• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: my thrive is very slow !!!

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'll get a sd card tomorrow! Went to Australia in 1984 and had a wonderful time! Guess we r 17 hours apart! I'll not bother you and I appreciate ur help, in the meantime should I download the titanium app? Good night!

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Hi mueller336,

Good night (for me it's almost lunchtime) - let me know how you go with the SD card. It's probably a good idea to install Titanium Backup before we start modifying things and backup your apps.

Kind Regards,
    The Meddling Monk

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi there...I'm here in new York city and slowly getting ready for bed....lol have a good lunch! I checked already, there is a titanium pro also, is that the one u want me to download? I'll go to Best buy tomorrow am!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I've just had a look at Titanium Backup and have to apologise for an oversight - I didn't realise it required root access. Don't purchase the pro version at the moment - install the Simple Root Checker app and let me know what the results are. I'm assuming you don't have root access, so the only other way I know off the top of my head to backup apps and settings is to use a Google account (there should be an option somewhere in settings - I'll try to find it for tomorrow). You'll still need the SD card, since it's a good idea to try a full backup with ClockWorkMod Recovery (once we have root access) before installing Dalepl's ICS ROM. It also makes it much easier to install ICS ROM, since it can be copied onto the SD card and installed from there.

Does your laptop/desktop PC have an SD card slot? If not and you only have a USB port, I'd suggest looking for an SD card USB reader tomorrow at Best Buy as well.

Goodnight and I'll follow up with this tomorrow.

The Meddling Monk.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi....I downloaded the simple root checker and there is no root downloaded, also it says busyboy is incorrectly downloaded! Back at u tomorrow and yes I have a reader separate from the laptop, less to buy, lol!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Alternatives to Titanium Backup that don't require root:

You can attempt to save apps and data with Helium App Sync & Backup or ADB Backup & Restore (see the following)

[GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root

ADB Backup & Restore - The SuperUser's Guide

Important:* Backups need to saved to a PC or some other external storage.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Many thanks and its so good to hear from you! I'm going to buy a sd card today as I don't have one! Lol I'm going to read what you have just sent me and I'll get back to you....hagd!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Hi mueller336,

It's late evening here, so I won't be able to reply for another 8-10 hours, but if you haven't gone shopping yet, do you have a mini USB to USB cable so you can connect your Thrive to your PC? Also, are you running Windows on your PC and which version (XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1)? I'm guessing you don't have the adb driver installed, so we'll need to do that as well.

I'll have a look through the links mcarver posted tomorrow. Ideally we'll back up your apps/settings, then use Dalepl's root tool to install ClockWorkMod Recovery, do a full backup to the SD card, then reflash and restore your apps. After that, hopefully it's performing a lot better than it is now!

Kind Regards,
    The Meddling Monk

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Dear monk! I just bought 32gb of a sd card! I have a reader, as the laptop does not have an opening for the sd card! Macarver told me to download " helium app sync and backup".....guess I'm ready to go.....but I'm going to backup all of info on the passport I have from western digital so at least I'm prepared for ur instructions .... As I said I've never had a problem before so I've never fiddled with anything.....lol its 12:13 pm so I'll do this later, c

The laptop is running Windows 7! I went to adb and the site is being sold so there was no info there. Macarver told me to read it!!

I have just downloaded all the files from the tablet to the laptop and then put all the files into the passport. I have far too many photos which have to be deleted as there are far too many duplicates.....another job! Later for that though, better you lead me to clean up this tablet.. How long do these batteries last? I have three that are useless, I'm always plugging in to juice them up! Lol, later...c
    Last edited by mueller336; 06-25-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Hi mueller336,

Windows 7 makes it a bit easier for me to advise you, as I haven't tested the adb drivers on Windows 8 yet. It's a good idea to back everything up as you're doing.

Regarding the tablet batteries - when new, they should give you around 4 to 7 hours of operation, depending on what you're doing. I still get 3-4 hours out of mine (even though it's a few years old), but then I regularly charge it and generally don't let it get below 50%. Lithium batteries (which are generally used in tablets and mobile phones) tend to last longer when they're not discharged below 50% and recharged soon after use. If you're not getting much time out of your batteries (i.e. under half an hour), then I'd recommend disposing of them (find a place that recycles batteries) and buying a replacement. You should still be able to find some on eBay if you hunt around.

I think mcarver was just suggesting three different methods for backing up apps and data without needing root access - we only need one of them to work, not all three. At a glance, Helium looks like the easiest solution for you. I'll install it on my tablet shortly and have a tinker with it so I can better advise you on its use.

In the meantime, see if you can install the adb drivers on your laptop:

1. Open this thread - [Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool - this is the tool we'll need later.
    2. Near the bottom of the first post on the page, there should be a download link to the Dalenet Universal Easy Flash Tool v2.8.1 under the "DOWNLOAD" heading. Download this ZIP file (about 80MB) to your laptop.
    3. Extract the zip file (let me know if you need assistance with this step).
    4. Follow the instructions in the first post to install the ADB drivers (the first bit under the heading "INSTRUCTIONS").

Let me know how you go with that.

Kind Regards,
    The Meddling Monk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads