• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2 years and finally a blank screen on start up

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Have a PM to Pio and awaiting his opinion. With an operational 16 gb tablet I can wait.
    Bear with me: Opps I re-read your earlier post and thought I read emmc = main mother board; not main memory board. Shame on me. My, those emmc cards are expensive. If Pio or delepl says thats the way to go I guess I will do it.

The San Diego PC Help company had me for $135 with out parts (which they ultimately refunded) without parts. That may be why they didn't continue the repair.

Ed
    Running a stock 16 GB Thrive with ICS and a 32 GB Thrive with ICS. Haven't found courage to hack one or the other.
    I also have (my wife thinks its hers) an Excite 7.7 with ICS @16 gigs and a 32 gig micro sandisk SD card

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Maybe.... I can't imagine the cost of a new board from Toshiba.

I'm thinking that it's a high demand item now. Seems that 2 years is the 'life expectancy' of the OS, and it needs a refresh. I'm betting that a number of people mistake OS decay for a bad chip.

A few months back you could pick up 16G boards for $25 and 32G for $40.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    The emmc reflashing needs are certainly picking up recently, so I'd agree the 2 year mark is about average for the emmc to wear down and need freshened up again, sometimes the repartition and formatting works and levels it out and sometimes it can't and the emmc needs replaced. Sadly flash memory from 2 years ago isn't as robust as newer memory and they are certainly not going to last forever.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Nope, but I'm wondering if Toshiba kinda knew they had a timebomb on their hands...
    My 3+ year old Nook Color is still going strong, though..
    ~Dan

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Nope, but I'm wondering if Toshiba kinda knew they had a timebomb on their hands...
    My 3+ year old Nook Color is still going strong, though..
    Depends who made the memory, iirc 8,16, 32 GB models had 2 manufacturing companies between them, so maybe hynix is lasting longer then Samsung or something. Not sure who made them, just naming random companies. Anyways chances are we'll begin to see a certain capacity maybe having issues more then another, as I'm extremely hard on my emmc modules from then sheer number of wipes and flashes I do I can't really say, but I burned out an 8GB and a 16gb board.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    I'm pretty sure that every one I've seen was stamped SanDisk, but, you never know...
    ~Dan

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    It makes me wonder about the possibility of giving our Thrive 16 to someone later this year. Do I replace the eMMC with one that might not be in any better shape, or include another just in case (and hope someone local can replace it)? Then again, the possible recipient is only my mother-in-law.

Seriously, though, we've had it for a couple of years, and it gets moderate use. I don't want to give her a tablet whose flash memory is wearing out. Maybe a reflash before we pop it in the mail?
    Last edited by panda; 01-20-2014 at 09:59 PM.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    IDK. It may be a matter of time, or a number of writes.
    It can also be OS decay, which is fixed by a refresh.
    As I'd said, the emmc prices have almost quadrupled in the last 6 months....
    ~Dan

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Flash memory is finite, of course, and I'm not sure of the lifespan of memory made a few years ago. We might just give it anyway, hoping it'll last a while doing Skype and web browsing.

I spent New Year's Eve doing a clean flash of B25. Things had gotten pretty sluggish, which I attribute to trying a lot of Amazon's daily free apps. Clearing Dalvik didn't help, but a clean flash did wonders.
    billpenny78 likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I know this tread has been dormant for over 1-1/2 years but I have some good news. Due to some unexpected life events I tossed the old thrive onto a "someday" pile. This week I had some spare time and discovered this link Clean Installation of Image

I ran the program and it totally restored the OS for the old thrive. I am posting on it now.

Thanks to pio and danvee for offering to help and answering so many questions.

Great forum.....I'm back!
    mcarver2000 likes this.
    Running a stock 16 GB Thrive with ICS and a 32 GB Thrive with ICS. Haven't found courage to hack one or the other.
    I also have (my wife thinks its hers) an Excite 7.7 with ICS @16 gigs and a 32 gig micro sandisk SD card

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads