and Toshiba get their act together. To read / discuss this, go here (and this is not the thread for that): Netflix on thrive?

2) If said apps are made for phones and not (Tablet) Honeycomb apps then that's why they may be failing. Specific detail about each would be helpful.

3) Do read through this section - Toshiba Thrive FAQ and Guides and the other links in my signature.

While I'm not rooted, plently are. It's simpler on the Thrive than other Tablets. My phone is though. For my Thrive, I haven't seen the need yet. Learn more about that here: Toshiba Thrive Development

Start a new thread there if you want to discuss rooting or post to an existing thread (preferred) if you find one similar to your situation / topic.

Take a look at this community poll too: Question for Everyone: Are you rooted?
    Last edited by epakrat75; 10-12-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    702093 likes this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Welcome! What epak said.

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    702093 likes this.
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Glad to have you with us. There is a lot of good info to help you decide if you wish to root or not. Weigh the pros and cons and take it from there.

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So I have decided on rooting, and successfully accomplished it (I think)...now I'm in the process of downloading dalepl's stock rooted ROM, and hopefully will get this whole CWM backup thing to work right...I'm on my 3rd backup attempt now. It either won't mount my SDcard-ext or it keeps getting to the \data image and erring.

Edit: Part of the problem - microSD card adapter "lock" switch engaged...that accounts for the "error mounting" messages...doh!
    Last edited by kirag; 10-14-2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Stupidity on my part...again.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Don't you just hate it when things like that happen?

Remove Ads

Ads