• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: GPS doesn't work after rooting and dalnet stock rooted ROM for ICS 4.0.4

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    You can find his ROMs here. You'll want the one labeled US HC 3.2.1. dalepl‎

I should mention I'm running Pio Masaki's Kuroikaze Shinka B25 ROM.
    darkstreet likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Am I able to use other roms like that as well? you see what I don't understand is what is the criteria for what roms you can install, like does the build number matter once your rooted or what is it I need to match up? And again thank you all for the help here.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Sure, as long as you've installed a custom recovery, and I'm presuming you're in the U.S., you can use most any ROM that's made for the 10" Thrive.
    darkstreet likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yes, Im here In the Philadelphia area and a recent cancer survivor so thought I'd take up something interesting such as rooting and it seems I have the perfect tablet to learn on haha. Im not sure what you mean by custome recovery, I have CWM installed. Maybe to say you all a lot of headaches you could direct me to a site where I could learn more about rooting and the different roms. Im very interested in this subject.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    You're on that very site! :thumbup::thumbup:
    Look through Dalepl's and Pio_masaki's Development areas here on the forum.
    You'll find most questions that you have are already asked and answered.
    CWM IS custom recovery.
    You can flash any of the US based Rooted ROMs for the non-3G/4G Thrive that you'd like.
    The first post in the respective ROM's thread has full instructions.
    Initially I'd suggest Dalepl's Rooted ICS ROM or his OOM Rooted HC ROM, just to get your feet wet.
    When you're feeling more adventurous, Take a look in Pio_masaki's area for his ROMs.
    darkstreet likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thank you all very much, think I'll go read a bit to see what I can learn about his subject than go experiment with a few different roms. I have already installed Dalepl's rooted ICS ROM that's where I got the CWM tool at. Thanks all

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Enjoy the pursuit... :beer:
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    I don't know any tutorials offhand, but this might be a good start. Get 'Root' on your Android device | Android Central

The short story is that "root" allows full file access to everything, down to the "root" (topmost) folder. Android's default file access is only to the sdcard folder, and this is a good security precaution since most people don't need root. Most apps work fine without root, but some like Adblock and Titanium Backup require root for what they do. If you want Android Chrome to look like a desktop, there's a little file to copy into a system folder, which requires root access.

A custom recovery allows you to flash files that can't be installed from within Android. This usually means custom ROMs, but also some files like kernels and dalepl's GPS fix.

The two terms are not the same, though they're sometimes used interchangeably and erroneously. Just being "rooted" doesn't mean you can flash a custom ROM, nor does having a custom recovery installed means that your ROM is rooted. Both do require that the bootloader be unlocked first.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Sorry just finished my dinner, very good information though. I pretty much know what root means but the problems I have is how its applied such as what roms can I flash, does the tablet or phone need to meet certain criteria in order to use various ROMS or how to use CWM. I'm sure I'll pick it up I just need to do some research, after all Im 64 and retired so I have plenty of time on my hands haha. Have a good evening friends.
    rosalie likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads