• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

8-16-32GB does it make a difference

I'm considering a Thrive and I want to get the current 10.1" generation while its new since the next generation doesn't have the full-size HDMI, replaceable battery, USB host features which make it so compelling.
    Does it make a difference about the base memory? With the difference int the price I could get a decent sized sd card to make up the difference.

TIA

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    Go for the card. The 10.1" Thrive is limited to a 3 gig app/data partition. That extra memory is essentially a very expensive SD card alternative. I've got an 8gig with a 32 gig SD card and it works great. The only problem is if you're a heavy gamer and install a bunch of games that require a lot of data.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1969 times
    First, WELCOME to the group- you've found the best possible place to get help and info on the TT.
    I hope that it influences you toward purchasing one.
    So far as app space is concerned, all 3 sizes have the same limit of 3G out of the available memory. If it's any indicator, I've got 412 apps on my 8G and still have about 1G space remaining.
    The rest of the space is for the ROM and for app data and media.
    Media expansion is simple through SD card use, as is data for those apps that can utilize it.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It's all in your preference. I have a 32G because I load a lot of movies. If space is not a necessity, opt for the 8G.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the quick response, everyone!

I've been looking for a while and the forums here were a crucial part in my wanting a Thrive, in addition to the hardware advantages I mentioned.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I will probably go for the 8GB if I can get it new as opposed to the woot and other deals which appear to be re-manfactured or otherwise different from the normal models.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1969 times
    Great!
    Just keep your eyes on the sales flyers. Also, don't be afraid of refurbs. Majority of them are indistiguishable from new other than a shorter warranty (which SquareTrade can offset for a very reasonable cost).
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    i'm running a 8gig, with a 64gig SD card.
    3gig app limit means there's really no reason pay for more.

Plus if you root (which you really REALLY should) then many apps can be moved to SD card, thereby potentially giving you greater storage than a 32gig Thrive.
    Though I doubt the cumulative total of all apps in existence is more than 70gig lol.
    So unless you're worried about your SD card popping out, and/or forgetting it, I can't see any other argument to buy a more expensive 16/32gig version.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I purchased a 32G I've installed bunches of apps maybe (20) from the market and I still have 29G's left. I think the difference in price is minimal and if you can spring for more memory I think that,s a good choice. I don't know how expensive SD cards are but for the price you might pay buying these you could put toward a larger GB Thrive. I agree its good to purchase close to home just in case you have any hardware problems with the device you can return it with no hassles.

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    i would buy at lease the 16gb one.you can get a SD card to put your music,pictures,movies on.

Ads