• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    With WiFi, you are getting A-GPS "assist" letting the GPS know approximately where you are. In theory, GPS Status & Toolbox should pull this file down for your location, store it for future use without needing WiFi.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
    I recently bought my Thrive in US during one of my trips and brought it to Italy where I live.
    Since I set up my Thrive for the Italian language and for Italy as a country, is the GPS automatically set to the Italian servers or to the USA ones anyway?
    Thank you and greetings from Italy.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    It is setup for US sats. You can try the GPS toolbox talked about in the previous post. It may get the server data and allow you to use the GPS with no issue. If that does not work, then you will need to get the GPS config data for your region in the development section.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your answer. Can you tell me something more about this GPS toolbox?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arepo View Post
    It is an app you can get from the market. It has tools for GPS including the ability to manually download AGPS data. It shows the number of sats the device sees along with the strength. How many you are locked on when you get a lock. Compass and many other items. Good add-on to the device.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arepo View Post
    The app is called "GPS Status and Toolbox" and is available free in the Android Market.

A very nice, but often not discussed feature, it the program's ability to download current satellite orbital data good for 4-5 days. This speeds up your ability to get a fix.

The program also allows you to delete the GPS's received and cached data, which cannot be done with a phone restart.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to everybody. I'll follow your suggestions and let you know...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    No offence to those other suggestions, but you only have to leave the Thrive on and in an open area (to see the sky). Set the Thrive's screen time to 30 minutes so it doesn't shut down during the re-calibration process.
    I live on the West coast of the USA and just this week finished a trip to Italy (Rome and Sorrento) and have now returned home. The GPS found the correct locations but it took time. I don't know if it helps but I leave WiFi on since that helps get you 'close' to your actual location for immediate map/google earth searching.
    No, I am not rooted.
    I do have 'GPS Status' app that I run just to make sure the GPS is working...lets you see the fixes as they occur (yea, I am a geek).

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to all. I followed your suggestions, downloaded the GPS tool and updated the AGPS data, and IT WORKED!
    The first time the GPS took a while to lock, but after that it's much faster and stable.
    For EPAGS: hope you enjoyed your visit to Italy!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by epags View Post
    I don't know if it helps but I leave WiFi on since that helps get you 'close' to your actual location for immediate map/google earth searching.
    It can only help if it detects a WiFi network AND it knows the location of that network. If both those conditions don't apply, then probably no help at all.

Remember the fuss when Google was driving around taking street view pictures and collecting WiFi signals (which they're still doing)? A good guess would be that that's the source of the data base that is supposedly helping you. Whether it works on any program that's not Google is an interesting question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads