• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

wpa_supplicant help!

Does anybody know if there is a wpa_supplicant file yet that you can use to flash to the Thrive so it can recognize Ad-Hoc networks? Does that require Root access? I found some files I tried to flash but it gave me error messages, so I assume you need Root Access to flash them? If so, is it possible to get Root Access yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    928 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    Yes, it would require root. No root method has been release for the Thrive yet. Check out this thread http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/to...c-network.html

Moving to Toshiba Thrive help

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the information. That was very helpful. That thread you sent me won't help me in my case. It looks like my only solution then for my problem is to get another phone. I have the original Motorola Droid A855 phone. I rooted it so I could turn it into a Wireless Hot Spot. It's only broadcasting in Ad-Hoc mode which my Thrive can't see. Since there is no Root yet and no wpa_supplicant file then I guess there is no way for my Thrive to see the Ad-Hoc networks. My friend has a HTC Droid Incredible and it's broadcasting in Infrustructure mode, and my Thrive can see it. So, I guess it's a hardware issue with the older phones that they can only broadcast in Ad-Hoc? So, if I want a solution right away I guess I must have to buy a newer phone? Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by batfish View Post
    Yes, it would require root. No root method has been release for the Thrive yet. Check out this thread http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/to...c-network.html

Moving to Toshiba Thrive help

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm in the exact same situation. I have the original Droid A855 rooted with Simply Stunning ROM. It only transmits in adhoc mode. Hoping someone roots the Thrive so we can get Honeycomb to operate in adhoc mode. I'm due for a new phone anyway. Good thing I noticed this now. I'm probably waiting for the Bionic on August 4th. Hopefully it will support infrastructure mode for wifi tether. I have a feeling Verizon is gonna block free tethering if they haven't already done so. I'm not a fan of their new tiered data plans.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, I'm due for a new phone too and I wanted the Bionic. How do you know it will be out on the 4th? I really needed a solution by Monday July 25th because I'm going to start traveling. I guess there is no way to tether via USB cable? Someone said you could, but I can't find a way to do it. The only temporary solution I have found so far is PdaNet for Tablet. It's in Beta so it's free right now. It uses blutooth and only support apps that go through proxy, so it's really slow and it only supports the following apps: browser, map, gmail. Other apps do not go through proxy. So, most of the apps I want to use I can't. I can basically go to websites and check my email and that's it with this app, but I guess it's better then nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by unlstorm View Post
    I'm in the exact same situation. I have the original Droid A855 rooted with Simply Stunning ROM. It only transmits in adhoc mode. Hoping someone roots the Thrive so we can get Honeycomb to operate in adhoc mode. I'm due for a new phone anyway. Good thing I noticed this now. I'm probably waiting for the Bionic on August 4th. Hopefully it will support infrastructure mode for wifi tether. I have a feeling Verizon is gonna block free tethering if they haven't already done so. I'm not a fan of their new tiered data plans.

Remove Ads

Ads