• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Dusted off old AT100/AT105, running into hardware compatibility issues...

I just pulled out my old AT100/105 for my daughter, as she is coming up on 18 months and she's just absorbing way too much knowledge for me to keep up with. I figure I could dl some crappy balloon-popping app to get her acclimated to using the tablet, then I'd get more educational apps as her proficiency improves. Problem is, I've attempted to dl at least 7 different apps (Sesame Street, PBS, etc) that give me the same error -- after the app has downloaded, of course -- stating that the hardware won't support the app. I ended up having to find an older, and certainly less desirable, app to dl for her to play in the interim.

So I decided to search online for a fix and found an old post on AndroidCentral -- stating that Toshiba abandoned the Thrive tablets pre-2013 so there's not so many current apps that work with them now. I remember when I first starting buying these AT100/105's from CDW. I used to run a company that sold infrared cameras and we would give away these tablets for free as they had different levels of memory (16 or 32GB I believe) which was nice, they were compatible with the third-party software used for processing IR images, generating reports, etc, and they were affordable. Infrared cameras ranged anywhere from $8K - $100K at that time, so the cost of a tablet was a pittance in comparison. I ended up keeping one around in a box and damn thing still works like new, except the Google PlayStore knows it's not new.

Anywho, that brings me to the present. Within the post on AndroidCentral was a comment from 2013 that states: "Go to ThriveForums.org and PM Dalepl. He can roll you back to HC then you can root the Thrive and flash a custom ROM."

Now I didn't want to just show up here and assume this Dalepl person was still around, or assume that he/she has all the time in the world to help a random stranger. However, if I could get any assistance, or if someone has a video walk-through, that would help me bring this thing back to life for my daughter, it would be greatly appreciated.

[Edit:] Toshiba AT105/16GB, Ver. 4.0.4, Build IMM76D.01.000072314 -- Also, I should probably point out that while I am tech-savvy enough to simply search YouTube for "Toshiba AT105 root" and follow the instructions, I wouldn't consider myself savvy enough to do it confidently, and I don't want to ruin a perfectly good device. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BornObsolete; 06-05-2017 at 11:16 AM.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
    Liked
    67 times
    I'm certainly no expert, but seeing as how your THRiVE is already running a version of Ice Cream Sandwich, I'm thinking that rooting and flashing another variation isn't going to bring the OS up to date enough to run the newer apps you speak of. Any idea what version of Android these apps require?

I have the same issue on my THRiVE. I could be entirely wrong, but I'm thinking you would have to upgrade to 5.0 (lollipop) at least, to get those newer apps to work. And I'm pretty sure that Lollipop isn't available or compatible with this hardware.

Hopefully someone else comes along to prove me wrong.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    I'm pretty sure SHADO is right about Lollipop. You could however root and try one of piomasaki's Jellybean ROMs. That is at least one step closer. As far as rooting goes dalenet's easy flash tool is still available and can be found with a little searching of this forum. You do not need to PM anyone to reset the thrive, the Easy Flash Tool will work with your version.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

help with an old thrive too

After many years, I just got my old thrive back from my sister--I had rooted it with I'm guessing (Canadian version) hmj37.03.5.0006 (I from, am in Toronto, Canada), I believe from dj_steve ...I'm just wondering is there no easy app to download that can unroot update it &/or easily update it to a new Rom - It's been so long I've lost any technical prowess I once had, & it's super slow to load and now says the device is incompatible when wanting to install newer apps eg. it won't even install chrome ...any help to clean this tablet up would be gratefully appreciated, thanks

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd like to help you, but I have no idea.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marven001 View Post
    I'd like to help you, but I have no idea.
    Many thanks for that helpful reply! Hopefully many of the other 28,000 plus members here that can't help either (instead of the few that can) will chime in to let us know that too (rolls eyes)!

Remove Ads

Ads