• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screen and Icon

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Screen and Icon

Hi all....Tale of Woe: I bought my wife a Thrive at Best Buy to take with her Back East instead of her Laptop. We thought it would be easier for her to carry around. She wanted the Thrive because of the ports and removable battery. Ah yes, the battery. I got an extra battery for backup so she didn't need to worry about the battery running out on the plane. So as I'm tryint to remove the back of the Thrive, guess what? The screen cracks! Now that's weird I say to myself. No problem I say, I'll just bring it back to Best Buy, explain the situation, and they will gladly replace it. I must have been drinking to much antioxidant liquid and been in a dream state. I go back to Best Buy(Medford, OR) and explain the situation to the store manager in an even tone(of course I was livid), and guess what? He looks at the Thrive and says to me: TOO BAD!!! We don't cover things like that, and you have to sent it to the manufacturer to get it fixed. So of course I say to himmy voice rising of course), What in the hell good are you guys? You don't stand behind what you sell, and you don't fix anything? Of couse I said a lot more, but I would be on this forum forever(hope you all haven't fallen asleep yet)' But I think I left the store manager on a good note. I told him he has seen the last of me, and anybody else I can talk too, into never buying anything at Best Buy ever. What's the point? We all may as well buy any hardware online if we have to senfd it back to a manufacturer to be fixed. Their worthless. OK, enough of my Tale of Woe.
    Questions: (1) Is there a comphrehensive step by step(with pictures hopefully) instruction manual on how to get that damn back of the Thrive removed? (2) My wife would like an icon on the screen to go directly to a home page(Yahoo,Google). We just can't figure out how to do it. As you all can well guess by now, we are not the brightest bulbs in the universe.
    Any and help would be appreciated, And I would be remiss if I didn't say what a great site this is. Kudos to all.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Sorry to hear about your trouble with BB, some retail managers can be great folks and some can just be complete A holes about returns.

I don't have an answer for #1 I've decided if I want to remove the back I'd best find a guitar pick somewhere. There is a locking mechanism for the back along the left side of the Thrive, that does need to be disengaged first.

As for number 2 I can tell you how I know how to do it...

Option 1

Press the + sign in the top right corner
    Tab over to "More" and you should see the option to select Bookmark.
    Tap on Bookmark to send it to the Home screen, and a new window should come up that asks you which of your pre-existing bookmarks you want to have it show as.

Option 2
    Another option also in the + sign under Widgets is to simply add the 3x3 Bookmarks Widget that shows you a moveable list of bookmarks where you can just grab the one you want and go directly two it.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Crazy49er; 08-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Sorry to hear your tale of woe, sfpops...but I think I have a solution to your second question:

Open your browser, and go to the website that you want as your home page. Tap bookmark (Symbol to the far right of the browser address beside the magnifying glass). At the top of the screen you should see "Add bookmark...". Click that and hit ok. You should see your page added to the list of pages that are already bookmark. Longpress on your page; you will see a menu pop up. In this menu, click "Add shortcut to home". You will see the icon on your screen.

Alternatively, you could open your browser, click the setting menue in the top right corner, click settings, and under General click Set homepage. It will ask you if you want your current page as your homepage, or you can type in your homepage address. Obviously, then it will be your home page when you open the browser.

Hope this helps!

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    49er beat me to it...

Ads