• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

New Toshiba batteries for my thrive!

Hi all: I have a quick question; where do we buy a good battery which does not cost over $50-$60? I have three batteries which I juice up all the time, but they are only giving me about half an hour worth of usage!I checked on ebay and they are all from China and I call them "patches" as that is what they are and i believe inferior goods. They do not have the toshiba packaging either! Danv taught me to change the battery every three months which I have been doing.....but now it is old like me! Your input would be appreciated on this subject!

Next thought... i'm endeavoring with meddling monk's help to reflash the thrive, is there any way I can print out his instructions rather than go back ad forth to the forum? It would be easier, thanks again!!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    It might be hard to find some in good condition. The Thrive is over four years old, and it's probably been two since anyone manufactured new accessories.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you for your answer!! C

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I'm in the same boat having to cycle through three batteries, each of which don't last very long. I wonder if there is a way to re-energize them to bring them back up to capacity?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    The Thrive uses lithium-ion batteries and I'd recommend against attempting to recondition them unless you know what you're doing and have the right equipment.

One trick you might try is to charge the battery normally, completely "flatten" the battery (i.e. run it down until the tablet will not switch on), then leave it charging for 48 hours. Lithium-ion battery cells are destroyed if they are drained to 0 volts, so the batteries have a circuit built in to disconnect them when the voltage drops to a specific level in order to protect them. The process of charging, discharging and extended recharging can sometimes reset this circuit if it's misbehaving.

If the above doesn't help, then the battery condition itself has deteriorated. Due to the volatile nature of lithium (i.e. it explodes, catches fire, etc.) it is generally unsafe to try to recondition the battery yourself.
    Last edited by TheMeddlingMonk; 06-28-2015 at 04:37 AM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thank you for the advice. I'll try what you said.

Remove Ads

Ads