• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Reading library e-books with aldiko

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Reading library e-books with aldiko

My local library has e-books available to download via overdrive. In the past, after downloading epub books, I would import them into aldiko to read. However, recently when I tried to do that, the file would not load. Tried re-downloading, but that made no difference. I was able to read the book with overdrive, but I don't like the user interface as well.

Any ideas why this is happening or what I can do about it?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Is Aldiko registered as an Adobe Digital device?
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    I believe Mantano Reader works with Overdrive. I didn't care for Aldiko's interface but have been using Mantano for a long time. I've yet to try Overdrive though.
    Check out my custom ROM: Favum ICS Version 2.0
    If you're feeling generous, I'm taking
    donations.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Yes, it is registered.

The weird thing is, sometimes it works fine, and other times not.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Did you try clearing cache for both Aldiko and Overdrive?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Did you try clearing cache for both Aldiko and Overdrive?
    Tried that - didn't help.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Did you contact the author of Aldiko?
    May be something that they need to address.
    ~Dan

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I've finally gotten it to work. Thought I would explain what I tried to help others.

Went to the aldiko support page and read directions for reading library books. I have copied them after this explanation. Basically, by switching to method 2, it worked like a charm.

Previously, I had downloaded the ebooks using overdrive, the default for our library system. Then I had imported either the ascm file, as listed in method 1 below, or the epub file downloaded by overdrive into aldiko to read. Recently, that method stopped working for adobe epub files. It still works for open epub books I'm not sure if the problem was due to an update to aldiko or android.

I tried clearing the cache, deauthorizing and then reauthorizing my adobe drm account and finally uninstalling and reinstalling aldiko. Nothing helped until I used method 2 instead of method 1.

Method 1: (1) Go to your local public libraryís website on your computer, select any eBook in Adobe ePub or Adobe PDF format, check out and then download the eBooks files. Normally, libraries will offer you an acsm file for each eBook.
    (2) Put the acsm file in the SD card of your device.
    (3) Download and install a file manager app called "ASTRO" from the Android market. Use the file manager app to locate the acsm file.
    (4) Tap on the acsm file in the file manager app. If you have verified your device with an Adobe ID already, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko. If you havenít verified your device with an Adobe ID before before, you should see a pop-up window which asks you to authorize your device with an Adobe ID. After authorization, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko.

Method 2: 1. Open the Aldiko Book Reader, you should see the dashboard of the application, select the "Store" icon.
    2. You should now be at the store section of the Aldiko Book Reader. Tab on the menu key or overflow menu of your device (For overlay meny, it should be located at the top right corner of the store section, the icon looks like a 3 vertical dots). After that, select "My Catalogs".

3. When you are at the "My Catalogs" page, select the "+" icon, which is located close to the top right corner. After that, type in Title (e.g. your local public library's name), the URL of your library, select "OK".

4. Now you have the library catalog set up in the Aldiko Book Reader. From now on, you just need to tab on the library name in the My Catalogs page, you will then be linked to the library website where you can borrow and download books . After download, the books should be displayed in the library of the Aldiko Book Reader.

rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Well done! Thanks for the effort and the writeup.:thumbup:
    ~Dan

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    I agree. Excellent step by step tutorial...thank you!
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads