• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheMeddlingMonk

Thread: Do you really need batteries?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Do you really need batteries?

I understand you need charged batteries when the tablet is not plugged in to the wall but if you were plugged in all the time would you even need battery power? Sorry if this sounds elementary but I'm at the end of my rope with my Thrive.

Also I downloaded Dale's flash thing and got images,tools,readme,recovery.sh,root.sh,and unroot.sh. No idea what to do next. Does my laptop need a cord to connect to the Thrive? Should the tablet be on or off?
    Last edited by bcuk; 07-10-2015 at 10:33 AM.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    If you were plugged in all the time, then theoretically you could run with a battery that is in very poor condition (i.e. doesn't hold charge). I'm not sure of the effect on the charging circuitry, either. As for whether it will work without a battery at all... not sure. Obviously this has a "try at your own risk" warning attached, but theoretically you could try powering it up without a battery (you can do this with most laptops). Once again, not sure what the effect would be or whether this will pose a risk to the tablet (I don't know enough about the internal circuitry to be sure it won't and I don't want you damaging your tablet).

As for Dale's flash tool - are you planning to install ClockWorkMod and root your Thrive? For each of Dale's tools, you will need the ADB drivers installed on your laptop and you will need a USB to mini USB cable to connect the tablet to your laptop (USB at laptop end, mini USB at tablet end). You will need Android Debugging enabled as well.

Start with reading the "Readme" file - Dale usually provides instructions on how to use his tools. If you need more help, please say so and put up a description of what you've tried and what you want to do.

Kind Regards,
    The Meddling Monk.
    mcarver2000 likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I use my thrive without a battery very frequently: I download and listen to mp3s for hours a day at work, and I go battery free! Have for several years now.

Remove Ads

Ads