• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Icecream sandwich update bricked my tablet. No help from Toshiba!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry Icecream sandwich update bricked my tablet. No help from Toshiba!

After the update my tablet iis useless. Browser crashes, tablet crashes, typing is almost impossible, Mobile data stick option is no longer there. Called Toshiba and because my Thrive is only 7 months old it was a refurb. and out of warranty. Toshiba wants to charge me to send it in so they can put honeycomb back on it so I can use the tablet again. Using my iPad to post this because I can not do it from my Thrive. My tablet worked fine before toshiba issued this update saying it was for the Thrive. I have read hundreds of posts online of people having the same problem. Toshiba should make this right whether the tablet is in or out of warranty. It is not a warranty issue. It is caused by Toshiba's mistake. This will be my last Toshiba product. And will tell anyone who will listen what Toshiba is doing to Thousands of us.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    If it is still booting up and running ICS then bricked will be a wrong term. You can always go back to honeycomb and root the tablet. PM Dalepl he can help you with that.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It does boot up but you can not do anything with it so to me it is a 350 dollar brick. Thanks for the reply. I will try to contact Dalepl. It is awful that Toshiba will not fix this problem.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    You may want to consider a factory reset. Just know that you will lose apps (apps should be reinstalled manually) and data. Your contacts (if saved to Google/Gmail) should restore but everything else will be gone.

I don't know if you will be able to backup your stuff from what you are saying, it freezes up/crashes before you can do anything?
    Last edited by JiveTurkee; 09-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.

TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM (4.1.2)

Samsung Galaxy S8+• Oreo Beta ROM (8.0)
    LG V20
    •Stock ROM (7.0 Nougat)
    ZTE Trek2 HD•Stock ROM (6.0 Marshmallow)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0ork View Post
    After the update my tablet iis useless. Browser crashes, tablet crashes, typing is almost impossible, Mobile data stick option is no longer there. Called Toshiba and because my Thrive is only 7 months old it was a refurb. and out of warranty. Toshiba wants to charge me to send it in so they can put honeycomb back on it so I can use the tablet again. Using my iPad to post this because I can not do it from my Thrive. My tablet worked fine before toshiba issued this update saying it was for the Thrive. I have read hundreds of posts online of people having the same problem. Toshiba should make this right whether the tablet is in or out of warranty. It is not a warranty issue. It is caused by Toshiba's mistake. This will be my last Toshiba product. And will tell anyone who will listen what Toshiba is doing to Thousands of us.
    See here: Some randon thoughts about updating
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, (KitKat 4.4.2)
    LG Spectrum 2 (JB 4.1.2), Inactivated
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Gifted (JB 4.1.2, rooted)
    THRiVE 10.1, Gifted (IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4))

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That is another nasty trick Toshiba has played on us. A factory reset will not restore honeycomb. That is coming from a Toshiba tech. Thanks for trying to help but, no I cannot keep the tablet from crashing long enough to do anything. Started out just with browser crashes and slow but got continually worse till it is just useless.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    It does boot up but you can not do anything with it so to me it is a 350 dollar brick. Thanks for the reply. I will try to contact Dalepl. It is awful that Toshiba will not fix this problem.
    Did you post your dissatisfaction on their own message board?
    Did you email their customer service?
    Talking on the phone to a tech will do little to let Toshiba know that you're unhappy, but the other 2 methods, especially the public forum, will get more eyes on the issue. Public pressure got the update to begin with, so it might take the same to get a remedy.
    Remember, we're in no way affiliated with Toshiba, and it's highly doubtful if anyone from there reads this forum.
    We can try to help, but to get real action, you need to go to the source.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    That is another nasty trick Toshiba has played on us. A factory reset will not restore honeycomb. That is coming from a Toshiba tech. Thanks for trying to help but, no I cannot keep the tablet from crashing long enough to do anything. Started out just with browser crashes and slow but got continually worse till it is just useless.
    Who said a factory reset would "restore honeycomb"?

TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM (4.1.2)

Samsung Galaxy S8+• Oreo Beta ROM (8.0)
    LG V20
    •Stock ROM (7.0 Nougat)
    ZTE Trek2 HD•Stock ROM (6.0 Marshmallow)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Factory resets on any device does not resore a previous ROM load. When you apply a new ROM, it replaces the complete ROM on the system. There is no saved previous ROM. When you do the reset, all it does is delete the Data partition so all user and saved data is wiped. It still uses the base ROM of the currently loaded ROM.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having the exact same problem and feel the same way. I have already PM dalepl. waiting for response, but if anybody has some solution to this matter please inform me!!!!!!!

thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads