• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How to Get 1080p HDMI Output?

Hi all, I'm trying to get the full HD 1080p output via HDMI to my TV, but can only get 720p. This while playing 1080p Youtube videos. I've looked but can't find any relevant setting to possibly adjust.

One other small issue I'm having, is the power indicator doesn't usually blink when the unit goes to Sleep mode - stays on steadily. Anyone else seeing this?

Any help much appreciated.

2. Ads

LCB
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Twitter
    LaReecb
    This may have to do with the fact that the Thrive only does 720 AFAIK.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Except all the descriptions I've seen say "up to 1080p video output" or similar.

Is anyone getting 1080p output from the HDMI port?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Nobody with any comments? Nonody using HDMI?

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    It only does 720p.
    Samsung Fascinate (4.0 ICS AOKP) (Retired)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (32gb White) (Rooted and CW Recovery Installed)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I too remember everything saying 1080p output on the hdmi port prior to release...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Browsing around the Web, this 1080p HDMI output question seems to come up with all the Tegra 2 platforms showing up this year. I noticed the Tegra 2 has two display controllers that can operate simultaneously, and 1920 x 1080 is listed as one of the resolutions supported (but I haven't been able to find out whether this is interlaced (i) or progressive (p), so that may be one issue).

But the other issue (probably the one to follow) is one of horsepower needed to decode and scale. Of course we know the Tegra 2 can decode 1080 material and scale it for the built in LCD display. And we know it can use both display controllers simultaneously to feed two displays, including one running at 1920 x 1080 resolution (per the Tegra data sheets).

But someone on Acer forums has reported seeing up-converted 720p data appearing on HDMI at 1080 resolution, even while playing HD content. And the bottom 80 or so scan lines seem to get dumped when mirroring the internal display. For playback, I'm starting to think that the Tegra platform is internally decoding HD content to some resolution lower than 1080, scaling for the internal LCD display, and then just up-converting for the HDMI output (at 1080 digital format).

Maybe the Tegra 2 platform is against the wall in this regard, or maybe it's necessary to kill the internal LCD display during times when true 1080p HDMI output is desired? If that's so, does there need to be an App written (or change in Honeycomb) to permit this to happen?

Maybe Toshiba is just being honest and specifying what the true resolution of HDMI output really is, regardless of format (1080i, 1080p, or whatever), or maybe they limited to 720p digital format because, if that's what's really going on inside, why not let the TV monitor do the up-conversion?

Regardless of image resolution, are any of the 10" tablets actually putting out 1080p digital format?
    Last edited by fahrtleiter; 07-23-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley,Northwest California(97....)/Pocatello, ID(90-97)/Covina,SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    ilvla2
    The Media Dock says it will output 1080p.
    Device:Toshiba Thrive Tablet w/32 GB SDHC (Rooted, Stock 3.1 Honeycomb ROM V.0032)
    Happy 40th Anniversary Amtrak, 1971-2011, and here's to many more!(1971 was the year they assumed ops of most intercity passenger trains)
    Freight Railroads, keeping America moving and productive since 1826!
    Amtrak, keeping American's movin' and groovin' since 1971!
    Go Idaho State University! Proud Alumni here

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalRailRoader View Post
    The Media Dock says it will output 1080p.
    Ever get the feeling that all Honeycomb customers right now are early adopters, whether we meant to be or not? And so are the manufacturers of the tablets in many ways...

Exciting times!
    Last edited by fahrtleiter; 07-23-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley,Northwest California(97....)/Pocatello, ID(90-97)/Covina,SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    ilvla2
    Quote Originally Posted by fahrtleiter View Post
    Ever get the feeling that all Honeycomb customers right now are early adopters, whether we meant to be or not? And so are the manufacturers of the tablets in many ways...

Exciting times!
    Lol I think you're right! Ice Cream Sandwich will be coming out soon, then we'll just have one Android OS Version to deal with.
    Device:Toshiba Thrive Tablet w/32 GB SDHC (Rooted, Stock 3.1 Honeycomb ROM V.0032)
    Happy 40th Anniversary Amtrak, 1971-2011, and here's to many more!(1971 was the year they assumed ops of most intercity passenger trains)
    Freight Railroads, keeping America moving and productive since 1826!
    Amtrak, keeping American's movin' and groovin' since 1971!
    Go Idaho State University! Proud Alumni here

Ads