• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pio_masaki

Thread: Fastboot going nowhere fast

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Fastboot going nowhere fast

I'm planning on rooting my Aussie Thrive (HTK55D.13.5.0001). "Booting" into fastboot, I get the three icons as expected, use the vol key to select the USB icon, then press the power key . . .

The screen reads

"OS will cold boot in 10 seconds if no input is detected
    Press <Power> to select, VolUP(Left) and VolDN(Right) for selection move
    Starting Fastboot USB download protocol"

but nothing happens (that I can see). Have left it sitting like this for hours and still nothing happening.

My PC is Windows 7. The Thrive in this "Fast"boot scenario is showing up in Device Manager (Thrive Tablet >> Thrive ADB Interface), but not in Windows Explorer.

I can reboot the Thrive from DOS with "fastboot reboot", but it reboots into normal mode.

The Easy Flash tool is not recognising the Thrive in this fastboot holding pattern, so my rooting is going nowhere.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Terry
    Last edited by tjmurph9; 01-18-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spell czech

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmurph9 View Post
    I'm planning on rooting my Aussie Thrive (HTK55D.13.5.0001). "Booting" into fastboot, I get the three icons as expected, use the vol key to select the USB icon, then press the power key . . .

The screen reads

"OS will cold boot in 10 seconds if no input is detected
    Press <Power> to select, VolUP(Left) and VolDN(Right) for selection move
    Starting Fastboot USB download protocol"

but nothing happens (that I can see). Have left it sitting like this for hours and still nothing happening.

My PC is Windows 7. The Thrive in this "Fast"boot scenario is showing up in Device Manager (Thrive Tablet >> Thrive ADB Interface), but not in Windows Explorer.

I can reboot the Thrive from DOS with "fastboot reboot", but it reboots into normal mode.

The Easy Flash tool is not recognising the Thrive in this fastboot holding pattern, so my rooting is going nowhere.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Terry
    That's doing exactly what it should be doing. There's, on the 10" Thrive at least, 4 ways you can "flash" the device. The method you're attempting is an odd one, fastboot is hardly ever used by root tools, the one dalepl released doesn't use fastboot either, at least not done manually the way you are doing it. I think some explaining is going to be needed, otherwise this will get confusing, fast.

Fastboot, the USB icon on the far left, is intended to manipulate images directly on the system, reading, writing, etc. These are command based in a terminal only, there is nothing on the screen aside from the notice that it is in fact in fastboot or usb download mode. The screen will never change from that until its told to reboot or power off. Typical user usage for fastboot will be flashing a recovery or boot image, such as fastboot flash recovery recovery.img then fastboot reboot which you tried, and noticed, it simply exits fastboot mode on the device and reboots normally unless instructed to reboot into recovery or "bootloader" mode, which is the 3 icon stage. The root tool does not use fastboot, and therefore does not care, its not looking for fastboot, as far as it's concerned the tablet isn't hooked up or powered on.

ADB, android debugging bridge, is what the root tool uses. This is available while booted into android if USB debugging is enabled in settings (where in settings changes between HC and ICS but both have this option). While in ADB mode the device allows a PC to play around in the background, get logs (adb logcat), move files to/from the device (adb push and adb pull) and even write to partitions of root access is allowed. This is what the root tool does, it gains a temporary root ability and then writes the unlocked bootloader, rootable boot.img and installs CWM recovery, because it uses ADB, it won't notice your device in any other mode, ADB disabled, fastboot, sleeping, powered off, all of those it will ignore.

Flashing is also done in recovery, and is the safer mode usually used for installing ROMs, other recoveries, kernels, mods, etc. This is done only in the custom recoveries, like ClockworkMod (CWM mentioned before) and TWRP, the stock recovery will only do wipes and flash official files, ignoring or failing to flash anything else. Recovery is also used for upkeep of the device, such as wiping caches or factory resetting the device which removed all settings and apps and their data to help aid in recovering a non booting or poorly running device. This is an option in any recovery for the Thrive, including stock.

Last way is APX mode which is advanced and the tools are not openly available, for this method you'll need to contact DalePL or myself.

But, to resume answering your post, you should know 2 things, first is that you'll want to be booted into android, all the way, for the root tool to continue. If at any point its hanging while "waiting for device", ensure the screen is ON and the device is AWAKE and there are no password/pin/face unlocks or anything else enabled or showing. If its still not going, reboot manually by powering off, then count to 10, then power on, and keep the screen awake by tapping it if it dims.

Second, if you have all 3 icons you're already unlocked, and this means you can run a custom recovery. Booting into recovery (the middle box icon) should show you ClockworkMod, if it doesn't, you're still on stock recovery and fastboot can be used to install recovery if the root tool continues to not work for you.
    danvee likes this.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Remove Ads

Ads