• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: READ FIRST If your Thrive is stuck at the fireworks screen or Bootloops

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Oddly enough, they're gone from Android Central as well...
    I wonder why that is....
    rosalie and panda like this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

LCB
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Twitter
    LaReecb
    I finally got some time to look at the link and take my Thrive apart. I see a very detailed illustration of how to take everything apart but I don't know what exactly the point is of taking everything apart to reassemble it. If it has no battery in it then what is getting reset when I pull everything apart to make it work again. It may be I'm just over my head. It bums me out that I can't really replace it without spending more than I want to. Any other options out there for a new tablet? I would really like to have the option to use a usbdrive on my tablet. I have movies, instructional videos etc. that I used often with my Thrive.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    The point is that the connections to the emmc (and sometimes the screen) get loose, dislodged, oxidized etc over time.
    The action of disassembling/reassembling allows everything to be reseated and proper contact reinstated.
    Reseating is hardware - Resetting is software. Just removing the batteries doesn't reset it. The actions as described, do.
    There are some reasonable tablets out there, depending on screen size and price (neither of which you'd specifically mentioned) that can utilize, via proper cable and app, USB sticks.
    Last edited by danvee; 02-01-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    ~Dan

LCB
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Twitter
    LaReecb
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    The point is that the connections to the emmc (and sometimes the screen) get loose, dislodged, oxidized etc over time.
    The action of disassembling/reassembling allows everything to be reseated and proper contact reinstated.
    Reseating is hardware - Resetting is software. Just removing the batteries doesn't reset it. The actions as described, do.
    There are some reasonable tablets out there, depending on screen size and price (neither of which you'd specifically mentioned) that can utilize, via proper cable and app, USB sticks.
    At the present time I am looking at the Toshiba Excite. I'd like a 10" tablet with usb stick connectivity and decent resolution. Using an on-line tablet configurator my options boiled down to the Google Nexus, Toshiba Excite and Kindle Fire in that order. Do you have an opinion of these? The Kindle has some appeal since I'm a prime member, but I don't know about the usb connectivity of the Fire for a usb stick.

LCB
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Twitter
    LaReecb
    I am happy to report that I got my Thrive going again. It required a factory reset and for some reason I had a bit of trouble getting my google account to sync. It worked but it said it was a new account and only 4 of my apps were showing in "my apps". I had over 3 years of stuff on my tablet and it'll be some time before I have it set up to my liking again. But I am SO relieved to have it working again. I really didn't want to have to purchase another tablet and there isn't even one available that gives me everything my TT does
    anyway!
    rosalie likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Reboot loop :(

Hi,

Yesterday, after reading the news on my Thrive (AT100), I set it aside, as usual (the screen had timed out). A few hours later I went back to it, only to find it dead. Apparently, the battery had fully discharged, from 100%, over a period of a few hours, with no apps running in foreground, and the screen off. I recharged it for a while and restarted it. It booted to the pattern screen lock. When I entered the correct pattern it began displaying various Sorry!/Force Close prompts for various apps. (superuser, playstore) finally hanging at android.core. After a few minutes it rebooted and the cycle repeated. Sometimes it does as I've described, other times it hangs while entering the pattern on the lock screen. Once in a great while it makes it to the home screen, but begins to throw Sorry! dialogs. The fireworks screen also seems to be taking a very long time.

I've read this thread and have started working the list. Step 1 didn't help. I'm about to try Step 2. If that fails, before I do Step 3, I wanted to check with you because my Thrive is running Dale's HMJ37.01.5.0032 OOM Rooted ROM. I wish I could say what steps I took to install it, but it's been nearly two years. The files on my computer are:
    • DaleNet-Thrive_10-Easy_Flash_Tool-v1.5.zip [dated 4/10/2012 8:13 PM]
    • DaleNet-Thrive-HMJ37.01.5.0032-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.4.zip [dated 4/10/2012 8:22 PM]
    • Marxio-FCV.exe [dated 4/10/2012 8:08 PM]
    • Marxio-FCV.ini [dated 4/10/2012 8:15 PM]

Booting into recovery I see CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4 - TOSHIBA Thrive 10.1

Under backup/restore > restore I see this restore image: 2012-04-11.03.13.18/ so I'm guessing it was the backup I made before flashing the ROM.

Seeing as how I'm not on Toshiba's stock ROM, and assuming Step 2 doesn't work, I'm not sure if I should I do a factory reset as per Step 3 or restore from the 2012-04-11.03.13.18/ image and start over. Thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    If you are running the rooted ROM, a factory reset will use the rooted image. If your backup was prior to the root install, this will reset you to stock. Try the reset first.
    pio_masaki and rosalie like this.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for nothing!

I PM'd dalewhoever about 3 weeks ago asking for help. No response. I decided to follow your useless "cracking open the thrive" link...thanks for nothing! Go ahead and "ban" me...my thrive is now in the garbage. Won't be buying a toshiba again!!! What's the point of having this site if you are not going to respond to help requests?!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnxplor View Post
    Go ahead and "ban" me...
    Request granted.:beer:
    Last edited by danvee; 05-17-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    ~Dan

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    445 times
    I'd just like to add that this is a user-driven site that has no affiliation with Toshiba. When dalepl and Pio help people individually, they do so for free, on their own time. I'm not the only one who's grateful that they're doing it at all when their schedules allow. My Thrive would have otherwise been dismissed as a paperweight long ago.
    rosalie likes this.
    Frequent pilferer of wife's Thrive 10, currently sporting Pio's Kuroikaze Shinka B25.
    Nexus 7 owner and eternal Commodore enthusiast.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads