• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Lifespan of the Toshiba Thrive

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Durability

Having owned several Toshiba laptops and other products over the years, the one thing I can say for Toshiba over some other brands is that they make a very durable product. Some of their laptops that are NOT classified as rugged have held up better than some other manufacturers 'ruggedized' hardware. For this reason, I think we own one of the longest lasting tablets on the market. Like someone already said, most of us will likely just upgrade to newer technology before the Thrive quits.
    GrandPrixChris likes this.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    fabian5003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rn2God View Post
    Having owned several Toshiba laptops and other products over the years, the one thing I can say for Toshiba over some other brands is that they make a very durable product. Some of their laptops that are NOT classified as rugged have held up better than some other manufacturers 'ruggedized' hardware. For this reason, I think we own one of the longest lasting tablets on the market. Like someone already said, most of us will likely just upgrade to newer technology before the Thrive quits.
    Oh thank you! That makes me feel so confident. I hope it lasts at least a couple of years. That's the reason I'm not convinced about the Galaxy or the iPad, they look and feel like a fragile lady. The Thrive is definitively the macho of tablets xD

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    On battery life I read a few comments said to check the screen setting and the brightness of your screen could be big hog use.. I stay plugged in while on. I haven't used the battery by it's self much. I soon will see we have a trip planned so will see how battery life works for us.
    Cheers, Jeanette ,
    "I am strong. I am invincible. I am redhead

AT100
    Rooted (DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0002 )

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    @forestplay
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian5003 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for these answers, I feel more confident now. I already ordered the Mojo case, $22.99 on Amazon, It has some really good reviews.

I found the first problem, the battery only lasts 6 hours, with Wi-Fi on around 70% of the time, is this bad? I've heard it should last at least 9 hours.
    The battery life with depend on which apps are running and which wireless services you have active (wifi, Bluetooth). It will also vary depending on how much of that time the screen if on and how bright you have it set.

I've been amazed at the life of the battery. I keep both wifi and BT on all the time, have the screen set for ~75% on the slider with auto brightness checked on. I also have it set to turn off the screen after two minutes of inactivity. I have never fully discharged the battery, but have used it for hours and expected the battery to nearly discharge only to notice it's at ~50%.

I bought a spare battery to use when I don't have access to AC power. I actually have not used it yet.

Since you're new to the Thrive, check out the page I created with Amazon links to all the accessories I bought with mini-reviews of each. You can see it in my signature below.

-Bob
    fabian5003 likes this.
    My Thrive: 10.1", 32GB, Android 3.2.1 HTK55D.31.5.0003
    Accessories: 32GB SD, Blurex case + more
    (click to see reviews of all my Thrive Accessories).
    Thrive transfer file using DropBox <== click to get your free storage.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    fabian5003
    Thank you, I ordered this morning from Amazon a spare battery, they're really cheap (for a tablet). It'll come handy at the airport

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    @forestplay
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian5003 View Post
    Thank you, I ordered this morning from Amazon a spare battery, they're really cheap (for a tablet). It'll come handy at the airport
    You're welcome. Glad I could help and have a great trip.

-Bob
    My Thrive: 10.1", 32GB, Android 3.2.1 HTK55D.31.5.0003
    Accessories: 32GB SD, Blurex case + more
    (click to see reviews of all my Thrive Accessories).
    Thrive transfer file using DropBox <== click to get your free storage.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rn2God View Post
    I agree toshiba makes good products. I've owned one of their laptops about 5 years now and it still runs great. I almost went with the Samsung Galaxy not knowing that Toshiba had a tablet in the market. Thank goodness I found this forum before making my purchase. We should get plenty of good years with our tt. Mine is protected with a moko case most of the time. I also have a bobj case with makes it feel really sturdy in the hands.
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy192 View Post
    I agree toshiba makes good products. I've owned one of their laptops about 5 years now and it still runs great.
    March 2003 issue, maybe March 2004, Satelite A75 laptop. The best computer ever made. Actually there was some issue early on about bad ground connection and Toshiba replaced something at no charge. No bug fixes, they did it right the first time around. And it even has a parallel port which by now nobody even knows what it might be, yet it's so useful for various gadgets
    I think Thrive will survive a looooong, loooong time.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    I bought mine the day.......no, 10 minutes after it came out and it's only gotten better. No issues no damage no problems. It just works. I don't notice any loss in battery life yet and I use it every day. I did do a factory reset once after installing a few hundred apps, it started to get a bit sluggish after a few months and had a long boot time. But after that it's better than new with all the updates. After 4.0 it might even get better. I've had several toshiba laptops and never had an issue.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    fabian5003 likes this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Actually it does have slightly less battery life than some of the other "main" Android Tablets, but that by itself doesn't bother me when it couples with everything else.
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads