• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Official OTA

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Official OTA

I'm working at a computer repair shop and a client brought in a poorly performing Thrive tablet. It's still on hc, so I would like to update to the newest official version. Unfortunately the service station is insisting hc is the latest version. Does anyone have the stock ota for ics?

Unfortunately rooting is out of the question.

Edit: it seems I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by benwalburn; 01-15-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Hi, benwalburn, and welcome to Thrive Forums

I don't understand why the Service Station is saying that, because I *think* it should have offered to update to the last official version for the Thrive, which was ICS.

Someone will be along to help you with the technical aspects, but I just want to say that if your client is having performance issues on HC, the official ICS that we got for the Thrive proved much worse for many.

Hang in, or check back. Someone will advise you shortly
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Just wanted to add that the rooted stock ICS ROM found here by our developer, dalepl, on the other hand, has been smooth and reliable.
    He does have a fully stock ROM, but IDK offhand if that can be used if the device has never been rooted to begin with

We have another dev, pio masaki, who has put out some JB ROMS as well.

I know you said rooting isn't an option, but just wanted to let you know what's available, in case your client should ever decide to go that route
    benwalburn likes this.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rosalie View Post
    Just wanted to add that the rooted stock ICS ROM found here by our developer, dalepl, on the other hand, has been smooth and reliable.
    He does have a fully stock ROM, but IDK offhand if that can be used if the device has never been rooted to begin with

We have another dev, pio masaki, who has put out some JB ROMS as well.

I know you said rooting isn't an option, but just wanted to let you know what's available, in case your client should ever decide to go that route
    You mean the root route?
    rosalie likes this.
    TOSHIBA Thrive
    Team Baked Black Bean
    Kernel: Balthesaur 2.80

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Edit: it seems I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.
    np- moved to Toshiba Thrive Help

Yes, ibyer, the 'root route'
    benwalburn likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Which exact version of HC does it have?
    If, for example, the device was sold in Europe and brought to the US, the US servers at Toshiba wouldn't 'recognize' the device or have the correct update for it. They would say that it's up to date.
    Please post a screen shot of the settings/about tablet... :thumbup:
    Also note that a 'poorly performing' tablet may well be rejuvenated by a factory reset. Cleans out all of the 'gunk'.
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's running 3.2.1, build number htk55d.31.5.0003
    I want to try ics out of my own personal experience. My thrive tablet does not suffer from these problems (freezing touch screen) and is on ics.

I did a factory reset earlier. Touch screen still not working.

I can't figure out how to take screenshots. Can you with hc?

Using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Clarification please... Now you say that the touchscreen doesn't work.
    Earlier you said it would sometimes freeze. The former is likely hardware, the latter, software.
    Screenshots generally can be taken by holding power and vol- simultaneously.
    You also say that rooting is out of the question... Why?
    You can root and then flash a totally stock, unrooted ROM.
    That may fix the update issue.
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Why is rooting out of the question? Your best best is to use dalepl's tool to root and unlock, not so much for rooting but for unlocking and flashing a custom recovery. Then with the custom recovery you can flash dalepl's cleaned-up version of Toshiba's ICS. You could unroot after that.
    rosalie likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Clarification please... Now you say that the touchscreen doesn't work.
    Earlier you said it would sometimes freeze. The former is likely hardware, the latter, software.
    Screenshots generally can be taken by holding power and vol- simultaneously.
    You also say that rooting is out of the question... Why?
    You can root and then flash a totally stock, unrooted ROM.
    That may fix the update issue.
    Sorry, I meant to say the touch screen does not work constantly. It randomly becomes completely unresponsive but the screen rotates just fine.

I tried the button combo but it didn't do anything but offer to turn off the device with vol down, and turn the volume up with volume up.

My boss is unwilling to take the risk of damaging the device by flashing anything other than the official ota.

Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads