• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2 years and finally a blank screen on start up

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times

2 years and finally a blank screen on start up

My thrive is not rooted and has the latest op update. Am on vacation in Hawaii and suddenly the sound went to static. Upon restart I get a power light but no screen. Tried removing and replacing the battery (several times) without any success. Plugged it into AC power but do not get any charging light however the power light is still on.

Is there a way to do a factory restart under these conditions? I don't care if I have to lose exiting files.
    Running a stock 16 GB Thrive with ICS and a 32 GB Thrive with ICS. Haven't found courage to hack one or the other.
    I also have (my wife thinks its hers) an Excite 7.7 with ICS @16 gigs and a 32 gig micro sandisk SD card

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Might need to do a teardown and reseat connections to the display and power circuits.... Basically, take it apart and put it all back together again.

Points 95% to hardware issues....

Otherwise, you might be able to use ADB or fastboot commands through command line in Windows, but you don't know if it's even booting up.

[Moved to Thrive Help]
    Last edited by danvee; 08-10-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I discovered that the longer it is powered off, the further it will 'open'. After being of for 6 hours it will open, let me load an app or document then lock up. Does this help isolate the problem?
    Running a stock 16 GB Thrive with ICS and a 32 GB Thrive with ICS. Haven't found courage to hack one or the other.
    I also have (my wife thinks its hers) an Excite 7.7 with ICS @16 gigs and a 32 gig micro sandisk SD card

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Unless you have a failing battery or power supply, or charging circuit, not really.
    If you can try a known good, fully charged battery it might at least eliminate it as a possible cause.
    While it's 'up' you can try the reset.
    ~Dan

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Good Morning danvee: Got back from Hawaii at 1AM this morning and saw your reply. During the flight I was able to do a complele factory restart/default start before it crashed again. I do have a second battery and just put it in and am charging it before attempting to turn the unit on. Will post results later. If no one has checked recently, Toshiba wants $390 to do a major repair....that is just about what I was able to buy the unit for when on sale in 2011.

Will post later.

Ed

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    So you're at least seeing a charging light?
    That's progress right there...
    ~Dan

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    danvee: Here is the current situation:
    All lights operate (power, charging and now the wifi light)
    I was successfull in doing a factory restart.
    Changed battery and gave it a full charge.
    Computer started up in the 'new computer' mode.
    Allowed me to access the internet and recreate my registration process
    Was able to open Play Store and started to load my apps (that were in the cloud)
    Then the system froze.
    It will only restart after some time (~15 minutes or more) before freezing again
    I would suspect there is a component that, when it gets warm, creates a 'open' or fault and freezes the unit.
    Your thoughts?

Ed

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Sounds viable.
    Put it in the fridge for an hour then try again.
    If it goes longer before freezing that's the answer.
    ~Dan

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Well, after refigerating it for an hour, the problem reoccurred. Froze up after it warmed up. Other than using it for parts, any suggestions on how to diagnose the failure point? (all of you 219 watchers are welcome to chip in on this)....I have to either buy another used Thrive or have to defect to a different manufacturer's tablet
    Ed

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    A can of freeze spray might help.
    Otherwise you may get lucky and find it to be nothing but a loose connection.
    Open it up and unplug/replug everything in sight. Pay special attention to the connections to and from the emmc.
    ~Dan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads