• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Manufactured Thrive with not working original OS, are you afected? Lets make a bunchf

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Manufactured Thrive with not working original OS, are you afected? Lets make a bunchf

Now we know we are not alone, several of us bought a thrive that came with the manuf refurb ticket, looking like new. But with a defective software or ROM. Mine dont have Srvice station (can not update), multimedia (can not use) and not even the google mkt app, so can not download apps. Its worthless.
    If you are also a victim on this ordeal, pls lets get together and make a punch.
    Max

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Looks like I need to stick with brand new when I get mine. Thanks for the warning.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cipresal View Post
    Now we know we are not alone, several of us bought a thrive that came with the manuf refurb ticket, looking like new. But with a defective software or ROM. Mine dont have Srvice station (can not update), multimedia (can not use) and not even the google mkt app, so can not download apps. Its worthless.
    If you are also a victim on this ordeal, pls lets get together and make a punch.
    Max
    cipresal,
    I purchased my refurb Thrive from a reliable e-bay site and had dalepl(Paul) help me root mine.
    So far I have had zero problems or complaints with my tablet and even upgrade to dale's new rom.
    If you have a problem please list your system in detail, exact problem your are having and when Paul get better(just had surgery) he or others will chime in and help you out.
    Dennis
    cipresal likes this.
    Dennis

DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    "In Memory of my wife Donna"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Dennis, he has the infamous Engineering Build. There's nothing that Paul can do. It has to go back to the seller or Toshiba for repair/reflash, exchange or refund.
    Sucks, but a few members did get these from WOOT! and 1SaleADay. Hence the 30 day guarantee....
    cipresal likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Dennis, he has the infamous Engineering Build. There's nothing that Paul can do. It has to go back to the seller or Toshiba for repair/reflash, exchange or refund.
    Sucks, but a few members did get these from WOOT! and 1SaleADay. Hence the 30 day guarantee....
    dan,
    Seems to me this problem with woot and 1saleaday sending out Thrives with Engineer build in them is a quality control issue.
    Someone needs to contact them and bring it to their attention or no more sales from either of them.
    Dennis
    Dennis

DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    "In Memory of my wife Donna"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    I think the real issue is with Toshiba's service contractor. They're sending out refurbs with the test build instead of flashing a proper ROM. The sellers are aware, as they're on the hook to replace or refund the item. I honestly can't see a seller checking every device (if they even knew how) for a proper ROM. For example, WOOT! sold over 5K units in one go-round and we had heard of 2 units with the problem.
    They're depending on Toshiba (or whomever they've contracted with to do service/refurbs) to provide a working product.
    It seems a very small percentage slip through QC (we only really hear about the ones with problems).

Toshiba needs to be made aware, but, ultimately, the seller has to make good on it (and, from what I've seen, does). I've been buying refurbs for many years, and have only had 1 problem, which was rectified by the seller.
    If the seller fails to make good, then, by all means, I'd want to know about it, and would be more than happy to spread the word.
    Last edited by danvee; 05-05-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    ~Dan

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    This is why I never buy refurbished anything. And for what they are priced at I don't see a deal.
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    At this point, with all of the "fire sale" pricing, you're right on. However, before that, there was a good 20% plus savings.
    Refurbs are great, if you realize the potential pitfalls and deal with reputable sources (and have the resourses to correct any minor problems).
    As I said, having made dozens of refurb purchases over the years (saving 30-40% off new) I only had one very easily rectified issue.
    Otherwise, I'd advise spending the extra $ and getting a brand new item-preferably from a local dealer who will then provide good, on-the-spot service.
    ~Dan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I got mine as a refurb through 1saleaday and it is working well for me. I personally buy refurbs almost exclusively to save the money. I am a little tech saavy, so any issues I've encountered I have been able to work through with the help of forums like this one. If you are not tech saavy, or don't like fixing small issues, I would suggest always spending the extra money to get new.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Tapatalk2.
    JiveTurkee and darkron9 like this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwst View Post
    I got mine as a refurb through 1saleaday and it is working well for me. I personally buy refurbs almost exclusively to save the money. I am a little tech saavy, so any issues I've encountered I have been able to work through with the help of forums like this one. If you are not tech saavy, or don't like fixing small issues, I would suggest always spending the extra money to get new.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Tapatalk2.
    Agreed. Refurbs aren't all bad. I have been buying used or refurbished items since the recession began and I've had great success. It's a matter of doing your homework and like cdwst said, if you are a little tech savvy, then a refurb won't be as scary.

TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM (4.1.2)

Samsung Galaxy S8+• Oreo Beta ROM (8.0)
    LG V20
    •Stock ROM (7.0 Nougat)
    ZTE Trek2 HD•Stock ROM (6.0 Marshmallow)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads