• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well. I tried doing the factory reset, but... It actually seems to have made things worse. Or at least weirder. I managed to get one successful hotswap on the USB right after resetting, but when I tried to swap drives again, it refused to recognize the first drive. When I tried rebooting it got stuck on shut down, forcing me to do a hard shut-off, and after that it still refused to recognize the drive, until I rebooted again with the drive still inserted. After unmounting it this time, it again started showing a phantom of the movie file that was on the drive in the File Manager, but none of the other content.

In addition to that, it sometimes refused to register both the SD card and the USB as being mounted at the same time. I'd have both the SD card and a USB drive inserted, with the SD card mounted but the USB not registering, but when I unmounted the SD card, the USB popped right up... And then the SD card would refuse to re-mount. Unmounting the USB would get the SD card to show up again, but this trick would only work a few times before one or the other would refuse to show up until after a reboot... Reboots which often got stuck during shut-down, requiring a hard shut-off.

After a few rounds of this I tried doing another factory reset, and, well... It's better than the first time, at least, but it's still a bit worse than it was before the first reset. I got a couple of hot-swaps in before it started doing the one-or-the-other thing with the ports again, and the only remotely reliable way to get devices to register is to have them inserted at start-up, but at least it isn't getting stuck during shut-down thus far. It also hasn't repeated the phantom movie file trick yet, although it did try to read image directories from a USB drive that had been disconnected before the last time I had shut down when I tried using the Gallery option in the Wallpaper settings. That cleared itself after a sleep cycle.

It's worth noting that every time I did the factory reset, it reset to the .0032 version, not the one it shipped with. I assume it's using that update's image for the reset, and there's somehow something wrong with th one I have - something that propogates itself in a slightly different way each time I run the reset. Although I can't rule out a hardware issue of some kind. Either way, since this apparently a very rare bug, I'm starting to think that the easiest remedy would be an exchange, although I hate the idea of being stuck on the Archos again while waiting for it to go through. I'll give Toshiba Support a shot first and see what they have to say.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    When you day ”phantom”, you are referring to selecting USB in File Manager and it is showing this device as still attached and lists the file (s) that are on the removed device? What happens when you select a phantom file and try to get info on that file?

The reason I ask, is that Android will cache media file names in several locations of the internal memory and they stay even if the media file gets deleted.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That's pretty much what's happening, yes. Selecting the USB tab in File Manager would bring up the normal access dialog box, despite nothing being connected, and tapping 'yes' would display the files. But it only displayed the movie files. Trying to open any of them would come back with a 'file can not be found' error. Initially it latched onto the files from a USB drive that only had movie files on it, but when the phantom effect popped up again after the first reset it showed only the one movie file from a drive full of mixed media. I haven't observed it happening following the second reset as of yet, despite using the same thumbdrive with the same movie file, but I also haven't tried playing it yet. This only affects the USB, that I've observed; even if there's an SD card in the slot that's refusing to mount, tapping the SD card tab in File Manager will just pop up the 'not inserted' message. At least one of the cards that I've tried was also all movie files, but it's never displayed phantoms of them.

I called Toshiba Support this morning and ran it by them. The guy I talked to seemed pretty much flabbergasted by the problem, and especially by how it got worse after the first reset. His only suggestion was that it might be a hardware problem and to get an exchange out of Newegg, so I guess that's my next step. Hopefully they don't have a bad batch or something.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi everyone I just installed 3.2 (asus rom) and everything works

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads