• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By panda

Thread: Upgrading to ICS 4.0.4 and Jelly Bean 4.1 (U.S. Thrives only)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    451 times

Upgrading to ICS 4.0.4 and Jelly Bean 4.1 (U.S. Thrives only)

Maybe your Thrive has Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4, which is known to have stability and speed problems. Maybe you're having trouble upgrading from Android Honeycomb. Or maybe you're wondering if there's something after ICS.

One of our site developers, dalepl, who's not affiliated with Toshiba, took Toshiba's ICS and cleaned it up. Visually, it looks identical. But in addition to greater stability, it turns a lot of preinstalled software from system apps to user apps, allowing you to uninstall them. (The reason I found this forum in the first place was because I tried Kaspersky and couldn't stop it from eating an hour of battery life, and I couldn't remove or disable it without root access.)

The first step is to run the Easy Flash Tool. Note that this will do a factory reset on your Thrive, so save all your personal data before running the tool. The tool will "root" your Thrive, and more importantly for changing Android versions, it unlocks the bootloader.

[Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool

Once you've run the Easy Flash Tool, you can install dalepl's version of ICS:

[ROM] DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

We're sometimes asked about later Android versions for Thrives. Toshiba's last official release was 4.0.4, but one of our other developers, pio_Masaki, was able to put together a few versions of Jelly Bean 4.1, which you can find information on here:

pio_masaki

I've been running Kuroikaze Shinka B25 with great success for over three years. A lot of links seem to be dead, however, so not all are available.

There are no known Android versions beyond Pio's Jelly Bean. Pio didn't adapt 4.2 for the Thrive, and for technical reasons, the Thrive's Tegra2 chipset cannot support Android 4.3 and later. If someone claims to have 4.3 or later for the Thrive, it is not true. There are some sites, especially Blogspot posts, that claim to have the latest Android for older devices. These are always scams, which you can tell by the same three zip files for many different devices (simply impossible). And you can get the download links only after jumping through a lot of ads, so at best, the promise of to generate revenue every time someone's suckered into downloading them. At worst, they might have malware to infect your PC.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I may have it Panda TYVM, You are great as are all the other peeps who contribute to the site. May have questions for ya though lol. You saved my Thrive TY TY TY!!!!!!!!!!!! I will let ya know
    Last edited by mpowell; 09-19-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you're sitting with Toshiba stock ICS 4.04... 83019 European what to do then? In the flash tool that version isn't listed. Saw somewhere that if not listed choose no 3 of the alternatives, i.e which means the aussie version. Is this right?
    Also, have trouble to install the adb drivers to my laptop win 10... When right clicking and choosing install with admin rights I get installation failed.. When left clicking I get "requested action requires evaluation".. I can see At100 and the files on it in pc explorer but how do I know if the drivers are properly installed?
    What I am to do first is to get the clockworkmod installed. And after that flash the dalepl 83019 rom which I already downloaded.
    Would appreciate a simple explanation! Do I need to revert to the HC version to be able to install dalepl... 83019 version?
    Thanks in advance.

Skickat från min AT100 via Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Ads