• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2 years and finally a blank screen on start up

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Dan: You said: you may get lucky and find it to be nothing but a loose connection.
    Open it up and unplug/replug everything in sight. Pay special attention to the connections to and from the emmc.

Can you guide me to a link that tells how to open up the system (safely) to look for connections? And what is an "emmc"?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
    Running a stock 16 GB Thrive with ICS and a 32 GB Thrive with ICS. Haven't found courage to hack one or the other.
    I also have (my wife thinks its hers) an Excite 7.7 with ICS @16 gigs and a 32 gig micro sandisk SD card

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Google 'cracking open the Toshiba Thrive'. Don't have the link handy.
    It has a photo essay of the layers of deconstruction.
    Emmc=main memory board.
    It's pointed out in the above.
    So far as 'safely', I'd want an anti static strap and a set of small screwdrivers along with really good lighting and a place to put the tiny screws so as not to lose them.
    Good news is that you really have little to lose and much to learn.
    Latest info from Toshiba is that a diagnostic like this, plus board replacement would cost about $230.
    Refurbed 16G Thrives are around for <$200 and will come with at least a 30 day warranty.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    danvee: thanks...I will follow up with the google search and try my hand at it. I also posted on this board about 'San Diego PC Help' who claims to do repairs on the Thrive.
    Being inpatient I went onto the local craigslist and found a Thriver who was selling several of his units. Bought a 16gb Thrive with the box & cords and a leather stand-up case for $200.
    Thank heavens I had Google & Dropbox back me up to the cloud.....most of my data was saved. The rest is on my pc and just will take some time to download.
    Now I can play with the broken unit and/or send it in for repairs.

Thanks again
    Ed
    Running a stock 16 GB Thrive with ICS and a 32 GB Thrive with ICS. Haven't found courage to hack one or the other.
    I also have (my wife thinks its hers) an Excite 7.7 with ICS @16 gigs and a 32 gig micro sandisk SD card

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Or.... Swap out the emmcs. That contains everything that makes it 'yours'.
    Shouldn't need to do anything else. Like a heart and brain transplant in one tiny board.

Should have waited, though, as I said in the other thread, for less than you paid for that you could have gotten a factory refurbished with at least a 30 day warranty, if not longer.

Either way, glad you have a working Thrive.... :thumbup:
    ~Dan

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Hello again: You may not believe this but I had sent the unit to San Diego PC Help and after 4 months of 'fix' and warranty returns they were not able to fix it. They were good about it and are refunding my entire repair fee. I have been following the threads about re-flashing the system and/or replacing the emmc board. I am just giving you an update and am planning to contact pio_masaki or Delepl to see if they are willing to help with re-flashing or replacing the board. Because the system will load and run then after some time 5 to 20 minutes, lock up, I suspect it may be mechanical rather than firmware.

Again...thanks for all you do on this forum.

Epags

Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Or.... Swap out the emmcs. That contains everything that makes it 'yours'.
    Shouldn't need to do anything else. Like a heart and brain transplant in one tiny board.

Should have waited, though, as I said in the other thread, for less than you paid for that you could have gotten a factory refurbished with at least a 30 day warranty, if not longer.

Either way, glad you have a working Thrive.... :thumbup:
    rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    You can do the board on less than 20 minutes yourself.
    Even after that, you'd want to contact them about a reflash.
    ~Dan

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    danvee: I am just getting my courage up to attempt to replace the main memory board. On ebay I find there are two types: 08N1-0ML6J00 and 08N1-0ML6Q00. Any differnce between the two? Does the fact my sick tablet has 32 gb internal has any bearing on the one I buy? Is a price of about $75 sound reasonable for a 'new-in-box' main memory board? At least that is what I have seen so far on ebay.

Stick with me as I attempt this.

Ed

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Links please?
    ~Dan

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Nope. Neither, unless you feel a need to replace the motherboard.

You need an emmc, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Thri...item565d598939
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Thri...item27dd50581f

I only find the 2, one 16G, one 32G.

Pio or dalepl verified that yours was bad?
    ~Dan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads