• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Can't copy movies (*.avi) to Sandisk 64GB SDXC using USB PC connection

Last night, I was able to copy about 4 movies to the card using the USB PC connection. This morning, I tried to add a few more movies. They get stuck after the first few seconds of copying and I get a time out error. I deleted all the movies and decided to start from scratch.

I had similar problems the other day with a different card, but that was resolved by using a brand new Sony 8GB sd card:
    Error transferring files between PC and Thrive via usb

A
    nyway, I don't understand why it is so difficult/inconsistent to try to copy files to the Thrive. This is too much hassle. My first disappointment.

I will add that I tried out my Sony 17-in-1 reader and it is able to copy these movies over without any problem. And while this is a solution, I still want to know why the thrive is not working as expected.

This post (and thread) seems of interest:
    Movies & Music on new 64GB SDXC

I have windows 7. When I check the windows format tool, I only have the exfat and ntfs options for formatting.

Should I try reformatting and if so, how? exFAT? FAT32? Using this tool?
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
    https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc/

I am so lost because I am seeing conflicting information in different threads. Some are using exfat. Others are using FAT32.

Edit: I tried putting the 8GB card back in and it works great. No problems copying movies. Interestingly, only the sd disk folder popped up when I plugged the thrive back into the PC with the Sony 8GB card. With the Sandisk card, the whole Thrive directory pops up under disk storage when I plug the usb cable into the PC
    Last edited by pwdbythrive; 06-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you use FAT32 your file size limit will be 4 gig per file

Sent From my Thrive with that Tap thingy :-)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by puredigital View Post
    If you use FAT32 your file size limit will be 4 gig per file

Sent From my Thrive with that Tap thingy :-)
    I guess I definitely want to keep my options open and not limit the file size. So it seems like my only option is to try to reformat in exFAT? is that correct? Should I use the Sandisk format tool that I linked to above while the card is in the card reader?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Its interesting that my 8GB Sony card is formatted as FAT32. I have a spare 8GB card that I might format as exFAT to see if it has problems or not. I wonder if the Thrive has a problem with large files on exFAT.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pwdbythrive View Post
    Its interesting that my 8GB Sony card is formatted as FAT32. I have a spare 8GB card that I might format as exFAT to see if it has problems or not. I wonder if the Thrive has a problem with large files on exFAT.
    Cards up to 32Gb usually come formatted as FAT32. If it were me, I'd leave an 8Gb card as FAT32. It's highly unlikely you'll use it if you run into files over 4Gb anyway. If you start using files that large (usually ripped BR movies), you'll likely spring for a larger card. I have 2Gb, 16Gb, and 32Gb cards all formatted as FAT32 and my 64Gb is also FAT32 at the moment. If I get into ripping BR movies, I'll likely use my 120Gb USB HDD that is exFAT.

Note: No reason not to try exFAT though to try to solve your USB problem. Mind you, I don't think that's the problem, but I'd certainly test it to make sure.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 06-07-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Cards up to 32Gb usually come formatted as FAT32. If it were me, I'd leave an 8Gb card as FAT32.
    The plan was to format it back to FAT32 after the test.

Remove Ads

Ads