• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: READ FIRST If your Thrive is stuck at the fireworks screen or Bootloops

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

READ FIRST If your Thrive is stuck at the fireworks screen or Bootloops

If stuck on "fireworks" screen or Bootloop....

1.Take out the two batteries (after turning off), big white and small round blue, leave out for 10 minutes. Replace blue one first, then main white one.
    Turn on.

2. Disassemble and reseat emmc board connector.

Reseating the emmc means disassembly of the Thrive as you see in this :
    Cracking Open the Toshiba Thrive - TechRepublic

Then removing the connector at either end and reseating it, after which you reassemble the Thrive.

3. Boot into recovery and try a factory reset.

Turn off tablet
    Press and hold the "+" on the volume key
    While continuing to hold the "+" volume key, press and hold the power button
    Tablet will start (and let go of both buttons at this time) and will give your 3 Icons.* Using the volume key, select the middle Icon of the box with the arrow coming out of it.* The power button is used as the "enter" key
    On the next screen, arrow down to the wipe data/user info clean and factory default and hit the power button.* PLEASE NOTE, THIS WILL WIPE OUT ALL SETTINGS AND INFORMATION YOU HAD ON THE TABLET.
    On the next screen, select Yes for wiping all info and restore to factory.
    Once this is done, select reboot and you will be brought to the initial set up.

4. Send a PM (private message) to dalepl or pio_masaki and ask for a reflash.

If it's not a hardware issue, this last will 'fix' it.

#3 and #4 will erase all of your content.

Now, the really, really, important part:

***WARNING.... WARNING.... WARNING... WARNING... WARNING! ***

Occasionally, there are posts by people who claim to be able to "reflash" non-functional Thrives.
    For the protection of our forum members, any such messages are deleted immediately. A second post is rewarded with an immediate, permanent ban -- and I urge that no one think to test our Moderators on this.
    Recently, a few individuals have done exactly that and are now on the outside looking in.

The reasons are simple:

First - TRUST. The method used by these would-be reflashers involves full remote access to your PC, with file transfers. Are you willing to turn your computer over to a brand-new forum user who has no reputation, who might infect your computer with a virus or other malware? Even if you think there are no passwords and credit card numbers to steal, malware can easily turn your PC into a "zombie" that attempts to infect other computers across the Internet and on your home network.

Second - Even if the person offering has no malicious intent, the reflash tool is dangerously powerful.
    One mistake can irrevocably "brick" a Thrive, which even Toshiba can't undo without expensive hardware repair.
    Are you willing to trust your Thrive to someone who may have never used the tool before, or has no responsibility for the result?

So, if, after trying the above procedures, your Thrive appears to need reflashing, please post on the forums first.

Maybe someone can help fix it without reflashing. If it turns out a reflash is needed, send a PM to dalepl and pio_masaki - nobody else.
    They are recognized Developers on this forum and are trusted, professional and helpful. They have the knowledge, experience and the proper tools to do it correctly. NOBODY ELSE can make that claim.

You may be contacted via PM by another member offering "help".
    They are not sanctioned by the forum owners or Staff, and DO NOT possess the knowledge, experience, trustworthiness, or, possibly, the proper tools needed, to fix the issue.
    They might, in fact, do more harm than good, and the forum is in no way responsible for any damage done by them.
    You could easily end up with a non-recoverable $400 brick.

If you are approached by ANY OTHER MEMBER offering this service please contact the Moderation Team IMMEDIATELY so we can take appropriate action - and before the damage is done.

Self Help now available.

Go to [TOOL] Reflashing Your AT100/105 Device When It Will Not Boot and follow the instructions EXACTLY.

Note that the forum and staff are in no way responsible for any damage done by using these tools.
    Limited support will be given.
    Tools may be removed at any time if requested by Toshiba.

Use at your own risk.

**NOTE**
    In case you should find yourself in a boot-loop after using dalepl's Univeral Easy Flash Tool to root ICS,
    follow the instructions here: If you get Bootloops after using Dalepl's Universal Easy Flash Tool (ICS ONLY)
    IMPORTANT: Again, this only pertains to bootloops that occur AFTER USING THE UNIVERSAL EASY FLASH TOOL TO ROOT ICS AND ONLY ICS.

The Moderation Team
    Last edited by danvee; 09-06-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Dan,
    Are you now known as the "Masked Super Moderator?"
    You've really become a quick change avatar artist.
    Dennis
    rosalie and JiveTurkee like this.
    Dennis

DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    "In Memory of my wife Donna"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    That's me, Pal.. :thumbup:
    ~Dan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Something new?

Is this something new that is starting to crop up? I got hit with it last Thursday and haven't been able to make any headway on resolving it. I'll try the steps that you outlined above.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    It seems to happen more as the OS and hardware ages. The connections loosen and oxidize, the OS 'decays', etc.
    If you have this occur occasionally, I'd probably go ahead and root the device and flash any of the ROMs here.
    If it's truly stuck, all of the remedies are clearly outlined above, and in the most optimal order.
    ~Dan

LCB
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Twitter
    LaReecb

Thank you

Thank you for the directions and help. I'm afraid #1 did not do the trick. At least it hasn't yet. I'm not sure how long I should wait for it to boot but it has been stuck on the splash screen for at least 10 times longer than normal. I guess I'll have to take the tablet apart which I really don't want to do. I don't have time at the moment and I'll be without my beloved Thrive until I don't have 60+ hour work weeks. Bummer. As a side note, my two sons have enjoyed the Thrives I bought them for Christmas a few years ago now. My youngest son somehow had a screen failure but it came down one week before the 2 year extended warranty I bought for his and it was fixed by Square Trade quickly and painlessly. I wish they would release another tablet like the Thrive, I would buy it.
    Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the post and directions. It gives me some hope that even if I have to move along to taking the thing apart, there is hope to get it going again.
    rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    What a stroke of fortune that you were within your warranty period when the screen failure happened. Square Trade is the best
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Re: Reflashing Thrive back to HC

I saw someone on Android Forums (phandroid) and Android Central (forums) claiming they could do this. I got real suspicious because I didn't recognize them. They just appeared out of the blue with 1 or 2 posts to their credit.

TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM (4.1.2)

LG G Stylo (MetroPCS)•Katana ROM (5.1.1)
    Asus Memopad 8•Stock ROM (Rooted)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    I can tell you for certain that they won't be back at Phandroid any day soon....
    ~Dan

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    445 times
    To put a twist on a great movie phrase, it ain't cool for them being jive turkeys so close to a ban hammer!
    Frequent pilferer of wife's Thrive 10, currently sporting Pio's Kuroikaze Shinka B25.
    Nexus 7 owner and eternal Commodore enthusiast.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads